protection of accounts

absolutelyangelic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

First of all the company behind Second Life is called Linden Lab (not Linden Labs). Beside that, your "complain" here has no basis. Here are no LL employees and we, as normal residents just like you, can't see the details of your AR case.

Even more, there seems to be a misconseption of "protection" of accounts. Your inworld trouble that leads to muting people and stuff like that has nothing to do with security. You mutinglist is also none of LL business. How safe your account is, is totally in your hands. If you act careless with your logindata or have bad luck its nothing LL can prevent and its also not their fault.

What kind of protectiuon are you interested in?  Nobody can get access to your account unless you give them your password, either on purpose or because you fell for a phishing scam. Your account may have been compromised if:

• You can't access your account.
  • You suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the payment source you have on file.

If this happens, follow the instructions at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017#Section_.5 immediately. 

Muting someone will only make it so that you cannot her what that person says.  If you send the person an IM or give the person anything, s/he will be immediately unmuted. In any case, muting does nothing to protect your account. It is simply a convenience so that you do not have to interact with the person verbally.

If you have concerns about being hassled in world or worse, I suggest reading the advice in the following two articles:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-deal-with-abuse-and-harassment/ta-p/1339983

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Fr43k_Paine/Dealing_With_Griefers

• Like 1

Ok So what all of you are contending is that the entity known as Linden Lab Is Not Only Violating its Own TOS agreement with Users of Second Life but its Sole purpose is to ONLY make money off the users and provide absolutely no Legal protection for the same users that pay for support in the game and pay for services?

Seems to me a reading of the Legal TOS is in order particularly section 7 subsection 3 of the TOS which states " Any Users found to be Guilty of Harrassing, Threatening, Distressing any User of Second Life Hacking or Reverse Engineering of Second life Game Code Shall be Banned from Second Life and Prosecuted to the extent of the law." Is cannon fodder since the Lab is not following the Guidelines that every last user has to agree to before allowed to used the service or services of this game.

Its Their own Legal Agreement and they don't have to obey it?

I would think they would obey it if we all have to.

That language is not in the TOS, Sect 7, which deals exclusively with Intellectual Property rights. You may want to review Sect. 6, which begins: "You agree to abide by certain rules of conduct, including any applicable community standards for the portion of the Service you are using) and other rules prohibiting illegal and other practices that Linden Lab deems harmful.

You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users. "

Here it is In black And White the TOS Showing the rules of the game and the Lab Not Enforcing it:

6.1 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

You agree that you will not:
(i) Post, display, or transmit Content that violates any law or the rights of any third party, including without limitation Intellectual Property Rights. We reserve the right to request at any time proof of permissions in a form acceptable to us. Failure to provide such proof may lead to, among other things, removal of such Content from the Service;
(ii) Impersonate any person or entity without their consent, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation, or if you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service;
(iii) Stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service;
(iv)  Post, display, or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;
(v) Post, display, or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; or
 (vi) Post, display or transmit any Content or conduct or host any activity that is sexually explicit, or intensely violent. Any violation by you of the terms of this Section may result in immediate termination of your Accounts without any refund or other compensation.

Yup. You are not allowed to do those things. If you do, according to TOS, Sect. 5.2 :

"5.2 We may terminate your Accounts for violation of this Agreement.

Linden Lab may suspend or terminate your Account if you violate this Agreement, along with any or all other Accounts held by you or otherwise related to you, as determined by Linden Lab in its discretion, and your violation of this Agreement shall be deemed to apply to all such Accounts. Upon termination of your Accounts, this Agreement between us will be automatically terminated and you may not re-subscribe or return to the Service through other or future Accounts you or others may set up."

Notice that the section begins with the words "We MAY terminate..." Linden Lab has the sole discretion to decide whether to terminate an account for TOS violation, and it may decide not to if the evidence is not compelling or if there are other considerations. The TOS is a contractual agreement, and it is up to Linden Lab to decide, "in its discretion", when its TOS have been violated and what to do about it.

absolutelyangelic wrote:

How do i make sure that the labs are truely protecting my account...I have muted several names and none of them are showing as being muted? Also I have filed a complaint against someone for threats and the tech turned it around that I was the one doing it.

What surprises me the most about this post is that "... the tech turned it around that I was the one doing it..." for it is rare for there to be a direct response about a filed complaint.

Linden Lab will protect a person's account as far as they can do so - ie they will not breach your confidential information, and would never ever ask for your password via anyone posing as a Linden Lab employee.  Also, as has already been mentioned in another response here in this thread, you must take responsibility for how you conduct your Second Life, use the tools that are available to you, be wary of emails that would appear to come from an official source which are phishing for your password and other such confidential information.

I have been a resident of Second Life for more than five years, and have had not one incident occur that would lead me to believe my account was not protected as far as possible. 

As for several names being muted by yourself, that is something I cannot confirm or deny. Where are you looking to see if these people are muted?  Their profile will not give you this information, but there is a tab somewhere within the viewer that usually lists which people and objects you have currently got muted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.