KeyframedMotion questions

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, so I've finally returned to my transport system using llKeyframedMotion, and I have two questions.

1. Do we still need to worry about adjusting times to even multiples of 1/45th of a second? The wiki still says to do it, but I think it may need to be updated. I seem to remember an office hour transcript saying this was fixed so that distances will be precise regardless, and without time adjustments my transports seem to hit their marks quite accurately. Anybody know the poop on this?

2. I notice that if an avatar sits on something that is already in keyframedmotion, sometimes the object is pushed off course/rotation and sometimes not. Before I spend forever messing with anims and sit targets, does anyone know whether avatar collisions are inevitable on sitting?  This particular mesh transport is not phantom and has a large bounding box. If the avatar sits within it, could that be causing the problem?  Perhaps I should be looking at the transport's physics shape instead?  I wonder how to do that ....

Once sat in the transport, am I correct in assuming that the avatar cannot generate more collisions if their anim moves a leg, for example?  

Or does a collision just occur if the avatar's path 'passes through' the transport while getting to the sit target,?

Perhaps a carefully chosen sit target and anim can reliably eliminate collisions?

Thanks in advance ...

I'm not aware of any of the things you describe, so I've no idea whether they're still problems or not, but there's some confusion behind this part:

Nika Talaj wrote:

Once sat in the transport, am I correct in assuming that the avatar cannot generate more collisions if their anim moves a leg, for example?  

An animation won't cause the avatar to collide with anything with which it wasn't colliding before. Animations are not played server-side and the sim has no idea how anims look. The reason special animations are often used in physical vehicles to "fix" avatar collisions is to make the avatar appear to be in a reasonable riding position while allowing the avatar's collision bounding box to be up out of the way. I'd suppose the same would apply to seated transport of the KFM variety.

Qie Niangao wrote:The reason special animations are often used in physical vehicles to "fix" avatar collisions is to make the avatar
appear
to be in a reasonable riding position while allowing the avatar's collision bounding box to be up out of the way.

Ah!  I was wondering if people used special anims.  Just to be sure, you're talking about placing the sit target way up in the air, and using an anim that puts the avatar a few meters below the sit target?    I bought an inworld posemaker a while ago, I suppose I could actually try to USE it.  *glances dubiously at her inventory*

Yeah, at least that's how I've done it in the past, for physical vehicles. It's kind of tricky because one doesn't want the avatar's bounding box colliding with underpasses and stuff. If I cast around my Inventory, I can probably find some anims that do something relevant, although I've no idea whether they'd escape your Mesh's physics shape. Maybe I'll try it with some KFM-enabled thing and watch for collisions, just to see if this is even a viable direction. (I'm taking it on faith that collisions during seating actually is a problem for KFM, having no personal experience one way or another with that.)

EDIT: Hmmm. This doesn't appear to work anything like the way I observed it working when I made these offset animations. I swear they made all the difference in the behaviour of vehicles I was building (by letting me offset the agent's sitTarget from the avatars appearance), but with simple testing sitting on physical blocks, I can't replicate what I saw. So now I have no idea how the seated avatar's physics actually works.

Thank you for looking into it!  I'll detect collisions and set the sit target up above the mesh's bounding box & physics shape (thanks also for the tip there), see if it makes a difference. 

Overall, the behavior I see is that even for runs of 100-200 points, keyframedmotion is very very precise.  If no one is riding the vehicle, it ALWAYS seems to be precise, and with one or two avatars riding, it is precise about half the time you run a given long course.  About half the time (same route, same avatars)  it begins to yaw and pitch after a while. I'm not sure, but it looks like it's hitting the position coordinates correctly, but the rotations get wonky.

Characterizing this will take some time, but I suspect I'll find that some sort of collisions with the riding avatar(s) is the cause.  I'll post results here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.