Resize Scripts: A Brief Survey

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I copy the item before resizing and once the fit is correct I delete the script.

If the item is no copy then no, I'm forced to keep it in.

Though, it mostly depends on the kb size of the script. If it's ~128kb I'll not bother to delete it. If it's upwards though I delete it.

As far as I know I don't have resize scripts in any of the objects I've bought.  Certainly if they were ever there I've deleted them now.

Even if someone thinks their object *needs* a resize script there is never any need for more than 1 script, whatever the number of prims in that object.  Under LSO a script can only ever be 16k, under Mono it could be up to 64k but 'should' be able to run in less than the LSO 16k.

Any creator using more than 1 script for resizing is simply not doing their job properly.  There are several - free - resizer scripts in the scripting library (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/bd-p/LSLScriptingLibrary), including at least one that can resize the x, y and z dimensions independently.

Here is where your actions can effect every one.

Not all resize scripts run the same , some carry memory and  use child scripts a few do not.

It is hard to tell which is which (the good and bad)

All are unneeded, you can preform this task by hand and should.

I would hope in 2013 most designers have moved to sculpted and mesh when it comes to objects users wear and have become clever in ways to make things less links and easy for size adjustment with out a script.

Making sure you use the delete function is very important, only buying object containing those  scripts in a perms setting of copy is the key . That way you can keep a copy in the inventory with the script for future use and have one do use on the AV with out the script.

Be a selective shopper and keep in mind we all use the grid and your actions can effect others enjoyment of SL. Tell vendors you see with those scripts and no copy you did not buy it because of that fact.

If it's a no-mod object I'll usually copy it before deleting the script. That sometimes goes for other customisation scripts (tint & texture, etc.) if I'm only likely to use one version. It's annoying to trigger a script on an attachment every time I touch it, and however low-lag a script might be, no sim needs anymore scripts running than necessary.

If it's moddable, I often delete the script and don't bother with a copy. I don't need a script for a simple resize, and as others have mentioned, there are XYZ resize scripts available if I really need them.

If the item has copy perms, I archive the original with scripts intact and delete the resize scripts of the item I wear.

My opinion - I would MUCH rather just have items/clothing/jewelry have modify permissions instead.  The resize scripts don't always resize as fine-tuned as I like and/or some resize scripts only resize the entire item so it becomes too large when only a part needed resizing.

One thing I have noticed in the past year is that the resizer scripts in most of the clothes/jewelry/hair I've purchased are much, much lighter in resource uses than in the past. 

Edit: Typo

Short answer:

Yes, I have a habit of deleting resize scripts.

Long answer:

• Copy/mod items: I make copy, resize, edit if needed, delete the script.
  (Copy/mod items are my preferred ones.)

• Copy/no mod items: I make copy, resize, delete the script - if there is such function in the script.
  (I try to avoid no mod items.)

• No copy/mod items: I resize, edit if needed, delete the script.
  (I'm not eager to buy no copy clothing/avatar accessory items.)

• No copy/no mod items: I never buy those.  :smileyfrustrated:

It is very rare I buy an item of clothing that isn't mod/copy, so I don't normally need to worry about resize scripts (if there any I delete them anyway).

If I buy something copy that's not mod but contains a resize script, I keep a back-up copy I don't wear, and use the option to delete the script from what I am wearing.   If the item doesn't have a delete option, I send the creator a polite note, along with a free, full perms, resizer script that does have a delete option, asking him or her to send me an item I can delete the script from.

I very rarely buy transfer/no mod items of clothing (not knowingly, anyway).   I've got a couple of single-script resizeable belts that  I can't mod, and which I haven't been able to persuade the creator to fix for me, though, and those I leave the script in because I know I need to adjust the belt depending on what I'm wearing it with (higher or lower on my waist or hips).

In my Clothing Folder I have the following Sub-folders

Clothing

-----No Copy

-----Original

-----Sized & Ready

All my sized scripted items are copied from the Original Folder into the proper sub-category folder in the Sized & Scripted folder [e.g. Shoes, Hair, Feet, Nails, Wings, etc. ]

Once I've sized an item for my shape and/or coordinated outfit, I delete the scripts using the built in Delete option. I never remove scripts manually. This is especially important for complex objects like Hair. After that I put the total look together and then create an Outfit so the proper unscripted outfit is easy to find and put on in the future.

If I ever decide to change my shape, the original is there for me to use again. Scripted No-Copy items are a PITA. I keep those scripts intact.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I don't know that I've ever seen a resizer script on anything other than wearables: clothing/shoes/hair. Do other objects have them?

Jewelry, but that's a wearable too. ;) 

Ohhhh...I have two (that's two over 6+ years of inventory stuff) framed photos that are no mod but have resizer scripts.  I've never seen furniture with resize scripts, but they could be out there...probably fairly rare.

BTW, I have to say that while I appreciate the intent behind this thread (and read your comment in another that led to this) the replies here are almost all going to come from the 'well-educated' SL users.  Forumites are, to put it mildly, more used to having their assumptions questioned than the usual know-nothings, care-less, who are likely to put multi-MB scripts in an object in the first place or leave them there later.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I delete them. Sometimes I remember to make a copy first, sometimes I don't. Most times it doesn't matter much either way since I leave my shape alone. I don't know that I've ever seen a resizer script on anything other than wearables: clothing/shoes/hair. Do other objects have them?

I have a couple of motorcycles that have them - useful because motorcycles are very tricky to fit properly otherwise. (Very few vehicles are modifiable.)  I deleted the resize scripts after resizing them when I realized how extensive they were and sim crossing improved dramatically.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I delete them. Sometimes I remember to make a copy first, sometimes I don't. Most times it doesn't matter much either way since I leave my shape alone. I don't know that I've ever seen a resizer script on anything other than wearables: clothing/shoes/hair. Do other objects have them?

I have a couple of motorcycles that have them - useful because motorcycles are very tricky to fit properly otherwise. (Very few vehicles are modifiable.)  I deleted the resize scripts after resizing them when I realized how extensive they were and sim crossing improved dramatically.

Ahh, you're right. I should have added 'rideables' to my list; that makes perfect sense. I have a couple of four wheel vehicles that I wish I could mod a bit or resize, to get a more realistic driving position, but with a motorcycle it would be much more important. Kinda silly to be sitting on the seat with your hands a quarter meter away from (or beyond) the handlebars.

And to Czari: you're right about jewelry, I'd forgotten that but I'll just say I included it as a wearable. :smileywink:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Simple question:

As a matter of habit do you delete the resize scripts when you are finished editing an item or do you leave them in "just in case?"

If an item is modifiable so I can edit it / add my own resize script later, then after I edit it I delete the resize scripts.

If an item is not modifiable, I copy it so I can have a scripted backup...then after I resize the first, I delete the resize scripts in it.

if the item is no-mod..i usually just find something else..

if it is mod and resize scripts i'll get those..

i delete the scripts after making a copy..

then check to make sure the scripts are actually gone..if for some reason they don't  delete..

i then use a script cleaner script which does the trick..

I delete all scripts out of things I own unless they are vital to the ongoing function of the item. For those, if possible, the original scripted version stays in inventory and I rez or wear a copy, change the color, texture etc, to my liking and then remove the scripts from the copy.

I put a resizer in items I create that may need sizing for customers who don't know how or have difficulty using the regular build tools to fit an item or if the item is so complex that it would take forever to do.    The one I use has a delete option and I tell my customers in the instruction notecard to use it once they have sized the item.

I buy too many things to save a clean copy of them all. Sorry folks, I know I should.

Too many things is not modifiable the good old way. I am lost if I delete the scripts without making a copy, then I have to rename the item - and since it is no modify, I can't even rename it, so I make a new folder. Sometimes I wear stuff I buy just once or twice, so... I wear it and forget about it.

I deleted some of my old favourite stuff, since it is no modify with a script in every prim. I check script count and memory used on myself occasionally. A lot of the newer designers use very few and efficient scripts. I can wear very well put together and complicated outfits with scripts and use under 10 scripts with a total memory well under 1 MB. If I find items I want to use often, I check if they are heavy scripted. Then I take time to do something about it. Like my mesh boobs, I got a script tuneup that reduced the scripts from 23 to 2 and they still work with all the options intact.

I know I said I would only buy modifiable items. But I can't stop buying stuff that look just fantastic, even if it's no mod with scripts.:womansad:

Marianne Little wrote:

...I know I said I would only buy modifiable items. But I can't stop buying stuff that look just fantastic, even if it's no mod with scripts.:womansad:

Applause though - the rest of your post demonstrates that you know and care about the impact and do what you can about it.  In fact, you do a lot :-)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

BTW, I have to say that while I appreciate the intent behind this thread (and read your comment in another that led to this) the replies here are almost all going to come from the 'well-educated' SL users.  Forumites are, to put it mildly, more used to having their assumptions questioned than the usual know-nothings, care-less, who are likely to put multi-MB scripts in an object in the first place or leave them there later.

I was very aware that this unscientific survey was likely to produce slanted results, that the majority of respondents would be people who are better educated on this subject.

But surprises do happen, like when I did my survey on screen sizes.  I was expecting to see a lot more people with smaller screens because of the number of lap top users who post here.

Forums are no doubt one of the worst places to attempt to do a scientific survey.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.