Changes in the object rezzing model?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Folks, I encountered two changes over the past week, involving rezzing objects.

For over three years, I've been flying little airplanes that can shoot bullets. Everything has always worked fine for over three years in many different sims, but as of the past week, I've encountered some different and strange behavior:

1. In some planes, after shooting several hundreds of bullets, the plane stops rezzing them. I have to rez a new plane to be able to shoot again.

2. With every shot, the plane gets a tiny impulse from behind, to compensate for tthe recoil that is cause by rezzinga bullet. The compensatory impulse has always been well-calibrated. The netto impulse speed upon shooting has always been zero. Until recently. Recently, I notice a slight residue impulse, making the plane go forward upon every shot.

So here's my question:

Did Linden Lab recently change it's object rezzing model? Has the grey goo fence become more stringent lately? (I didn't get any warning dialog in Firestorm.) Also, has there been a change in physics/trezzing/vehicle, resulting in less recoil impulse on the object rezzer?

I noticed the same problem with all kinds of projectiles : bullets, rockets, guided missiles, etc...

Sometimes they work fine, then stop to work after a few shots.

If you are in a place with more than one sim, you will probably notice that sim crossings make them work again, or stop them to work properly.

I'm a VICE system user, but I was said that bug has affected other combat systems too.

I wonder if you are seeing BUG-4196 - Temp prims rezzed by temp vehicles/NPV's/apps cannot rez temp prims after being sat on for more than a minute.

This issue reports:

After the recent change that makes rezzed prims inherit the rezzer's autoreturn time, temp prims rezzed by sat on temp rezzers, die instantly once the sitter has sat on the rezzer for more than 60 seconds.

This is having a impact on temp combat vehicles or NPV's or other temp sat on rezzing apps.

Please either make sat on temp prims not count down their autoreturn timers or make temp prims not inherit the rezzer's auotreturn time.

I thought that vehicles used a different prim-pool to either temp objects or the scenery/parcel count, though there are some ancient bugs that can hit on sim-crossing. So a sat-on vehicle shouldn't be affected by parcel prim limits. Are some Temp-prim features now being applied to Vehicle-prims?

I know that there is an anti-griefer aspect to this new Temp-prim behaviour. If a distinction has been lost here, is it documented anywhere? If it is intentional, that is.

This isn't actually true. It seems to be one of those things LL put in to effect then undid somehow. Vehicles currently use the parcel pool.

I've hit a couple of situations where i'll get half way across a region, flying normally, and hit a full parcel, resulting in the loss of the aircraft. So alas, they borked the plan to have them draw from a different pool

• 3 weeks later...

Maestro Linden added a comment - 21/Oct/13 1:40 PM

Hi Arduenn, it's currently expected that temp-on-rez objects rezzed by other objects inherit the expiration rez time of the object that rezzed it. That said, there's an existing feature request to change this behavior when the rezzing object is a vehicle, to allow your use case without enabling abuse (such as objects which recursively rez themselves to become immortal).

I could not find this feature request.

Also, I just checked a temp vehicle (Nov 9, 2013). It still stops rezzing temp items after 60 seconds.

Thank you.

Does Maestro mean that builders will have to udpate all the vehicles built these past 10 years, in a way to activate the new feature ?

I'm aware that nothing is eternal, especially in SL, however I'm not sure it was necessary to break thousands of vehicles including a combat system. What did we get in return ?

Oh yes... sims crossings problems... once more...

Maestro, if you read me, I really invite you to suggest Linden Lab taking into account the community of aviation before any change being able to affect the physic. We use the kinetic properties of SL on a daily basis, close to their limits, the slightest mindless modification can completely paralyze us in our activities.

Moreover, some of the aviation builders use very sophisticated scripts, and will be among the first ones to notice a problem wich can be invisible for static users who consider SL as a social network only.

On the other hand, a validated change by our care, would have quite the chance to be considered as positive by an immense majority of demanding players. Everybody would gain at it.

There is a fix for this in the pipeline.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours/Minutes/2013-11-07

Maestro Linden: another change in the upcoming maintenance RC is a feature request that came from this group a few weeks agoMaestro Linden: that objects rezzed by sat-upon objects should have a fresh autoreturn and temp-on-rez timerMaestro Linden: so that they'll last the full ~60 seconds (for temporary) or parcel autoreturn timeMaestro Linden: we've also got the odd edge case where a temp-on-rez attachment rezzes stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.