New Graphics Card

Misashi Kohnke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey SL, I recently bought a new laptop with one of the newest AMD graphics chipsets ( Radeon HD 8350g ).

When I open the viewer it tells me that my graphics card isn't compatible. My last laptop also had an older amd and it had no problems what so ever. I can log in but I can't adjust my graphics higher then low. I can play any other game on max graphics so I know it can handle it.

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8350G.89653.0.html

The AMD Radeon HD 8350G is a processor graphics card in the AMD Richland APUs (A4-5150M). It offers only 128 VLIW4 shader cores (8650G: 384). The 8350G has no dedicated graphics memory, but shares the main memory with the CPU cores.

The integrated UVD3 video decoder allows the full decoding of Multi-View Codec (MVC), MPEG-4 Part 2 (DivX, xVid), MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and Adobe Flash HD videos.

According to the clock rates of 514 - 720 MHz (Turbo), the performance should be only a few percent above a Radeon HD 7420G. Thus, the Radeon HD 8350G performs similar to a dedicated Radeon HD 7450M. Modern and demanding games (2013) should be only playable in very low settings and resolutions. Without fast dual-channel memory the performance drops even more.

The shaders of the chip can also be used for general computing.

The APU is manufactured in 32nm and rated at a TDP of 35 watts. This allows the chip to be used in notebooks from 13 to 14 inches or bigger.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+8350G

As you can see it's not a very promising chip to play games on. Actually the worst.

So here's the golden protip when you buy your next lappy: do reasearch first, buy computer later.

The problem is the viewer is not recognizing your video card. It does its recognistion by a file in the install directory known as the GPU Table. Eventually your card will be shown as supported by a GPU Table update. The viewer doesn't do any real testing of your system or video card to know how to adjust the viewer or whether or not to allow it to run. Most of the decision is based on what it finds in the GPU Table.

If your like me, you would prefer not to wait.

See: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/08/26/gpu-table-performance/

Just edit your GPU Table file. The next viewer update will likely over write it. So, keep a copy of the entry you make in the table. Use that until you see the Lab add your card to the table.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.