Rigging doesnt turn out right when uploaded to SL

Victoria Lovelace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im using blender. I am new to this. I am trying to make a mesh skirt prim. I would rather learn how to make these kinds of things myself than to depend on others, even if its just for small things like this. So I opened the avatar.blend into my program (using 2.62) and made the prim, linked it to the skeleton, have it in the appropriate position. i fool around with the pose of the skeleton legs and it all is in tact, the prim moves as it should in the program. but once I upload it to SL, its all jumbled up inside my avatars stomach and partially poking out her hip, its not even in the right place. it looks a mess. I have played with LOD options, and subdivisions, moving it lower to see if it unjumbles any, but nothing works. It does seem like the rigg might be in the correct spot though, because it moves with my avatars body movement/legs.What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. thank you! :)

edit: heres a picture of the preview in the uploader

http://i44.tinypic.com/dpd5ap.png

Im using blender. I am new to this. I am trying to make a mesh skirt prim. I would rather learn how to make these kinds of things myself than to depend on others, even if its just for small things like this. So I opened the avatar.blend into my program (using 2.62) and made the prim, linked it to the skeleton, have it in the appropriate position. i fool around with the pose of the skeleton legs and it all is in tact, the prim moves as it should in the program. but once I upload it to SL, its all jumbled up inside my avatars stomach and partially poking out her hip, its not even in the right place. it looks a mess. I have played with LOD options, and subdivisions, moving it lower to see if it unjumbles any, but nothing works. It does seem like the rigg might be in the correct spot though, because it moves with my avatars body movement/legs.What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. thank you! :)

edit: heres a picture of the preview in the uploader

http://i44.tinypic.com/dpd5ap.png

More information would be nice. It's kind of hard to say what you did wrong. Your terminology is a bit weird too. Like LINKED. I think the term is Parent to Armature. You then have to check it's weights. It's also probably better if you use the weights from the SL skirt, and not from the lower body, which with give you weird weights between your legs.

Maybe you can post some images from Blender?

yea i dont know the lingo too well lol. by linked i mean ctrl+p and "with automatic weights." Im not sure what you mean by using the weights from the skirt. I mean, if its attached to the skeleton, or armature, then how would I get the weights from the sl skirt? I didnt mess with the weight paints because i thought that it moved ok enough, at least for a first try and see how it looked in SL anyways. and heres a picture of it in blender ... not sure it will be much help though.

http://tinypic.com/r/16gao02/5

http://tinypic.com/r/w8qh5s/5

im not sure what other kind of pictures to provide. I put the graph texture on it to try and line the image scaling up right so i can just use the same texture from the actual layer skirt.

The only thing that I can think of is that if the item isn't facing the right direction when you export, it confuses the SL importer.

The SL import expects avatar front to be the view in blender when it's facing "right ortho" (that's the best way that I can describe it).  Or in other words, when you have the front view (1 on the numpad), the avatar will be facing to the right of the blender interface.

If your item isn't facing that way, turn it to face front towards the right and try again.  Beyond that thought, I have nothing else to offer.

Take a look at this article and see if it helps: Second Life Shape Export.

All the gory details start out in the article: Second Life Mesh Clothes Blender 2.6 Setup 2012 Tutorial.

The shape export proved to be a big problem for me. I thought I had my avatar's shape exported. I had tried OBJ and XML exports. Both have problems. So, if you are making a tight skirt, you WILL have problems.

thanks for the responses guys. I finally got it to rig right.  Ive literally been messing with this thing for a few days, and have remade it a couple times lol. So now im having another problem though. I dont know if its the verticies or the way its subdivided, but when I upload it into SL it looks kinda bumpy.. its not very smooth. in blender it looks smooth and it bends smooth, but in SL it haves a sharp crease in the center, and overall its bumpy looking. any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have my LOD on high, and i used the highest LOD for medium as well, and then set low and lowest to 0. it is set to smooth in blender, not flat.

ok, stop with all the modifiers, it won't help!

Get rid of them, you don't need that much subsurf either.  Core to the problem by the looks of things, is weighting of the vertices.  It looks like you're doing a fill in "prim" to go with a texture layer pants for a pencil skirt?

I feel that you're compounding a problem by throwing additional modifiers and processes on to what is a simple issue to address which is the weighting.  I'd start with far less geometry and weight that with a fraction of the vertices that you have there.

You can work on one side only and mirror the weights to the other side and with much simpler geometry it's sometimes just easier to edit the weights manually for individual vertices to fine tune but not sensible with dense geometry.

If you started with automatic weighting you'd likely have a better result.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.