Updated LL TOS Claims FULL RIGHTS to ALL CONTENT

Toysoldier Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Czari Here's the link to the meeting (noon today -Sun 9/29) RiftRaven posted http://secondculture.pirats.fr/?p=4990

Also, the SurveyMonkey was a great idea! The checkbox controls didn't seem to work on MOAP, so instead I've added the link to my little notecard giver parcel as text in Say.

FYI...the notecard giver I have made is totally full perm, and has already has a notecard inside describing the TOS issue and calling on people to TAKE ACTION.

If youz want copy for your store (or where ever) just let me know. As I said, it totally full perms so you change everything is you don't like some part.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

I am posting an Emergency Meeting event that will be held
today (sunday Sep 29) at 12 noon SLT
regarding this issue.  Here is a copy of the inworld note and all those that are interested in this topic and meeting are invited....

*****  Beginning of Notice / Invite  ***

The Rose Theatre and Galleries has been an avid supporter of art in Second Life from it's very inception nearly seven years ago. We are deeply concerned about this volatile change in the Second Life Terms of Service, which is an utter break of trust between Linden Labs and all content creators.

Ernie Farstrider of EAST-WEST Galleries has offered up his Amphitheater to host a meeting of artists and all content creators to discuss this change, its effects and our consequent response.

Please don't think this doesn't affect you because you are a "small" creator. Not my choice of word, but rather some of the responses I've heard. With the loss of Renderocity and CGTextures as resources for textures, we may well be seeing just the beginning of a full-scale protest against Linden Labs for this unconscionable action. When creators and third-party materials providers stop permitting uploads to SL, don't think for a minute that you are not affected.

As new work can't be sold, tiers can't be paid. Galleries will close, Stores will close. It is a domino effect.

Imagine this. You are invited to display in a real life gallery. You're so incredibly excited and you hang your work on the walls and have your reception and the gallery owner turns to you and says, "Oh, by the way, I own all of your work now. I have full rights to it to do with as I please. It is mine."

How would you respond to that? This is precisely what Linden Labs has done.

Apathy can spell the end of this world as we know it. Come and be heard. Come and have a voice. Come and be a solution to the problem.

ALL content creators are encouraged to attend. Please forward this to your groups.

Kylie Addison Sabra, Curator

The Rose Theatre & Art Galleries

===========================

THE FOLLOWING FROM ERNIE FARSTRIDE

WHAT: Special -- "Emergency" -- Discussion Meeting

WHY: Second Life Terms of Service (ToS) Changes

WHERE: EAST~WEST Amphitheater

WHEN: Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:00 (noon) to 1:00 p.m.

WHO: Anyone who now or intends to hold and maintain, import, buy, or sell User Content in Second Life.

HOW: Principally by written chat.

PLEASE: Be prompt and take a seat in the Amphitheater quickly.

HOST: Ernie Farstrider, EAST~WEST~NORTH Galleries owner 
Gallerist

(take the second door from the right labeled "Amphi")

ive copied and paste the whole message in my feed and managed for it goes to trends

Well that's just great. lol :smileyvery-happy: Yeah thats pretty funny. lol It seems "Second Life" or the "Firestorm" veiwer I logged in with (just now) has a sense of humor, cause I logged in today (after not remembering the last time I did) and ontop of my name it says "Oh god it's RiftRaven". lol :smileyvery-happy: Ok thats actually pretty hilarious. Yeah thats a good one. lol

P.S.

I really don't remember writing that myself. Seriously,

so I'm still scratching my head over it. lol

Czari Zenovka wrote:

RiftRaven wrote:

Non fashion statement. lol He's actualy not that bad to me, I chose him cause he looks like a sort of victorian vampire. But I imagine he might look like a horrid, default, mutant, to more seasoned SL residents. Hopefully anyone who has read my messages by now, might have the idea that I'm a total clown, so they'll just think its normal for me. lol The candle flame thing. HaHa! 3 hours, niiiiiice. Be sure to add that to the marketplace description, and enable reviews! :smileyvery-happy:

LOL!  "Non-fashion statement" is the new black.
;)

Your post reminded me of being in a SL store last week and a "Glamazon" landed...actually more of a "Bimboazon" as (imo) she wasn't fashionably stylish but had the height slider to the max (there have been some heated debates the last month or so on General as to "realistic sized avatars" vs. what those of us who began in 2007 and likely earlier are used to; my avatar is taller than many of the current female avatars I see but I looked like a child av next to this chick), plus platform stiletto heels that increased her height another foot, stick thin legs, *and* the finishing touch - the stilettos were blinging six ways to Sunday.  I checked her profile and she was a new avatar.  The realistic size avatar proponents say that new SL residents don't max their sliders out...not sure that can be proven but I was wondering where she found the circa 2007-knock-your-eyes-out bling.  Of course she could be an alt of a retro-hoochie.

Retro-Hoochie. :smileyvery-happy: I hadn't logged in, in such a long time, I guess my avi dosen't look all that bad. I guess I just remembered him looking worse cause he was associated with the term "Default". I'm in the Amphi right now and had a hard time moving around cause I spilled soda on my keyboard a few weeks ago and my right Keyboard key sticks sometimes so I was kinda rotating for split seconds, untill I finally sat down somewhere. :smileyvery-happy: lol

SO I have a question to the crowd.  I was at the meeting today as well and I captured the entire transcript of the open public local chat.

Before I consider posting it here or on my blog, are there any TOS restrictions that would make it a violation for me to post the open public local chat conversation at the meeting?

I mean, I have attended countless LL called open office meetings whereby LL has done the exact thing... i.e. posting all open chat that happened on local.  I would think if they are allowed to do it - they would not do something themselves that would violate the TOS they created.

But... to be safe... can I or cant I post the local chat transcripts to this meeting?

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

SO I have a question to the crowd.  I was at the meeting today as well and I captured the entire transcript of the open public local chat.

Before I consider posting it here or on my blog, are there any TOS restrictions that would make it a violation for me to post the open public local chat conversation at the meeting?

I mean, I have attended countless LL called open office meetings whereby LL has done the exact thing... i.e. posting all open chat that happened on local.  I would think if they are allowed to do it - they would not do something themselves that would violate the TOS they created.

But... to be safe... can I or cant I post the local chat transcripts to this meeting?

i saved the local from the meeting aswell.

you can do whatever you want about it outside SL properties anyway.

Now, for posting here,  i think that the restriction is about IMs and not about local chat for what concern any publication within SL properties. 

But anyway you can post in your blog without pb, the restriction is only about what is possible to do within sL.

here you have the precise text.

you'll get it better than me since english is not my native language.

"

Remote Monitoring

Remotely monitoring inworld conversations (text or voice chat) without the knowledge or consent of all parties involved is a violation of the Terms of Service. If you feel recording a conversation is necessary, post a clearly-visible sign in the recording location so that all Residents who enter can see it.

32px-KBnote.png Note: If you record a conversation, and someone complains, then the abuse team will determine if you provided sufficient notice to the Residents recorded. Proceed with caution, provide documentation on your efforts to inform all parties they are being monitored, and find a secure area before recording begins.

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

"Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

(bolding is mine). So i think its same rule whatever its im or local chat, but anyway, you do what you want outside SL .. so you can post a link to your blog here anyway.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Given the (in)consistent nature of moderation in SL and in this Forum, I'd play the safe card.

The following link takes you to a place where you can download the PDF transcripts from the September 29th 12 noon SLT Secondlife inworld Emergency Meeting held to talk about the Linden Lab Aug 15 TOS change and what next steps Creators / Artists should do in response.

Following is the link to the open public chat transcripts that were captured, compiled, and published

http://toytalks.weebly.com/1/post/2013/09/transcripts-from-sep-29-sl-inworld-meeting-on-ll-tos-issue.html

To play it safe I posted these transcripts on my own blog and not here on the SecondLife forums.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

The following link takes you to a place where you can download the PDF transcripts from the September 29th 12 noon SLT Secondlife inworld Emergency Meeting held to talk about the Linden Lab Aug 15 TOS change and what next steps Creators / Artists should do in response.

Following is the link to the open public chat transcripts that were captured, compiled, and published

To play it safe I posted these transcripts on my own blog and not here on the SecondLife forums.

Now that my Once Upon a Time fix is now over (which was very satisfying by the way :smileyhappy: ). Its back to business. Thanks for that Toy Soldier. I took a look at that PDF, there were some messages that dissapered too fast for me to finish reading. So its very appreciated.

@Chic Aeon

Oh goodie!!! SUPER GOLD STARS!!! No way! lol :smileyvery-happy: I was gonna post that too but, I figured people would bump into it in Metaverse's article. But your'e right it does deserve it's own post cause its sooo upseting!

P.S.

So there's this moment... In the meeting. And, Mr Farstrider, asks Jed (don't remember Jeds full name) to 

speak in his turn. So everyones waiting, and waiting, lol and waiting, (im cracking up on my side of the screen lol)

but he never spoke. And I was, seriously, just about to type >>> "Jeds dead, baby! Jeds dead!" haha! :smileyvery-happy: But

couldn't do it! lol Even with all my clown powers (clown powers lol) I endedup practicing enormous constraint. I just had too

much respect for the Significant Event that was taking place, and the residents attending that were the heart of Second Life.

P.P.S

If you don't get that reference, you probably havent't seen "Pulp Fiction" and you NEED to watch it right away. lol

So I found yet another article, over todays meeting concerning the worrisome changes to LL's TOS. I was there at this meeting its a faithfull depiction to what took place, and remarkable how fast it was online afterwards. The entire article should be read by all Second Life residents (not just merchants) but close to its end it mentions a most often overlooked reason, why people visit Second Life.

http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2013/09/tos-meeting-at-ampitheater.html

The Survey that was put out to SL Content Creators via the free version of Survey Monkey has reached its 100 respondent limit.  As such, I have compiled the results and observations from this quick survey for you all to analyze.

You can see all the results in my blog:

http://toytalks.weebly.com/1/post/2013/09/secondlife-content-creators-survey-on-linden-lab-tos-issue.html

Thanks Chic. :)  It was such fun to meet many of you today "in person," see others I haven't seen in awhile, and make more new friends. *Winks*

I think today and the group that was formed is a huge, positive step forward.  I even convinced my SL brother to come (had to twist his arm) then he got all excited about participating. :)

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

i saved the local from the meeting aswell.

you can do whatever you want about it outside SL properties anyway.

Now, for posting here,  i think that the restriction is about IMs and not about local chat for what concern any publication within SL properties. 

But anyway you can post in your blog without pb, the restriction is only about what is possible to do within sL.

It's a really weird, murky part in the TOS about what can be posted regarding local chat.  I always thought that the restriction was on posting private IMs within SL and SL-related areas such as these forums without permission of all the people involved.  Then I re-read that the other day and saw:

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

"Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

(From the SL Wiki)

####

The bolded part sounds like it is "any" SL chat OR IMs, which can be interpreted to mean local chat without permission of all involved.  Anyone else read that differently. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.