Alright, I give up. (Avatar Help)

JDFzzy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought an item called Free Furry Starter Kit. It's in my inventory. And I have NO clue how to use it. I click and I just hold it and I can't "rez object" because every where I go that's not allowed. I right click and none of the options seem useful.

What do I do?! T_T

Your furry avatar is certainly boxed, as most items in Second Life. You have to go a place where you have rights to rez objects. Look for a sandbox if you do not have a land of your own (type "sandbox" in search and just pick one preferably at the bottom of the list since these ones will be less crowded and griefers free).

Here is the knowledge base about opening boxes and how to use their content. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Opening-boxes/ta-p/700185

ETA: And, please, don't give up! :smileyhappy:

• Like 2

Okay, well, at least I'm not totally brain dead. I had a feeling a sandbox place meant I could do that, so of course the one I went to gave me that same "can't rez object" thing.

x_x

Thanks for your help. Hopefully I can find a place that lets me do this.

Well, I finally got all my stuff. And after a while, I found out that not only could I not edit any of the things I purchased, but it looked worse than the default ones.

All in all, I got to say, editing your appearance is probably the least user friendly thing I've tried to do in anything ever.

Also, my avatar keeps disappearing chest deep into the ground everytime I go to edit something. There's only so much a guy can take and I don't think I'll be logging into Second life anymore. Maybe if it gets a LOT more user friendly I'll give it another go, but it's been out for ten years, so I'm not going to hold my breath. Good lord was that experience a nightmare...

If you were expecting a 'free starter kit' to look gorgeous, then you must not realize most people who make things in sl are here to make a little money. The fur things in those kits are generally things that have been around since '07-'09 and as such, they look terrible.

Though since you're new, you also might have been wearing them all, which in a starter kit, is never really a good idea since it might contain multiple copies of similar items (several different tails or ears, for example). Your best bet is to join some furry groups and ask around for GOOD freebie items. A lot of people in the fur community (myself included) enjoy helping newcomers out. If you feel like you might want to come back, shoot me a message and I'll get you started.

As for the sinking into the ground thing, that's fairly new. LL released an offset height thing for shapes so if you're shorter or taller than usual via a deformer or a mesh avi, you won't sink into the ground. If your shape is mod, right click yourself and hit edit shape, go into the body tab and go down to the bottom. You'll see something like offset or whatever. It should be at 50 for default. Change it to 51 or 49 (whichever is better) and save. You might sink again, but it should sort itself out.

These are the Apocalypse Now lines that I nearly used:

• I'm proposing we change the thread title to: How do I get into this chicken-spit outfit!
  • Dun-dada-dundun dundadaDUNDUN daDADADAAAA. (Not sure if that's recognisable, it's supposed to be Die Walkure)

Because if you're not watching classic war films while helping new users, you're missing all of the tension.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.