Mesh texture loosing detail

Steffy Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Love texuring and hand drawing my own mesh textures. After a little break from creating I noticed my textures loose at lot of detail once uploaded and applied on a mesh model. My latest piece had some hand drawn lace that looked gorgeous in Photoshop but once uploaded to SL lost its full detail. 
This texture has an alpha mask and has been saved as .tga . Even used smart sharpen and unsharp mask but none worked. (on photoshop)

Help/tips would be much appreciated. 

Did you use texture size which is powers of two? Second Life supports the sizes listed in this link:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_sizes

If you used some arbitrary texture size instead of the supported ones, then upon upload SL will resize the texture to the nearest one it supports. In this process some detail most likely will get lost. So it's always better to use only the supported texture sizes, then SL has no need to resize the texture. As for the file format - TGA is very good to upload textures.

Why there is an alpha channel in the dress texture I wonder? It can cause unexpected results with other textures having alpha channel (like hair textures for example). A better choice would be to use no alpha channel in the dress texture.

• Like 1

Coby Foden wrote:

Why there is an alpha channel in the dress texture I wonder? It can cause unexpected results with other textures having alpha channel (like hair textures for example). A better choice would be to use no alpha channel in the dress texture.

Presumably the requirement is for see through lace and not a solid texture with lace on top.

• Like 1

Thanks for the texture size info. I will give that a shot and see if it helps.

As for the alpha mask, the lace was a texture feature that I did, which is not on the mesh (I don't create mesh only texture it), therefore I've created the alpha so I could have the transparency when applying it on the mesh. Not sure if that's the root of the problem. 

Personally I find uploading PNG files to SL is much easier and simpler to work with than TGA files.  In photoshop just work on a canvas that is set to transparent background.  Erase that areas of your texture you want transparent add a drop shadow to the layer if you want and save as a PNG file.

I am not sure but you might have to merge the layer with the drop shadow with another layer with nothing on it so the shadow become apart of the layer instead of an effect before saving it as a PNG.

Before I knew SL could upload PNG files I used a lot of TGA files.  I am telling you PNG files are so much easier and faster to work with.

As far as the blurring of your texture yes you have to use one of the sizes mentioned in an earlier post.  I also found it helpful to do a slight sharpening of the texture after saving it in its final size just before uploading to help the texture stay crisp.  Unless you are doing a very small texture that you have the option to upload as a lossless compression SL's uploading process always blur the texture slightly due to the type of compression they use.

Hope that helps. :)

Cathy

I have seen at least one case of this, where a blue navy digicam texture would get compressed on a military jacket and actually look green. Turning on Full res textures in the Advanced menu or rezzing the object separately in world would get it to correct itself. Which isn't entirely ideal. Not sure if it was something about the setup or complexity of the model that kept it from showing the regular texture to start with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.