How do I get back no copy items lost attempting to drop on land without the correct group title set?

Nomi Claremont

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Many times I have attempted to drop items where I didn't have the right group title set and the item seems to just be 100% gone.

Now I've lost a very costly item.

Where do these things go and how do I get them back?

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

To the reply below. It must be something more.

This is repeatable.

It's not anywhere on the sim, even 0,0,0,0. It's not in lost and found or any part of inventory. The owner did not remove. This is instant. From inventory (no copy item) drag to ground (without prem to drop/rez items) to gone.

Thanks,

3 answers to this question

If you don't have the right group tag on, you generally can't rez items at all.  They just stay in inventory.  If you succeed in rezzing items and they are later removed by the landowner or by an autoreturn, they normally end up in your Lost & Found folder.  On rare occasions, you may rez objects that the servers don't know what to do with.  Those items often end up in the sim's "garbage collector", in the extreme SW corner of the sim at location <0.0,0.0,0.0> -- underground or under water.  In even rarer cases, items are lost completely. 

You can try looking for items anywhere on the sim by using the tool at Build >>> Pathfinding >>> Linksets. With it, you can locate objects by name or by the owner's name and can either return them or TP yourself to them.  That tool will find any objects that are still on the sim.

• Like 1

Nomi Claremont wrote:

[ ... ]

This is repeatable.

It's not anywhere on the sim, even 0,0,0,0. It's not in lost and found or any part of inventory. The owner did not remove. This is instant. From inventory (no copy item) drag to ground (without prem to drop/rez items) to gone.

Thanks,

In that case, try a variation on what Ariel is suggesting.  Sometimes when the servers toss an item back to your inventory, it doesn't show up in the cached COPY of inventory that is on your own computer.  That's possible if you have a weak or flaky Internet connection, as could easily be the case if you have been using wireless, for example.  Relogging may indeed force your viewer to update cache, making the missing item reappear magically.  You can do the same thing more deliberately, though.  Here's how >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

IMO, the most important sentence in those instructions is the one that says, "While inventory repopulates, do not teleport anywhere, and do not attempt to access anything in your inventory."  Just relax until the rebuilding is complete.

BTW, those instructions will work for any SL viewer, although obviously you have to look for folders with our own viewer's name on them if you aren't using Firestorm.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.