Streaming Music URLs Work in WinAmp, Not in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As everybody knows, it's a struggle to keep in-world media devices loaded with streaming music URLs that actually work. Just lately I've come across a new (at least, new to me) permutation of this problem: I have streaming music URLs that work just fine in WinAmp but won't work in Firestorm in SL. Now, I have all of the preference settings correct. I can hear some music URLs just fine. However, I can take a URL that works in WinAmp, and manually drop it into the "Music URL" blank on the Sound tab in About Land, and it won't work. I hear nothing. The URL appears to be properly formatted. In at least once case, I can take a URL from a working SL "radio" device (that is, the radio still does play some URLs correctly, and where this URL used to work), and copy it into WinAmp, where it works, then copy into About Land>Music>Music URL, and it doesn't work. Has anyone seen this? Is there an explanation, or is my only option to once again comb the Shoutcast listings to find more working URLs. Thanks.

As everybody knows, it's a struggle to keep in-world media devices loaded with streaming music URLs that actually work. Just lately I've come across a new (at least, new to me) permutation of this problem: I have streaming music URLs that work just fine in WinAmp but won't work in Firestorm in SL. Now, I have all of the preference settings correct. I can hear some music URLs just fine. However, I can take a URL that works in WinAmp, and manually drop it into the "Music URL" blank on the Sound tab in About Land, and it won't work. I hear nothing. The URL appears to be properly formatted. In at least once case, I can take a URL from a working SL "radio" device (that is, the radio still does play some URLs correctly, and where this URL used to work), and copy it into WinAmp, where it works, then copy into About Land>Music>Music URL, and it doesn't work. Has anyone seen this? Is there an explanation, or is my only option to once again comb the Shoutcast listings to find more working URLs. Thanks.

Esquievel Easterwood wrote:

As everybody knows, it's a struggle to keep in-world media devices loaded with streaming music URLs that actually work. Just lately I've come across a new (at least, new to me) permutation of this problem: I have streaming music URLs that work just fine in WinAmp but won't work in Firestorm in SL. Now, I have all of the preference settings correct. I can hear some music URLs just fine. However, I can take a URL that works in WinAmp, and manually drop it into the "Music URL" blank on the Sound tab in About Land, and it won't work. I hear nothing. The URL appears to be properly formatted. In at least once case,
I can take a URL from a working SL "radio" device (that is, the radio still does play some URLs correctly, and where this URL used to work), and copy it into WinAmp, where it works, then copy into About Land>Music>Music URL, and it doesn't work.
Has anyone seen this? Is there an explanation, or is my only option to once again comb the Shoutcast listings to find more working URLs. Thanks.

The text i highlighted seems to be key.  SL radios are just scripted devices that set the URL stream in the land management tools.  Therefore:I suspect that when you copy the URL from winamp and presumably paste it into SL that something is being picked up or left off the stream info.  Have you tried to manually enter it?

As for the problem of net stations ceasing to work in general there are several causes.  They move to a different stream, they cease operation, or they aren't full time stations and have perhaps changed the times they do operate.  There are radios in SL that poll the shoutcast website and give you a selection or stations that are currently broadcasting in the genre of your choice .  If a station is off the air for whatever reason, it is not shown as a choice.  You may want to invest in one of them.  They save a lot of hair pulling.

Thanks for replying. I realize I didn't explain that in the most straightforward possible way, so I'll try again: I can actually edit the streaming media device, go to the notecard that contains the music URLs, copy the URL out of the notecard, and paste it into Winamp, and it plays. I can paste the same exact URL into About Land>Music>Music URL, and it won't play. Typing it in manually makes no difference. If I type it into SL, it doesn't work. If I type it into Winamp, it does. Some months ago, this same URL DID work in SL. Now it STILL works in Winamp, but not in SL. Perhaps you can try it and let me know if it works differently for you. Here it is: http://66.225.205.5/ Thanks

Esquievel,

Your particular issue with the station you provided is it's encoding stream:

PROBLEM FEED

http://66.225.205.5:80 Server Status:  Server is currently up and public. Stream Status:  Stream is up at 64 kbps with 45 of 420 listeners (44 unique) Listener Peak:  173 Average Listen Time:  1h 40m 46s Stream Title:  Reggae Radio RastaMusic.com - 808 Live Reggaecast Content Type:  audio/aacp Stream Genre:  Reggae Stream URL:  http://www.rastamusic.com Stream AIM:  N/A Stream IRC:  N/A Current Song:  Jimmy Cliff - Many Rivers To Cross 

FMOD COMPATIBLE STREAMS

http://relay.181.fm:8032/ Server Status:  Server is currently up and public. Stream Status:  Stream is up at 128 kbps with 251 of 1000 listeners (237 unique) Listener Peak:  470 Average Listen Time:  13h 01m 32s Stream Title:  181.fm - The Mix Channel (70s, 80s, 90s and Today's Best Music) Content Type:  audio/mpeg Stream Genre:  Adult Top 40 Stream URL:  http://www.181.fm Stream AIM:  N/A Stream IRC:  N/A Current Song:  Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know

http://173.193.223.178:8346/ Server Status:  Server is currently up and public. Stream Status:  Stream is up at 128 kbps with 1 of 100 listeners (1 unique) Listener Peak:  17 Average Listen Time:  1m 32s Stream Title:  DJ Divinity [streaming Live] Content Type:  audio/mpeg Stream Genre:  Various Stream URL:  http://RadioDivinity.yolasite.com Stream ICQ:  NA Stream AIM:  NA Stream IRC:  #audiorealm Current Song:  Little Village - Do You Want My Job

Note that it is broadcasting a Content Type:  audio/aacp - FMOD prefers Content Type:  audio/mpeg

The FMOD Library that SL uses can not decode this stream where as your native radio playing application such as WinAmp & VLC & iTunes have no issue decoding this stream

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I would expect a radio URL in Land Audio to have a port number specified.  Your example doesn't which is a puzzle.  It appears to be the URL of a shoutcast webpage rather than an audio streaming URL.

The :80 is assumed when a relay plays on that port.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Esquievel,

Your particular issue with the station you provided is it's encoding stream:

Note that it is broadcasting a Content Type:  audio/aacp - FMOD prefers Content Type:  audio/mpeg

The FMOD Library that SL uses can not decode this stream where as your native radio playing application such as WinAmp & VLC & iTunes have no issue decoding this stream

Interesting. This URL used to work in SL, so they must have changed the encoding without changing the URL.

Thanks for your help.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I would expect a radio URL in Land Audio to have a port number specified.  Your example doesn't which is a puzzle.  It appears to be the URL of a shoutcast webpage rather than an audio streaming URL.

The :80 is assumed when a relay plays on that port.

I do not understand your comment.  However I can say that the radio I use does use URLs that have port numbers.  They are not often 80.   The OP said the same URL was copied, pasted, copied and pasted again without change.  And yet there was no port number in the example.  So someone is not being accurate I assume.

When a IP address is used with out a port designation, port :80 is always assumed.

Perhaps you are saying that in general telecommuncation software will append a port of 80 to any IP address that doesn't have a port specified.  I'm not really sure.   For music streaming a port of 80 isn't assumed by me.

A music streaming URL plugged into the Land Audio setting needs to match the port being served.  While 80 is a possible match it's not a likely match.  There should be no reason to guess what the port is since the OP would have had the port in the original Land Audio settings.

There is, btw, a URL which will work in world to access the same streaming content the OP was interested in.  It uses a higher bit rate.  It also does not use port 80.

Here's a bit of reference material regarding ports and their expected values:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

I would be very interested in know the origin of your "always assume 80" rule.  I suspect it was meant to apply to web browsing rather than the entirety of TCP/UDP communication.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

When a IP address is used with out a port designation, port :80 is always assumed.

Perhaps you are saying that in general telecommunication software will append a port of 80 to any IP address that doesn't have a port specified....

I would be very interested in know the origin of your "always assume 80" rule.  I suspect it was meant to apply to web browsing rather than the entirety of TCP/UDP communication. 

Yup, you are exactly correct  - the default HTTP URL port that all public HTTP servers use is port 80 if not otherwise stated in the requesting string.

As there is not an accepted default music stream port address or port range, most Servers offering Relay Services will specify a [:] port address to point to the associated [station / Account] service on the server providing the music [in many cases D.N.A.S. relay services]

In the case of the IP address offered by the OP, the D.N.A.S. relay services were being provided on port 80 and therefore did not need to be included in the URL string.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.