Animating a texture vertically

anselm Hexicola

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been playing around with llSetLinkTextureAnim for a mesh build I made.

Setting the second "mode" parameter to include the SMOOTH flag moves the texture sideways, ie. along the x-axis.

But what if I want the same effect but up or down, ie. on the y-axis?

Can that be done? (I experimented a bit with the cell animation option, but I failed to get this result.)

OR, as I fear, do I need to rotate the UV map of that part of my object? ( I was hoping to avoid uploading the mesh object again ...)

3 answers to this question

You need to rotate the texture in RL.  There's no other way.  That does NOT mean uploading your 3D model again.  Just go back to Photoshop or GIMP or whatever you used to create your texture and redraw the pattern.  This is a good time to use the Local Textures feature in your viewer.  It lets you preview textures on your in-world model and tweak them until you are happy before you have to pay a L$10 upload fee.

• Like 1

Eh? I though anim smooth always moved the texture in the prim/face/surface's local X direction (positive or negative). So the prim or whatever has to be rotated to get the desired direction in-world.

@ OP - I'm a bit out of touch so Rolig may have an easy answer but this might need to go to the scripting forum (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/bd-p/LSLScripting) so we can argue about it. We're only meant to give short answers here, not discuss the whole thing.

It does, Peter. The issue is that if you rotate the prim to get the motion at 90 degrees from whatever it was, the texture rotates with it. If you want to rotate the texture without rotating the prim, you have to do that before you upload the texture. The texture will always move in the direction of the local X axis.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.