can bots have mouselook crosshairs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

ok maybe a silly question, but sometimes i see avatars that are like 6 years old and look like noobs... but are still using those camping places where they can get a few L$.

And i've heard about those "smart bots"... but those avatars all have a mouselook thing. (the ones i saw).

Can those avatars be bots? Or can bots have that mouselook thing at all?

Abby

'Mouselook' is an avatar's first-person view.  A bot is just an avatar that is controlled by a program, not a person.  Ergo, a bot can use mouselook.

Also, since it's a first-person view, YOU can't see it.  Do you mean you are using the "where are they facing, OMG, drama, someone's looking at me" crosshairs?  Bots, being avatars, also have those.  They have everything any avatar has except a human driver - and may even have one (or more) of those at times.

The oldest bots didn't try to sent camera hints at all, but some newer bots and text clients do add some so the avatar looks a little more "alive".  Nearly all bots that generate LookAt targets implement them a little differently from how a normal LL-derived client would, with both timing differences and a different choice of what hints to use when.

LookAt hints are totally under the client's control. The location and color of the crosshairs you see don't necessarily have anything to do with what the avatar is really up to. There used to be a viewer gag in circulation that would randomly land crosshairs all around the region, just to mess with people who took them seriously.

Even though I ran bots, and am known in the forum for it (or I was), I never got technically deep into them, so the info in your post is news to me - and interesting news, too. My bots were simple. The least simple of them were hybrids, using both LSL and OpenMV, and did simple things like logging in and out, moving around in pre-set paths, getting on and off objects. Stuff like that.

oh i see. Well yes i was talking about those "lookat hints"... Sometimes they stay gray in front of the avatar, sometimes they become blue for a few seconds or sometimes they stay pink.

I was just wondering if bots can do that too. Someone told me if an avatar has that then its NOT a bot ;)

Abby

When the xploders were very common in many places in SL there were always some bots by the xploders. Some had even crude AI. They replied if you said something including their name in the chat. One of my "favourite" bot was very polite one. I had many times fun chatting with it. When I said something using the bots name, it always replied. What I found amusing was that where ever I was standing in relation to the bot (side, back, etc.) it always turned first facing towards me and then started typing its reply to me. If somebody else talked to the bot then it turned facing them and replied. Sometimes many talked to the bot and the bot was busy turning and turning and giving replies to each one of the chatters. It was pretty cool.

:matte-motes-big-grin:

AbbyFraser wrote:

oh i see. Well yes i was talking about those "lookat hints"... Sometimes they stay gray in front of the avatar, sometimes they become blue for a few seconds or sometimes they stay pink.

I was just wondering if bots can do that too. Someone told me if an avatar has that then its NOT a bot
;)

Abby

Yeah, when bot software and custom viewers were still in their infancy, that was a difference you could mostly rely on. So whoever told you that was just working off old information. Good rule of thumb: if there is something bots seemingly can't do, then someone is working on making a bot that can do that, or already has.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.