Temporary objects not expiring for object owner

dd Temin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

FYI Maestro....

It is common practice to set combat rockets  and missiles as temporary objects so they will expire after 60 seconds in order to prevent any clutter  from these objects.

I have noticed that on the main Sim servers (agni) of 2 adjecent private islands......that the rockets and missiles are not expiring at the end of 60 seconds when  the rocket or missile tries to exit the SIMs into a non sim region(i.e "ocean side").  The rocket or missile  gets stuck on the  sim boundry   and remains visible only to the OWNER of the object for as long as the  owner is logged on.

If the owner attempts to edit the stuck object.....it dissapears.   Or if the Owner re-logs  all are gone.

Only the object owner can see the  stuck object, see any particles emitted, and hear any sounds being emitted.

I did the same experiment /test  on a mainland  sim  (magnum)...and  rockets and missiles just  go off the Sim boundry and disapear at the boundry  of a non-sim region(i.e. ocean side).

I did try reseting the region  but behavior was the same after the reset.

3 other  residents have experienced same behavior in these same 2 regions.

If you have experienced any such behavior  please leave a reply so we can understand the extent of this problem

Thanks  :)

FYI Maestro....

It is common practice to set combat rockets  and missiles as temporary objects so they will expire after 60 seconds in order to prevent any clutter  from these objects.

I have noticed that on the main Sim servers (agni) of 2 adjecent private islands......that the rockets and missiles are not expiring at the end of 60 seconds when  the rocket or missile tries to exit the SIMs into a non sim region(i.e "ocean side").  The rocket or missile  gets stuck on the  sim boundry   and remains visible only to the OWNER of the object for as long as the  owner is logged on.

If the owner attempts to edit the stuck object.....it dissapears.   Or if the Owner re-logs  all are gone.

Only the object owner can see the  stuck object, see any particles emitted, and hear any sounds being emitted.

I did the same experiment /test  on a mainland  sim  (magnum)...and  rockets and missiles just  go off the Sim boundry and disapear at the boundry  of a non-sim region(i.e. ocean side).

I did try reseting the region  but behavior was the same after the reset.

3 other  residents have experienced same behavior in these same 2 regions.

If you have experienced any such behavior  please leave a reply so we can understand the extent of this problem

Thanks  :)

This sounds like another flavour of the issue reported at BUG-3872 - 'Ghost' avatars and vehicles sometimes appear to an observer at the sim border.

Maestro gave reliable steps to reproduce this issue for the vehicles case as follows:

I figured out how to reproduce this reliably; it requires special positioning of the avatars relative to the sim borders.

You need 2 avatars, UserA and UserB, and also 2 adjacent regions, RegionC and RegionD.

1. UserA: Set your viewer's draw distance to 64m
  2. UserA: Figure out the subscription and unsubscription distances for UserB
    • Find out how close you need to be to UserB (within a region) in order to see object updates from UserB (terse updates when he's moving). This is the subscription distance.
    • Find out how far you need to be from UserB (within a region) before the sim sends an KillObject message, indicating that UserB is no longer on your interest list. This is the unsubscription distance.
    • In my testing, I found that the subscription distance is about 106m, and the unsubscription distance is about 118m.
  3. UserA: position yourself in RegionC so that your distance to the border of RegionD is between your subscription and unsubscription distances, and have your avatar face RegionD
    • When RegionD is to the north of RegionC, I found that <128,145,21> in RegionC was a good place to stand
  4. UserB: Rez a Kart right near UserA, and sit on the Kart
  5. UserA: Open the minimap, and verify that the minimap does not indicate any connection to RegionD. Verify that you see UserB's dot at the correct place on the minimap, too.
  6. UserB: Drive the kart straight into RegionD
  7. UserA: note that UserB's agent dot moves right to the edge of RegionC, but does not move further
  8. UserB: Stand up, delete the Kart, then log out
  9. UserA: note that UserB's agent dot still appears on the map
  10. UserA: move toward RegionD, to to inspect UserB's apparent position
  11. UserA: note that you see UserB's ghost and the Kart at the sim border, rotating slowly
  12. UserA: Right click on UserB's ghost, and observe that he disappears
  13. UserA: Right click on the Kart, and observe that it disappears

The expected behavior is:

• UserA does not see a minimap dot for UserB, after UserB moves into RegionD (which UserA is not connected to)
  • UserA does not see a 'ghost' of the Kart or of UserB when approaching the sim border

I spoke with Andrew about this, and we think the issue is that RegionC isn't sending the KillObject message to UserA because it assumes that RegionD will (as the vehicle and passenger are in RegionD). But RegionD can't send the message since it isn't connected to UserA. What should happen on region crossings is for the source region to check whether an observer is connected to the destination region, and immediately send a KillObject message for the crossing objects/agents to the observer is not connected to the destination.

Whirly

Unfortunately most of us cannot see BUG JIRAs, but I have observed this phenomenon many times lately while sailing.   One thing concerns me.  In the past if an avatar was "ghosted", despite being logged out it was not possible to log in again until the ghost avatar had been killed from the sim (usually by a restart).  Is this still the case?  In my innocence I thought LL had fixed this ages ago? Or is this yet another side effect of "The Interest List" code changes?

Thanks for the post :)

Since  no one else can see the status  or details of  BUG-3872...Could you post the current status or activity on this bug?

Dates  and any other details of the bug report?

Thanks again :)

Thanks also to Ayesha  :)

Anyone else out there seeing rockets or missiles stuck on the sim boundries that are only visible to the owner?

That bug was filed on Sept 13th 2013 and was verified and imported as MAINT-3166. None of us can see MAINT-3166 so we do not know what is going on with that issue now.

The interesting part of the issue I already pasted - which was Maestro's steps on how to reproduce and a theory on what the cause was.

The original report was for seeing avatars and vehicles "ghosted" at region borders frequently while sailing and flying around the Blake Sea regions and when you saw a ghosted vehicle/avatar, when you right clicked on it, both vehicle and avatar just disappeared.

Hope that helps  :)

Edit to add: Here is one I caught on video: http://www.screencast.com/t/reH2rvOPVD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.