Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chastity Broome

Residents

Recommended Posts

The Lindens just told me I have been "promoted" to Resident.  Now I have to wear a tag I didn't want--and there is no way I can avoid it.  The Lindens won't let me.  I feel violated.  I should have been given a choice.  The so-called advantages of a non-Resident are the same as if I had been branded as a Resident.  I think we should have a choice over this spurious promotion.  This is the first time in six years the Lindens have ordered me to wear a tag I did not want.  I'm annoyed about this enougn to consider not making it seben years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lindens just told me I have been "promoted" to Resident.  Now I have to wear a tag I didn't want--and there is no way I can avoid it.  The Lindens won't let me.  I feel violated.  I should have been given a choice.  The so-called advantages of a non-Resident are the same as if I had been branded as a Resident.  I think we should have a choice over this spurious promotion.  This is the first time in six years the Lindens have ordered me to wear a tag I did not want.  I'm annoyed about this enougn to consider not making it seben years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to panic...you have been assigned a Rank which has Roles you are allowed in the SL Forum Community. That's all. We all go through this process as we post and contribute to the SL Forums. Your Rank will change over time. These are similar to Ranking Systems in many other Forums on the Internet.

 

Roles and Ranks

  • What roles, or ranks, are available on the Community website??

    Like most online communities, we have a series of ranks/roles to recognize users who contribute content valued by the community. When a person first logs into the community website, they receive the New Resident rank. As they spend time as active participants, their rank will change. The higher the rank, the more exacting the requirements.

    Higher ranks in a community mean additional permissions or features may become available to you. The current rank groups and corresponding roles are listed below. Some roles have multiple different rank divisions within them. The main associated permission additions are listed after each rank/role.

    New Resident can:

    • Create a profile
    • Use private messages
    • Adjust preferences and settings
    • Please Note: As of September 1, 2011 New Residents will have an extended wait in order to receive HTML and Upload Image abilities 

    Resident can:

    • Use a signature
    • Use simple HTML in posts and signatures
    • Use uploaded images as their avatars
    • Upload images
    • Insert images they have uploaded in posts
    • Share uploaded images
    • Give Kudos
    • Include externally hosted (YouTube) videos in posts

    Member can:

    • Add a tag
    • Comment on KB articles

    Advisor :

    • Permission for Advisor has been merged with Member

    Contributor can:

    • Start new knowledge base articles and edit draft (unpublished) articles (cannot publish articles)
    • Nominate topics for knowledge base articles

    Helper can:

    • Allow user to edit published knowledge base articles (cannot publish changes)
  • How do I change in rank and permissions?

    It will be a natural progression based on community participation. Here are some of the general criteria used in the formula that automatically determines ranks/roles.

    1. Active participation in various areas including but not limited to: kudos, contributions that include appropriate posting, and accepted solutions
    2. Accepted Solutions You may notice that your rank has changed on your profile or on your messages. When that happens, look for additional permissions under the My Settings and under the options menu on your posts. 

     

    Note: If any of your posts or messages are removed, or if a received Accepted Solution is revoked by the question author,  your rank may revert to a previous level. This can happen if you are right on the edge of two ranks and no longer meet the criteria for the higher rank.

  • Can I elect to not show my rank?

    No, you cannot. But you do have other privacy options available to you. In your settings, under Social Connect in the Badge option, you can choose what information shows with your name on your posts. The options are Kudos, Accepted Solutions, and Topics. Rank and posts are always displayed. 

  • What icons are used for roles and ranks?

    The main icons used for roles and ranks are as follows: (VIP is not currently available)

    icons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, please....just leave the forum. You might get a heart attack, because ANYTHING offends and violates you... :matte-motes-asleep: Better you never enter ANY forum....or the internet at all. Just for your own safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

Oh, please....just leave the forum. You might get a heart attack, because ANYTHING offends and violates you... :matte-motes-asleep: Better you never enter ANY forum....or the internet at all. Just for your own safety.

I don't know about being offended but the way I read the OP is that the name “Chastity Broome” was being changed to “ChastityBroome Resident”. I was not offended but I was upset, I like my name and do not want it changed. But funny story:

I went to my e-mail to see if I had something from the Lab telling me about a name change but I could not get into my hotmail. They, hotmail, demanded I give them my phone number or another e-mail address so they can send me a security code that I would need to enter to get into my hotmail account. So... I now have a new live(dot)com email account so I could get the security code to get into my old e-mail account. Took me from yesterday to get into my e-mail and, No mail from the Lab about a name change. I feel a lot better now and I have a new e-mail account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teagan, I guesss it's all just a big misunderstanding here. OP has confused inworld names and tags with forum rank. If she has a real SL name it will stay that way. Nobody with  a "real" SL name (first+last) will be made a Resident all of a sudden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

and OMG when you become a "Helper" ...think "Fluffer"
:P

This made me weewee a little bit. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Previously, "Helper" to me meant someone who helped old dears with their shopping or toileting needs.

These ranks are rank. :matte-motes-dont-cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Teagan Tobias wrote:


Syo Emerald wrote:

Oh, please....just leave the forum. You might get a heart attack, because ANYTHING offends and violates you... :matte-motes-asleep: Better you never enter ANY forum....or the internet at all. Just for your own safety.

I don't know about being offended but the way I read the OP is that the name “Chastity Broome” was being changed to “ChastityBroome Resident”. I was not offended but I was upset, I like my name and do not want it changed. But funny story:

I went to my e-mail to see if I had something from the Lab telling me about a name change but I could not get into my hotmail. They, hotmail, demanded I give them my phone number or another e-mail address so they can send me a security code that I would need to enter to get into my hotmail account. So... I now have a new live(dot)com email account so I could get the security code to get into my old e-mail account. Took me from yesterday to get into my e-mail and, No mail from the Lab about a name change. I feel a lot better now and I have a new e-mail account.

This has raised my pulse ever so slightly; I can just imagine LL doing this to everyone, just to wind them (us) up. Bad enough I have become marigold.devin, over on the mysecondlife.com feeds. Grrrhhh!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isn't resident only needed for the v1 viewers anyways..wasn't it a fix for those because they needed a second name?

where V2 and V3 you are fine with just the one user name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:

isn't resident only needed for the v1 viewers anyways..wasn't it a fix for those because they needed a second name?

where V2 and V3 you are fine with just the one user name?

For logins, search and name tags in the viewer, yes its been updated.  Scripts however still use the last name of Resident for those with only one name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

I am constantly giving advice and they refuse to acknowledge it.

What do they have against Martians?

Inter-species prejudices have got to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:

isn't resident only needed for the v1 viewers anyways..wasn't it a fix for those because they needed a second name?

where V2 and V3 you are fine with just the one user name?

It's not necessary, but I do use it, my last name that is, “Resident”. I just logged into the forum with my name “TheVeryFirst Resident”. So needing to use it, or, needing to not use it, kind of does not matter for now, it works both ways, but for now I am “TheVeryFirst Resident”. And I kind of like the name.

My Display name is Lexie but I get called The a lot. I was even IM'ed once with, you don't really think your the very first resident do you. That made me giggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

I am constantly giving advice and they refuse to acknowledge it.

What do they have against Martians?

Inter-species prejudices have got to go.

i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

i like the blue M anyways..

it's kind of grown on me..

hehehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

I am constantly giving advice and they refuse to acknowledge it.

What do they have against Martians?

Inter-species prejudices have got to go.

i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

i like the blue M anyways..

it's kind of grown on me..

hehehe

But it's not fair I tell you, not fair at all!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:


i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

i like the blue M anyways..

it's kind of grown on me..

hehehe

 

You can't change: that jumping up and down F is still about the cleverest thing I've seen done on a forum badge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

But it's not fair I tell you, not fair at all! 
;)

Ahem... friendly advise from an Advisor...  :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:  :smileywink:

No need to be involved in the answers section to get an Advisor rank. I had no posts there at all when my rank was raised to an Advisor. I was scratching my head what did it? The only thing what I can think of is that when one has a certain number of kudos for their posts the rank will be upped from Member to Advisor.

So all Members interested to get (cool :smileytongue:) Advisor rank should start posting good posts to those forum areas where kudos are enabled. Good luck!

:matte-motes-big-grin:

 

PS.

To get a next higher rank; I have no idea at all what one must do.    shrug-1.gif

Well, the ranks do not mean much anyway.  :smileyindifferent:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

But it's not fair I tell you, not fair at all! 
;)

Ahem... friendly advise from an Advisor...  :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:  :smileywink:

No need to be involved in the answers section to get an Advisor rank. I had no posts there at all when my rank was raised to an Advisor. I was scratching my head what did it? The only thing what I can think of is that when one has a certain number of kudos for their posts the rank will be upped from Member to Advisor.

So all Members interested to get (cool :smileytongue:) Advisor rank should start posting good posts to those forum areas where kudos are enabled. Good luck!

:matte-motes-big-grin:

 

PS.

To get a next higher rank; I have no idea at all what one must do.   
shrug-1.gif

Well, the ranks do not mean much anyway.  :smileyindifferent:

 

I thought only the Answers section had KUDOS enabled.

But TBH, I hate the Answers section.   There is just something about the way it is formatted that feels like chalk on a black board to me.  I have tried using it a few times and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I may be stuck forever in my lowly state.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Coby Foden wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

But it's not fair I tell you, not fair at all! 
;)

Ahem... friendly advise from an Advisor...  :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:  :smileywink:

No need to be involved in the answers section to get an Advisor rank. I had no posts there at all when my rank was raised to an Advisor. I was scratching my head what did it? The only thing what I can think of is that when one has a certain number of kudos for their posts the rank will be upped from Member to Advisor.

So all Members interested to get (cool :smileytongue:) Advisor rank should start posting good posts to those forum areas where kudos are enabled. Good luck!

:matte-motes-big-grin:

 

PS.

To get a next higher rank; I have no idea at all what one must do.   
shrug-1.gif

Well, the ranks do not mean much anyway.  :smileyindifferent:

 

I thought only the Answers section had KUDOS enabled.

But TBH, I hate the Answers section.   There is just something about the way it is formatted that feels like chalk on a black board to me.  I have tried using it a few times and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I may be stuck forever in my lowly state. 
:(

We may all be stuck. To earn badges, you have to help people. To help people, you need people to help. Traffic here is declining. I agree, the design of the Answers section seems intended to dissuade us from helping. As a result, most questions are asked in the forums, where you can not vote for the quality of the answer, nor earn kudos to advance your rank.

The Lithium software in particular, and customer relations in general, seems outside LL's wheelhouse (I'm trying to avoid the word "competence" ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:

To get a next higher rank; I have no idea at all what one must do.   
shrug-1.gif
 


IIRC it is a combination of kudos and accepted answers.  The creation forums, AFAIK, are kudos-enabled or whatever the other cheese is.  Although I try to put in my time in Answers - the worst designed UI since Viewer 2's sidebar mk I - I think I became the first male helper because of the answers I gave in the scripting forum.

The questions in Answers fall into a few easily-answered categories:

  1. I'm new and have no idea what to do (answer: go to NCI, Caledon Oxbridge, etc. starter group)
  2. I can't do x because I'm an idiot (answer: as above or below)
  3. My machine crashes all the time/won't log in/lags like mad/doesn't even vaugely meet the system requirements (answer: update your graphics driver, stop using a crappy wireless connection, do a clean install, get a proper computer)
  4. There really is a bug in SL, eg; partnering, feeds, rezzing, groups (answer: no **bleep** Sherlock,  Wonder why it takes a 1-post, 2-day old avatar to see it?  I wish someone had noticed that 7 years ago and filed a JIRA.  Oh; they did, and LL have ignored/marked as fixed/rejected it - sometimes "completely changed it and you're talking rubbish")
  5. LL won't accept my credit/debit/pre-paid card or paypal (answer: LL is the only company on the internet that don't want your money.  Do something useful with it instead and enjoy SL for free)
  6. Rant, rant, RANT, your fault (answer: we're just residents, why not rant to LL?)
  7. Why? (answer: Because)
  8. Rumour said the sky is falling (answer: that's what rumour does)

[That's enough helper trade secrets for now: Ed]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

Conversely, I am upset that they refuse to recognise my Rank as an Advisor.

I am constantly giving advice and they refuse to acknowledge it.

What do they have against Martians?

Inter-species prejudices have got to go.

i think we have to be majorly involved in the residents answers section to get past member..

i like the blue M anyways..

it's kind of grown on me..

hehehe

But it's not fair I tell you, not fair at all! 
;)

You can come over to my castle, Perrie, and we can drown our sorrows in wine...or something. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...