Still can't open edit window

Nikilei

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I reinstalled SL but still no edit window. I right click on an object and get the correct menu but clicking on "edit"  gives me the move tool but no edit window. I would have thought reinstalling the software would have fixed this problem but it didn't.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ok, I did 3 clean reinstalls; rebooted my computer; made sure everything is up-to-date; still the edit window won't pop up. Is there any possibility that I accidentally clicked on a setting in preferences or somewhere on the toolbar? I even set it to allow builds on the land [I rent a homestead]. Any other suggestions or ideas?
Thanks

12 answers to this question

perhaps have you shifted the window out of sight... where to check, create a cube on the ground, right click it => attach as hud, then push CTRL-3 (edit shortcut), right click it again and zoom out with your mouse wheel to see if the edit window is not out of fields, in which case you'll can then move it back.

• Like 1

Hi Nikilei,

By "move tool" I'm presuming you mean the red/green/blue axis arrows that you drag to move things around, right? 

So we know the viewer is in edit mode. You asked this question last Thursday and were given the advice to shrink the viewer window by zooming out while editing a cube you'd attached as a HUD. That can sometimes pull in a window that's been shoved to the very edge of the screen. It sounds like that didn't work.

So we may be looking at a corrupted settings file that has the edit window so far off in space that zooming out can't locate it. A clean install may take care of this, but that will also delete other settings and all your chat logs.

Here are instructions for doing a clean install of Firestorm. They're actually applicable to other viewers, so long as you adjust for the different naming...

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall

Come back to your question here and edit it via "Options" on the right to update us with additional information. This will keep all answers in the same place (so we don't suggest the same thing over and over) and prevent other questions from being bumped off the front page.

Good luck!

• Like 1

The reason to perform a "Clean Install", and by that I mean locating and deleting the hidden SecondLife System Support files, is to delete the XML configuration information files which include things such as the last position of an Edit Window. If you earlier accidental moved an edit window to a now inaccessible place in your viewer display, this is how to reset it easily.

OK Do the following:

1) Reinstall SL again using the official version from Linden Lab. [be sure to do a clean install]

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life...

Here is the Windows 8 Manual System File cleanup procedure since it's not in the procedure above.

Windows 8
1.Using File Explorer -> Libraries / Computer / ( C: ) / Users /
2.Press the Continue button to get permission to obtain permanent permission edit this directory.
3.From the View drop-down menu option select Options & Change Folder & Search Options
4.Select the View Tab
5.Under the Hidden Files and Folders options click on the - O Show hidden files, folders & Drives radio button
6.Push the Apply Button then the OK button.
7.Open C:\Users\\AppData\Local and delete the contents of your Temp folder and the SecondLife folder.
8.Uninstall Second Life using the Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel.
9.Download and install the latest release of the Second Life Viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/.

2) Login using that Viewer and wait for a complete Login and Inventory rebuild.

3) Afterwards, you may use any viewer you prefer but I recommend a clean install of that viewer as well following their instructions.

• Like 1

Hi Karen,

I don't know if you saw my edit to my question but I just added that I did all that was suggested here including a reboot but still no window. I am also wondering if there is something I accidentally checkmarked in preferences or in the "build" drop down menu.

I hadn't remembered this; may no be pertinent but when the window disappeared, it was open as I was moving something but an item next to the item being moved disappeared and I never was able to recover it. I may have moved the cursor accidentally or maybe left an object profile window open or, well I just don't know. If a solution isn't found, I may have to move to Phoenix or something. I like SL though and hope I can keep it.

Thanks

Wow - The Clean install should have fixed this for you since the manual deletion of the SecondLife support files gets rid of the XML settings files.

OK. Login and do this one thing. Ctrl-3. The default position for an empty Edit window after a clean install should be in the upper left corner of your screen aligned next to the toolbar buttons, Also verify that your clean install was successful by telling us that you had lost all your preferences and had to reestablish them again. If you didn't need to re-enter your preferences again then you missed deleting one of the hidden system folders

There are no preferences settings to eliminate the Edit dialog from your session. On top of that that same Ctrl-3 window also has the Dialogs for several other feature options on it as well.

If this issue is still haunting you you need to Submit a Support Ticket as I have no idea what to advise you to do next.

• Like 1

YES!!!!!! I finally found the errant file and was able to do a true clean reinstall; have the window back again and everything is back to normal!! I am glad that you encouraged me to try the reinstall one more time. I have dual hard drives and one file was still on my D [where I had Secondlife stored on an earlier version but it didn't pick up.

Thanks so much, it's good to have this out of the way but, new learning for me- on the bright side : }

i dont have a answer ---the same thing is happening to me ---and if you find out the answer please im me in world and let me know---i am almost in tears over this --i cant edit anything and i have been in sl for years and never had this problem--i am on firestorm 4.6.5 and i havent a clue why my edit menu wont pop up----it just dissapeared --not sure if i hit a function key by accident or something wish i could help you but i cant figure it out myself lolll 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.