Tiny Community Beta Program Conclusion

Qwalyphi Korpov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hellos people of Second Life,

I almost never shop the marketplace.  I almost never complain.  I am not about drama. 

Here's the thing: Today I try the market place and something amazing is there.  They have a place to click for your own special community.  First one  listed is Tiny (naturally.)  I AM Tiny.  This is so wonderful.  Now I can shop for my tiny specific items instead of weeding through all the big stuff.

But NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The TINY Community is just a search for the keyword "tiny."  It's clothes for little girls and like that.  On the first page there is even this item:  BIGAVS MESH MACRO KIT.  It's a damn kit for making giant AVs.

So I call it the Tiny Community Beta Program because it's not ready for prime time.  My conclusion is it's crap.

I provide the warning above as a public service.

Hellos people of Second Life,

I almost never shop the marketplace.  I almost never complain.  I am not about drama. 

Here's the thing: Today I try the market place and something amazing is there.  They have a place to click for your own special community.  First one  listed is Tiny (naturally.)  I AM Tiny.  This is so wonderful.  Now I can shop for my tiny specific items instead of weeding through all the big stuff.

But NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The TINY Community is just a search for the keyword "tiny."  It's clothes for little girls and like that.  On the first page there is even this item:  BIGAVS MESH MACRO KIT.  It's a damn kit for making giant AVs.

So I call it the Tiny Community Beta Program because it's not ready for prime time.  My conclusion is it's crap.

I provide the warning above as a public service.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I gotta admit, Qwal, it's tough being a tiny these days.   With everything going on--from alpha layers to zits on child avatars--and a tiny can't even find a decent pair of pants on marketplace.  

What gives, LL?

Well... as a tiny I have tiny expectations.  Of course I also have my tiny problems.  So when I see there is a Tiny Community... I should expect very little.  So - my bad for thinking it was something nice.

Some things I found under various 'communities':

• Goth: glitter make-up and fur bikinis
  • Gor: latex clothes
  • Fantasy: modern skyboxes
  • Vampire: almost anything... but then vampires probably want most of the things we do? I didn't see any tanning beds, at least.
  • Furry: complete non-furry (fully human) avatars
  • Steampunk: all manner of cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic vehicles and gadgetry. Oh, and page one, position one... male genitals. Although to give them some credit, they did have a steampunk-styled control HUD.

Yay for vendors' attempts to game the search system by including popular keywords in their descriptions.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

...So I call it the Tiny Community Beta Program because it's not ready for prime time.  My conclusion is it's crap.

There was a consultation 3 or 4 years ago on which 'communities' would be supported.  AFAIK LL actually took some notice of residents' suggestions about them.  Everything else was designed to fit seamlessly with the rest of Marketplace - ie; it is, as you say, crap.  Perish the thought that they'd police the marketplace in any way; that'd put off the scammers, fraudsters, thieves and liars.

Kelli May wrote:

Some things I found under various 'communities':

• Goth: glitter make-up and fur bikinis
  • Gor: latex clothes
  • Fantasy: modern skyboxes
  • Vampire: almost anything... but then vampires probably want most of the things we do? I didn't see any tanning beds, at least.
  • Furry: complete non-furry (fully human) avatars
  • Steampunk: all manner of cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic vehicles and gadgetry. Oh, and page one, position one... male genitals. Although to give them some credit, they did have a steampunk-styled control HUD.

Yay for vendors' attempts to game the search system by including popular keywords in their descriptions.

Yep, search on the MP can be a roll of the dice.  Last night I was used the search terms "Victorian+hair" (without the quotation marks).  I was searching for hairstyles from the Victorian era.  I apparently should have included "female" in there because I came up with several pages of this:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AA-Casanova-Hair-Silver-victorian-baroque-rococo-roleplayer-mens-ponytail-hairstyle/1961033

Or this:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AA-0815-Judge-Wig-Creamblonde-victorian-baroque-rococo-roleplayer-mens-judgeking-hairstyle-Promo-color/4120306

While the second item was interesting (who knew one could get that, or wanted it, in SL!), the Baroque era "...encompassed the years of 1600-1750..." while the Victorian era was during 1837-1901, give or take a little on each era but distinctly different, including clothing & hairstyle.

Let's get it right!  When I'm looking for Victorian era hair, I don't want to end up wearing an English barrister wig.  :matte-motes-sour:

The community thing on MP is a mess because you are not penalized for using unrevelent keywords (like google would do for example) and that you get so much form using the comunities. Lets say you just built this new collection of hair, all you have to do is to add in the keyword Gor, Goth, Fantasy, Tiny, Vampire, Steampunk and you instantly get listed in each of them. Everyone use hair, right? same as genitals, chairs, trees in our yard, everything

So for the merchant:  no draw back to doing it and plenty of advantages. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Yep, search on the MP can be a roll of the dice.  Last night I was used the search terms "Victorian+hair" (without the quotation marks).  I was searching for hairstyles from the Victorian era.  I apparently should have included "female" in there because I came up with several pages of this:

Or this:

While the second item was interesting (who knew one could get that, or wanted it, in SL!), the
"...encompassed the years of 1600-1750..." while the
was during 1837-1901, give or take a little on each era but distinctly different, including clothing & hairstyle.

Let's get it right!  When I'm looking for Victorian era hair, I don't want to end up wearing an English barrister wig.  :matte-motes-sour:

Don't get me started. I've done some living history in RL, so I'm regularly frustrated/entertained by the average merchant's concept of historical garb. 'Medieval' as a search term will bring up classical Roman & Greek clothing, Viking weapons, Elizabethan dresses, Restoration coats, Victorian underwear and more Gorean silks than you can shake a whip at. 

One search tip... the search accepts Boolean* operators written longhand in caps, so try "victorian AND hair" (no quotes).

*George Boole lived mostly through the Victorian era, as it happens!

Kelli May wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Or this:

While the second item was interesting (who knew one could get that, or wanted it, in SL!), the
was during 1837-1901, give or take a little on each era but distinctly different, including clothing & hairstyle.

Don't get me started. I've done some living history in RL, so I'm regularly frustrated/entertained by the average merchant's concept of historical garb. 'Medieval' as a search term will bring up classical Roman & Greek clothing, Viking weapons, Elizabethan dresses, Restoration coats, Victorian underwear and 
more Gorean silks than you can shake a whip at. 

One search tip... the search accepts Boolean* operators written longhand in caps, so try "
victorian AND hair" (no quotes).

Hey they had fancy dress parties in the middle ages too!  All those medieval dressing-up as ancient Romans and Greeks and the way-out ones going for 'sci-fi' Elizabthan :-)

Kelli May wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Or this:

Don't get me started. I've done some living history in RL, so I'm regularly frustrated/entertained by the average merchant's concept of historical garb. 'Medieval' as a search term will bring up classical Roman & Greek clothing, Viking weapons, Elizabethan dresses, Restoration coats, Victorian underwear and 

One search tip... the search accepts Boolean* operators written longhand in caps, so try "
victorian AND hair" (no quotes).

Oooooo, I knew about Boolean search terms and thought I was using them with the +/- signs.  Errrmmmmm, apparently not. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:  Thank you!!!

Yeah, I get on the same mental rant doing "Medieval" or even "Victorian" searches on the MP.

Kelli May wrote:

Don't get me started. I've done some living history in RL, so I'm regularly frustrated/entertained by the average merchant's concept of historical garb. '
Medieval
' as a search term will bring up classical Roman & Greek clothing,
Viking weapons
, Elizabethan dresses, Restoration coats, Victorian underwear and 

What's wrong with viking weapons? The viking era was smack in the middle of the Middle Ages.

• 4 weeks later...

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

What's wrong with viking weapons? The viking era was smack in the middle of the Middle Ages.

Absolutely correct! I started posting about 'Renaissance' as the search term, then went back to Medieval. I should have re-read my post and removed the reference to Viking weapons. Too much editing, not enough correcting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.