Adding a 'creation prim' to a non-rigged mesh item that I want to be an attachment - Please Help!

Zanetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So far, I have been making rigged mesh clothing using templates, which works just fine.

I am now trying to make an attachment (goggles) with a mesh template from MarketPlace.

All goes well (texturing uv map, adding in shadow map etc) and they look great so far!

Problem - when I try to add in an invisible prim (creator prim as the root prim)  to name me as the creator they lose the positioning (position is fine without the prim) and get held in my hand.

I have tried to manually reposition while on a pose stand - when I hop off the stand they fly off my face and float around the head area. If I hop back on the pose stand they position correctly,

I think I am overlooking something or doing something in the wrong order - can someone please point out my error?

Thanks

Zan

So far, I have been making rigged mesh clothing using templates, which works just fine.

I am now trying to make an attachment (goggles) with a mesh template from MarketPlace.

All goes well (texturing uv map, adding in shadow map etc) and they look great so far!

Problem - when I try to add in an invisible prim (creator prim as the root prim)  to name me as the creator they lose the positioning (position is fine without the prim) and get held in my hand.

I have tried to manually reposition while on a pose stand - when I hop off the stand they fly off my face and float around the head area. If I hop back on the pose stand they position correctly,

I think I am overlooking something or doing something in the wrong order - can someone please point out my error?

Thanks

Zan

Attachments remember their attachment point (hand, skull, pelvis etc) and the position/rotation. The goggles alone will probably attach to the nose attachment point. When you link in a fresh prim as the root, that will default to the right hand as the attachment point. So what you need to do is, attach it to the nose, adjust it's position and your're done.

Rightclick > Attach To > Nose

The hand is the default attachment point. The reason the glasses are moving around is because, you left them attached to the hand. When you moved them, you merely put a bit of distance between the geometry of the hand and the geometry of the object.  The attachment itself remains intact; the distnace can't change that.  Since the glasses are still attached to the hand, they appear to float around as the hand  moves.

To make the glasses stay on the head, first detach them from the hand, and then attach them to a static point on the head.  The skull, nose, or an ear will work.  Don't use the eyes or chin, since those can move on their own, preventing the glasses from staying in place.  Since the skull, nose, and ears are fixed in place, relative to the head, anything attached to them will likewise remain in place, relative to the head.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.