Anyone know what kind of server and memory the sims run on? class 701, 801 doesn't say much :)

Aztral Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Anyone know what kind of CPU and memory the sims run on? class 701, 801 doesn't say much :)

The reason I am asking is given the new TOS (LL can now sell your uploaded works/products!), and given that SL continues to lose sims (48 just last week ~ 48*200 = $9600/mo loss of revenue right there) so i am looking into other 3D worlds like OSGrid, Kitely,etc.

From my research I've found that full SL sims use one core, homesteads 3 per core, opensims 4 or more core (then one core reserved for misc processing). But one core of which chip? What kinda clock rate does that core run at?

As a web developer I already have a dedicated server provider, and they have good rates. Now I am considering having them fire up another one for me, then I'll install Opensim, use one sims for me and possibly start renting sims myself.

So making sure the current processors they have can run sims effectively is important. That's why i said class 701, 801, etc. is meaningless :) Well, meaningless without an association like class 801 is quad xeon running at 3ghz, or whatever.

Which CPU or clockrate IS the important part

2 answers to this question

Anyone know what kind of CPU and memory the sims run on? class 701, 801 doesn't say much :)

The reason I am asking is given the new TOS (LL can now sell your uploaded works/products!), and given that SL continues to lose sims (48 just last week ~ 48*200 = $9600/mo loss of revenue right there) so i am looking into other 3D worlds like OSGrid, Kitely,etc.

From my research I've found that full SL sims use one core, homesteads 3 per core, opensims 4 or more core (then one core reserved for misc processing). But one core of which chip? What kinda clock rate does that core run at?

As a web developer I already have a dedicated server provider, and they have good rates. Now I am considering having them fire up another one for me, then I'll install Opensim, use one sims for me and possibly start renting sims myself.

So making sure the current processors they have can run sims effectively is important. That's why i said class 701, 801, etc. is meaningless :) Well, meaningless without an association like class 801 is quad xeon running at 3ghz, or whatever.

Which CPU or clockrate IS the important part

Aztral,

In reality this does not matter anymore. The Linden Lab Data Centers are all "virtuaki8zed" these days and individual Regions as well as the various Support Service functions [e.g.  Asset Management/ Login Management /Rendering services / Message Services / Security Services are allocated across many processors on a large farm of equipment.

Here is my earlier response to this question...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/how-can-you-find-out-what-class-of-server-a-sim-is-on-and-how/qaq-p/2178443

Regions are allocated as promised more or less, a Full Region is assigned to a dedicated CPU on a Server Blade that may contain from 4 - 16 CPUs. Homesteads are allocated 4 to a CPU, Mainland, & Open Spaces etc.

The real question these days is how well does your Region perform overall given the new architecture of the SecondLife environment and how much latency are you experiencing In-center and extra-center.

You can get an idea of how many Regions are being serviced on your Regions Host by using http://www.gridsurvey.com/index.php

Look it us and this survey will show you the other regions sharing the Host IP address with you.

One of my Full Regions shares it's IP address with 7 other Estate & Mainland Regions. This is a Server Class 503 product

My other Full Region shares it's IP address with 24 other Estate & Mainland Regions. [5 of these seem to no longer be running] This is a Server Class 801 product.

This gives you an idea about how many processors / CPUs are on the equipment being addressed by that particular IP Address.

Both of my Regions perform well within my expectations.

Given the [proprietary] Virtualizing Operating System Linden Lab uses on these Servers I guess the only performance exposure would be size of the pipeline for all the http traffic on the 801 versus the 501 server. But I'm assuming that the denser populated Host has some massive parallel networking going on for it to accommodate the communication workload for all the processors.

Both of my Regions are located in the San Francisco Data Center so my inter-Region latency is slightly less as visual cues and data exchanges between my regions do not need to travel to one of the other Data Centers in Texas or Virginia.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.