Why are there maximums on the Appearance sliders?

Kwimm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want bigger boobs than the current 100% allowed AND I like the physics. Prim boobs do not work with physics, although I have bought some which offer a 'jiggle'.  I find myself going back to the "tinier SL boobs" just for the physics.  I need an Appearance slider  AO  :)  

PS.  I once bought a set of prim boobs that did not have a maximum -  my boobs were bigger than the sim - I am not kidding.  I don't use those ones now, but I don't understand why LL has forced people to buy (or make) body parts that are in essence inferior to the avatar itself, in that they are an attachment that is worn.  At least the avatar can have boobs, whereas anyone who wants a 'certain part of the male anatomy' HAS to buy one as an attachment.  There is no other choice - like growing your own.

So, the main question remains - why are there maximums on the Appearance sliders?

24 answers to this question

I want bigger boobs than the current 100% allowed AND I like the physics. Prim boobs do not work with physics, although I have bought some which offer a 'jiggle'.  I find myself going back to the "tinier SL boobs" just for the physics.  I need an Appearance slider  AO  :)  

PS.  I once bought a set of prim boobs that did not have a maximum -  my boobs were bigger than the sim - I am not kidding.  I don't use those ones now, but I don't understand why LL has forced people to buy (or make) body parts that are in essence inferior to the avatar itself, in that they are an attachment that is worn.  At least the avatar can have boobs, whereas anyone who wants a 'certain part of the male anatomy' HAS to buy one as an attachment.  There is no other choice - like growing your own.

So, the main question remains - why are there maximums on the Appearance sliders?

For the majority of Second Life users, the maximum set on the sliders for all aspects of an avatar's appearance is beyond sufficient. Linden Lab had to draw the line somewhere.

Your post is the best enquiry I've read in ages though - and I am picturing a world full of humungous breasts (which would be paradise and purgatory in equal measure I think ) :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Personally I would rather have smaller more natural-looking boobies (in SL and in RL) than the overblown silicon perfectly rounded ones.

Other responses will surely follow. Thanks for making me smile today. I am sorry I am not v helpful on this one.

• Like 5

Kwimm wrote:

I want bigger boobs than the current 100% allowed AND I like the physics. Prim boobs do not work with physics, although I have bought some which offer a 'jiggle'.  I find myself going back to the "tinier SL boobs" just for the physics.  I need an Appearance slider  AO  
:)

The default avatar is actually a mesh - a model made up of polygons. There's no way to add more polygons to the model by using sliders. Therefore, when the sliders increase the polygons in that part of the body have to get bigger. The bigger they get, the worse things look because the polygons are flat surfaces. Part of the reason there are limits is so that body parts don't get so stretched they look like geodesic domes - actually avatar breasts tend to look like that anyway at the maximum slider values. The current avatar was made many years ago and the number of polygons is very low compared to modern models - mesh breasts have more, and in fact MANY more, polygons than the entire default avatar mesh.

• Like 3

I almost wet myself laughing too, at the thought of loads of extra large "moobs" banging about a sim - imagine the lag that would cause ! :matte-motes-shocked:

Even the men who believe they have made an extra good job of being female just don't realise what still gives them away - everything just has too much bounce with them for one thing bounce bounce bounce. :matte-motes-wink-tongue: :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

Those are Milwaukee's Mitchell Park Domes, less than an hour from me in RL. The domes house plants from non-native climates. I've been there many times. You just know that when the idea was pitched in the late 1950s, they probably saw plan variations with one, two and three domes and quickly discarded plan two.

;-)

ETA: Call me Maddy, I can't spell Madelaine.

• Like 1

They are there for your protection and mine.  ("Hey!  Get your sim-sized boob out of my eye!") :smileyvery-happy:

Don't think of it as "...LL has forced people to buy (or make) body parts that are in essence inferior to the avatar itself..."  The avatar mesh was created ten years ago.  Updating it would "break" nearly every single item of clothing in Second Life, and we'd all have to shop for new wardrobes.  Think of the howl that would arise from THAT! 

Because LL has kept things more or less stable, in the interests of preventing a mass public uprising, clever residents, seeing the limitations of the standard avatar, have invested a lot of artistry and ingenuity to create work-arounds and improvements.

According to The Making of Second Llife: Notes from the New World, the slider limits were set up to avoid things like a pointless height arms race. Remember the Monty Python sketch with the TV MC whose height fetish escalates into "Flaming Star--the story of one man's search for vengeance in the raw and violent world of international archeology"? ("Eleven foot six?! Damn you!") In the case of breast size, SL comes nowhere near accomodating RL variation (and for that matter, enforces a symmetry that doesn't exist in RL), much less people's fantasies. Arm length constraints prevent proportionality for taller avatars (hence the well-known "T. rex avatar" syndrome).

Worse still, the imposed limits cause interactions between sliders that make adjustment difficult, and force hacks that shouldn't be necessary. You want really long legs? You'll have to settle for a short torso and a short neck, thanks to the height constraint. Do you have proportions you like that you want to keep at different heights, say if sometimes you want to enjoy sims where they strive for consistent use of size, like 1920s Berlin? Good luck. If there were a simple scaling slider for the avatar it would be easy, but there isn't (despite its being proposed). There are lower bounds as well as upper bounds; if you want to be Mlle. Polaire in one of the Paris sims, it will take a hack to get her waistline. If you want to be a Tinker Bell style fairy, you can--thanks to people who had to do a lot of work to overcome the limits the sliders impose.

No, you can't increase the limits of the sliders in SL.

I wear a mesh body and the sliders impose limitations that restrict my mesh appearance more than the original SL shape so I was interested in this, but unfortunately there isn't a solution for this other than exploring other 'attachment' products.   Which like you said would not operate with physics like the natural SL shape or a mesh body shape. 

It saddens me that the responses to your really basic and straightforward question were not real answers but negative conjecture about you as an individual. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.