Computer freezes at login.

Maringo Serrati

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This weekend I installed a new SSD with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit in my computer. I installed all my drivers and several common programs I used to have on my previous installment of Windows (Which was Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit). Among them I installed Firestorm. But when I log in, it freezes my whole computer at "downloading clothing" each time. I tried the same with the SL viewer and the Singularity viewer but all had the same result. I also tried Radegast, and there I can log in without a problem. My wife tried the same and also got the same result in all those four viewers.

I searched the internet to similar problems but couldn't find much, but did try the following:
- I made a clean install of the viewers today, without result.
- Before logging in, I cleared the cache, changed my graphics to low and my cache size to max. Still no result.
- I logged in to Radegast, removed everything I worn, logged out, opened Firestorm, logged in and it did work. So I let my inventory repopulate, put some simple clothes on with almost no scripts and logged out to let my wife have a go at this. She did all the same things but it froze the computer again completely. Then I tried myself and noted that the one tuime I could log in was just a bit of luck, because I crashed at the same point when logging in.

My computer specs:

GPU: GeForce 8500GT (With an up-to-date driver)
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 4GB

Does anyone had a similar problem or know a solution I can try? I'm at the end of my knowledge about this. The only thing changed in the computer is the physical drive and the type of Windows 7. 

This weekend I installed a new SSD with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit in my computer. I installed all my drivers and several common programs I used to have on my previous installment of Windows (Which was Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit). Among them I installed Firestorm. But when I log in, it freezes my whole computer at "downloading clothing" each time. I tried the same with the SL viewer and the Singularity viewer but all had the same result. I also tried Radegast, and there I can log in without a problem. My wife tried the same and also got the same result in all those four viewers.

I searched the internet to similar problems but couldn't find much, but did try the following:
- I made a clean install of the viewers today, without result.
- Before logging in, I cleared the cache, changed my graphics to low and my cache size to max. Still no result.
- I logged in to Radegast, removed everything I worn, logged out, opened Firestorm, logged in and it did work. So I let my inventory repopulate, put some simple clothes on with almost no scripts and logged out to let my wife have a go at this. She did all the same things but it froze the computer again completely. Then I tried myself and noted that the one tuime I could log in was just a bit of luck, because I crashed at the same point when logging in.

My computer specs:

GPU: GeForce 8500GT (With an up-to-date driver)
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 4GB

Does anyone had a similar problem or know a solution I can try? I'm at the end of my knowledge about this. The only thing changed in the computer is the physical drive and the type of Windows 7. 

The only thing changed in the computer is the physical drive and the type of Windows 7.

The physical drive shouldn't have any effect on SL BUT ... you switched from a 32-bit to a 64-bit OS!

My admittedly uneducated guess is the problem is caused there. The Pentium Dual-Core E5200, hmmm, afaik that's a 32-bit cpu. But then it should give you probs in other applications as well I guess. I don't know, was just an idea.

Maringo Serrati wrote:

The CPU can handle 64bit, I checked it before changing to a 64bit OS. Else I wouldn't be able to run Windows either.

That's not what she's suggesting.  Your CPU may be able to handle 64-bit, but for reasons that I do not understand some 64 bit systems have a hard time running SL, which is a 32 bit program.  Most computers will simply look at SL and realize that they need to emulate a 32 bit processor.  You may need to force yours:

• Locate your desktop shortcut for your viewer
  • Right click on the icon and select Properties
  • Select the Compatibility tab
  • Check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select Windows XP from the drop down

From the sound of it, though, you may have a damaged installation.  That can happen easily enough, and the solution is to do a clean reinstall of the viewer and try again.  Be sure you do it the right way, though >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Are you sure  the new Win 7 did not overwrite/change your  graphics video drivers?  The 8500  card is pretty old.

make sure you either  use original video drivers that came with  card  or download updated ones from Nvidia website.

good luck....

Edit...sorry i missed the part about radgast viewer does work correctly. You could also try Cool View  viewer.

http://sldev.free.fr/

So I tried Cool Viewer.

First I didn't do anything with the preferences and logged in. I crashed within a minute after I saw myself in world. So this is a first: I actually saw my avatar.

Then I set all the graphics to the lowest possible and logged in. Then I stood there about a minute before the whole computer crashed again.

I'm still clueless...

It is definately a hardware problem. While your gpu is old and never was top of the line it should run SL without problems. How does your pc fare with other applications? What are the temperatures? Cleaned it out lately?

Ok, now the diagnostic part is complicated and way over my head. Too many maybes in the equation.

RAM doing ok?

Mobo?

Everything connected nice and tightly?

Sure your spunky new SSD is ok?

PSU delivers enough juice?

My GPU was working with the previous HD (last week even!). I tested temperature of the GPU and others with SpeedFan. Everything was fine. Even when I tried overclocking it, everything became hotter than when I started Second Life and my computer survived everything.

I clean the case inside once a month and this weekend I cleaned it again while I was there anyways to install the new SSD. I opened up the case yesterday again to check every cord, even the ones I didn't touch while installing the SSD.

I also tried other heavy graphic applications and tried to force the maximum out of them. I played Civilization V on maximum settings online (everything went slow, but not a single crash); I tried several stuff within a huge 3DMax project (the program didn't liked it, it crashed, but the compuiter stayed alive),

With SpeedFan I can also monitor the PSU, nothing odd there.

I just finished putting the old HD back in the computer, and I gonna check in a few if SL still works from that one. Just to rule out the other hardware.

• 5 years later...

I have the same issue with my log in. I haven't been able to use second life for several weeks now. I think it is a malicious script someone gave me. I can log in on my other computer but the main computer i use crashes every time no matter where i log in, and no matter what account i use. It freezes everything, even ctrl alt delete doesn't work. I have to physically shut down my computer and then restart because task host continues to run. if someone can fix this issue in the next update that would be awesome. I'd love to play sl again

Edited by Angllla

Scripts in SL that are sitting in your inventory are dormant, they aint gonna do jack, even if you wore a scripted prim or rezzed a prim and put the script in it doesn't mean it's gonna do something, some scripts need activating or starting, and even then its not going to cause your computer to crash, it could cause an issue with the region you are logging in to but would then also impact you reaching that region from other computers and other avatars logging into or attempting to TP to that region.

Freezing & crashing could be down to a number of things. If you are using Firestorm get into the support group chat and ask for assistance there, they will need to know more info, including, but not limited to the system specs of the crashing PC, and at what point precisely things start to go south. 

The firestorm wiki has some pages you can follow as starters for some trouble shooting steps https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_run_crash and also https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_install_crash if you are using a.n.other viewer then those pages might still help but you should be seeking out the support groups for your specific viewer, or you can file a ticket (or try live chat if you are premium) if you use the SL viewer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

if      you  have  a  desktop   runing    windows   10  64  bit  .   I7-7700 cpu  @  3.60 ghz    , 16   gb or   ddr4    ram   ,  cable  isp   at  100 mb   ,   intel   hd  graphics  630   will   the  lack  of  a  real   vedio   card   stop   sl  form  working   right  and   locking  accounts   up  ?

13 hours ago, thomasmb728 said:

if      you  have  a  desktop   runing    windows   10  64  bit  .   I7-7700 cpu  @  3.60 ghz    , 16   gb or   ddr4    ram   ,  cable  isp   at  100 mb   ,   intel   hd  graphics  630   will   the  lack  of  a  real   vedio   card   stop   sl  form  working   right  and   locking  accounts   up  ?

There is an issue related to the HD630 and the latest driver -- see this post:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.