Easy Way to Hide the Banner Ads in Google Chrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm reading the Forums and this ad comes up in the top location with HORRENDOUS flashing borders that makes it impossible to see anything else on the page. I refresh a few times and that dang ad keeps coming back. I close the Forums, go do something else, come back an hour or so later .. and that freaking ad is still there, but now it's in BOTH the top and side positions. OMFG!! I need a way to get rid of that thing!

I use Google Chrome and thankfully it has a very neat trick that lets me hide the banner ad rapidly. Just follow these steps:

1. Right-click the mouse just to the left of the top Banner Ad
  2. Select "Inspect element" from the pop-up menu (usually at or near the bottom of the menu)
  3. When the Inspection Panel opens, you may need to expand a few collapsed elements, but you will eventually find one that contains the text "google-dfp-placement-wrapper". Click on and select that line
  4. Press the "H" key on the keyboard

PRESTO!! The top and side banner ads go away .. instantly. WHEW!

The following image at full size shows what line to highlight:

Hiding Banner Ads.jpg

Storm Clarence wrote:

I don't get it?  Why would anyone use Chome? 

I am teasing somewhat.  But, your suggestion/tip, imo, is analogous to using a one-shot elephant gun to shoot a fly.  And there are thousands of flies. 

Any good ad-blocker works when you don't want to work.  

Ahh .. but you see, there are still some of us old-foggies ... errr fogeys that like shooting things one arrow at a time. Yes, it is quite reasonable to obtain and keep a B.A.R. in your arsenal, but sometimes you just wanna knock up a slender shaft and let 'er fly! *grin*

i only switched to chrome because Firefox is a lagmonster now..

i loved that browser but it just took forever to get anywhere or to watch a video..

i had it since before it was firefox and just called mozilla..back when it was the only browser that came out of the shoot with popup blocker on..

i would much rather use it than chrome..but i just can't get it to run nice anymore..

math problem.jpg

Pie Serendipity wrote:

Lynda Baran wrote:

Easiest way is not to use anything google.    google is evil.

And cars should be banned because they have killed more people in the last decade than were killed in all the wars of the twentieth century.

Except for my car.

You reminded me of a math problem I saw the other day.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.