Second life and Psystation 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

would be nice if Linden could transfer SL on console...

i think that SL is a very powerful world, i know that SL is not a game, and playstation or Xbox are made to play games and other enterteinment subjects, but SL might be a very promising module to connect people in diverse SL worlds...

what do you think about?

would be nice if Linden could transfer SL on console...

i think that SL is a very powerful world, i know that SL is not a game, and playstation or Xbox are made to play games and other enterteinment subjects, but SL might be a very promising module to connect people in diverse SL worlds...

what do you think about?

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I think it's a stupid idea meant to cater to a "diverse population" that were born with joysticks in their hands.

Did you really mean to call the OP's idea stupid? It isn't something LL thought up.

LL won't port the viewer to a console. The viewer code would have to be rewritten -- I don't think any console understands OpenGL, for one thing. LL doesn't have people who know how to create console software and a company that does have the ability wouldn't have any interest in it. No money to be made.

I wouldn't want to run SL without a keyboard anyway. A joystick alone would make building and chatting very difficult.

I think it might be an interesting idea if LL could incorporate all the functions and keys SL requires. However, alot of people much rather use a keyboard (including me) to navigate. However, people shouldn't shoot down the idea just because of the feature of using a joystick. I would say it would be fine for just "casual" SL users (Just fly, explore, and chat via voice) but the idea is unlikely to happen. I think SL would have too much to cram into.

Sounds interesting. It has been successfully ported to mobile devices despite their limited processing power and clunkier input; with these latest generation consoles I'm sure the former would be a non-issue, but what about the latter? I'm not sure if these things come with a keyboard, but if they don't, how many users would be willing to either buy one, or plod through the on-screen alternative?

Consoles certainly have the processor and graphics abilities to run an SL viewer, unlike most of the toy phones that people seem to want to run it on.  Although that means there's no technical reason that would prevent someone creating a console application I can't, like everyone else, think of a reason anyone would particularly want to.

It seems unlikely that LL would do this but you can always write your own TPV :-) Let us know how you get on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.