Sign in to follow this  
Jer Straaf

Rare but annoying mystery...

I make both physical and non-physical moving vehicle systems, they run unattended and everyone loves them.

With certain non-physical moving vehicle systems, however, the owner will sometimes discover that a vehicle has stopped on its own. This is rare, it only happens every week or two of continuous operation. (I have also observed it first-hand, but have never tracked the frequency in detail.)

This rare situation is not the result of a sim reboot, people do that all the time and everything keeps rolling along, every single time, just like it is supposed to. Interestingly, the owner can touch the stopped vehicle to get the owner's menu and hit "start," the script has not been stopped, just the non-physical motion has been stopped! In addition, I have never seen any other type of vehicle, device or game system in SL "randomly" stop running like this.

My current theory is that when LL rolls out a server update, that is when it happens. And it might be just one type of server too. But it could be something else entirely and I want to start eliminating the possibilities.

Is there anyone here who has experienced something like this? Thanks!

I make both physical and non-physical moving vehicle systems, they run unattended and everyone loves them.

With certain non-physical moving vehicle systems, however, the owner will sometimes discover that a vehicle has stopped on its own. This is rare, it only happens every week or two of continuous operation. (I have also observed it first-hand, but have never tracked the frequency in detail.)

This rare situation is not the result of a sim reboot, people do that all the time and everything keeps rolling along, every single time, just like it is supposed to. Interestingly, the owner can touch the stopped vehicle to get the owner's menu and hit "start," the script has not been stopped, just the non-physical motion has been stopped! In addition, I have never seen any other type of vehicle, device or game system in SL "randomly" stop running like this.

My current theory is that when LL rolls out a server update, that is when it happens. And it might be just one type of server too. But it could be something else entirely and I want to start eliminating the possibilities.

Is there anyone here who has experienced something like this? Thanks!

I've seen the opposite problem with my physical vehicle, and my hypothesis for why it happens may also apply to your non-physical vehicle. It always happily returns to where it left off after a restart. However, every two or three months after a maintenance restart, I find it stuck against a wall trying to go somewhere it normally wouldn't.

My hypothesis is that sometimes the backup process for maintenance restarts doesn't properly store a moving objects coordinates, as if it stores its coordinates and then lets the object keep moving before actually saving the object (and any scripts which may have a more recent coordinate stored in memory).

For a physical object, I assume this would cause it to start somewhere backwards in time after the restart, as far as the script memory is concerned, while still trying to go to where it was on its way to before.

For a non-physical object, I assume that the disparity between the stored position and the position the script has in memory would cause the object to try going somewhere farther than 10 meters from its current position after the restart, which would make it go nowhere based on the restriction. You could test this by using the new llSetRegionPos function instead of llSetPos, which doesn't have the 10-meter restriction, if that's how you make the non-physical object move.

I have noticed that when the Lindens do the server version change,  that  it can cause a "change(CHANGED_OWNER)   event to execute.  In my script this event  is set to cause a script reset. So...is  it possible that  you have  something similar in your script?  just a thought....