Max graphics i could play on?

ELxCODYx17

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just recently bought a new desktop and it was recently shipped out and I'm still awaiting its arrival... I was wanting to know if I made the right desicion. I've been playing second life on a TOSHIBA laptop for 2 and a half years now and i always play on low graphics and would always still get frame rate lag like crazy even in none populated areas.. and i just wanted to get a computer that would play on medium with no frame rate lag what so ever. I will post my old and new computers' stats...

Old laptop-

AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-core Mobile m500 2.20 GHz

3 GB RAM

250 gb hard drive

Graphics card- AMD M860G with ATI Mobility Radeon 4100

New Desktop-

AMD Quad-Core FX-4130 processor
3.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory

1TB SATA hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Graphics With 1GB video memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities

I just recently bought a new desktop and it was recently shipped out and I'm still awaiting its arrival... I was wanting to know if I made the right desicion. I've been playing second life on a TOSHIBA laptop for 2 and a half years now and i always play on low graphics and would always still get frame rate lag like crazy even in none populated areas.. and i just wanted to get a computer that would play on medium with no frame rate lag what so ever. I will post my old and new computers' stats...

Old laptop-

AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-core Mobile m500 2.20 GHz

3 GB RAM

250 gb hard drive

Graphics card- AMD M860G with ATI Mobility Radeon 4100

New Desktop-

AMD Quad-Core FX-4130 processor
3.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory

1TB SATA hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Graphics With 1GB video memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities

It appears that the GT 610 is a terrible card for 3D gaming. It has a lower benchmark score than the card in your previous computer and all the reviews on it are warning people not to get it for 3D. The good news is that you can replace cards in a desktop system. I don't know if you can work out a way to get a refund on that 610 and get a better card or you may just need to buy a new card and toss the 610 (which is worth about $40).

I would try it out first. Maybe it will work better than expected.

I don't get it.

You bought already and are waiting for delivery. And only now you start worrying about the performance of your new system? Shouldn't you have done the market research like ... like BEFORE sinking good money on krappy computer?

/me shakes head

Oké, back to business: yes, what was going on in your head when you ordered a pc with a GT610??? Didn't you ever notice any of the forum threads here where ppl are complaining about how SL has their GPU for breakfast? Much more powerful GPUs than yours get fried and burned out on a regular basis. SL dosn't look like much but indeed needs much better graphic abilities than ANY OTHER application! So please toss that silly GT610 and upgrade to a GTX series card, at least 660. But check first if there is enough space and cooling in the case to fit it in and if your PSU delivers enough juice to run it.

So, you'll know...

With Nvidia cards the model number tells you quite a bit about the card. A 460 is a 4th generation GPU. It has, lets say 60 horse power. So, you may find a 260 card out performs a 610 in certain applications, usually games and high demand 3D.

it is sort of like having a 1990 model 600 horsepower car verses a 2013 car with 100 horsepower.

Whatever, you think you might buy, look it up here or over on SLUniverse to see what luck other people are having with the card.

eBay is a great source of cheap video cards. As high end games update they see some pretty awesome video cards. Plus companies that refurbish video cards that have been RMA'd sell on eBay and Amazon.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.