Updated LL TOS Claims FULL RIGHTS to ALL CONTENT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Bliss Couture is closing and I just heard that AlphaMale is as well.  Bliss, to my knowledge, has not made any statement about closing due to the new TOS and I have no idea about AlphaMale; could be coincidental timing...but interesting.

No. Bliss couture is actually closing since monthes, and its not related with the tos changes.

Alpha male have announced their closing since weeks too and its not related to the tos changes either. 

World ends garden is closing and its still not related to the tos changes. ive talk with the owner and she said she leaves bec she has new projects in rl.

Beside that. Empyreal Dreams closed because of the TOS changes. They are migrating to open sim right now. and its a really really big and sad loss for sl.

But now im remembering about an interview of Rodvik earlier this summer where he said he wants now pro creators in sl... At this time some have been asking here in the forum what was this meaning. But we didnt had the answer... 

It maybe make sense now.

ill try to find some times this week end to find those threads about this and then find the link to this interview. But if someone here remember faster than me, it could be nice to point us to this link for this interview.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Bliss Couture is closing and I just heard that AlphaMale is as well.  Bliss, to my knowledge, has not made any statement about closing due to the new TOS and I have no idea about AlphaMale; could be coincidental timing...but interesting.

No. Bliss couture is actually closing since monthes, and its not related with the tos changes.

Alpha male have announced their closing since weeks too and its not related to the tos changes either. 

World ends garden is closing and its still not related to the tos changes. ive talk with the owner and she said she leaves bec she has new projects in rl.

Beside that. Empyreal Dreams closed because of the TOS changes. They are migrating to open sim right now. and its a really really big and sad loss for sl.

But now im remembering about an interview of Rodvik earlier this summer where he said he wants now pro creators in sl... At this time some have been asking here in the forum what was this meaning. But we didnt had the answer... 

It maybe make sense now.

ill try to find some times this week end to find those threads about this and then find the link to this interview. But if someone here remember faster than me, it could be nice to point us to this link for this interview.

I certainly don't have a clue what's driving the change in ToS, but absent a clear and concise statement from LL concerning the reasoning behind the change, I can't see professionals (those who expect to derive compensation from their efforts) wanting to risk their livelyhood here.

As I see it, the ToS invites amateurs... or the philanthropic!

;-)

Indeed Maddy and im really wondering about that too.. i think same than you, pro wont certainly wont want to come . But what if he was meaning he will hire ppl , a staff , for creating contents ? 

idk.. just some thoughts

this is why id like to reread this interview closer. 

If Rodvik made statements in any nature that he would like to replace the ameteur, hobbyist, non-professional creators with a new era of industry expertise Graphic Artists and commercial-grade professional content creators....

His actions fly completely in the face of this intended strategy.

Honest, what commercial professional content creator would spend an hour of his/her talents to create content for SecondLife (or any of LL's products) whereby their valued IP content would be all but handed over to LL?

So this new LL TOS Change will not only shutting down and scaring off the vast majority of these so-called "ameteur content creators" from SL (as LL and even some SL residents like Poenald Palen believe the content in SL is junk with little value), but it will be a major SHOW STOPPER for any of these commercial "professional" creators that Rovik wants to attract.

As such, I think Rodvik was just blowing smoke up the industry rear ends to make it look like he is taking SL into the more serious "Gaming" world.

Related to this exact topic....

There are a small percent of these commercially classed professional content creator houses that are populating SL with high grade content...  My puzzling question is... WHY would they not be concerned about this new TOS?  OR are they concerned?  IF so, have they stopped uploading new content?

Orr....... Becaause of their clout and likely direct access to LL management, were they allowed to sign a Special TOS that was actually negotiated between them and LL?  Why do I believe that there is a secret special non-general negotiated TOS for these creators?

Does anyone with connections to these large scale creators or within LL know if they have their own TOS?

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Bliss is closing due to RL issues.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

As such, I think Rodvik was just blowing smoke up the industry rear ends to make it look like he is taking SL into the more serious "Gaming" world.

SL's reputation as a Lag Fest of Sex Perverts in the gaming world is so ubiquitos I don't think it could really ever be fully overcome.

The mention of SL on just about any game board will can bring forth a slew of negative comments.

Maybe Phillip in his vision thought SL could reach the place that it could truly be a viable platform for gaming but if he ever did I don't know any where that he expresed that.

To do "Your World, Your Imagination" requires a platform that is not Game Friendly.  (If asked to back up that statement I'll be straight forward here and say no I can't.  It's an opinion I have arrived at after several years in SL and reading many different things.  But I really do think there is some substance to it.)

Hiro's Metaverse simply requires more computing power than may be feasable/available for decades to come.

So all we can do right now is see it happenning on a very small scale.

To get SL to the level of a "gaming platform"  like WOW would require scrapping the current platform and building from scratch and changing the whole vision of Your World, Your Imagination to something else.

While lots of improvemnets have been made and will continue to be made, SL simply was never designed to be a gaming platform.  No matter how much you may patch it, I don't think you can really get it fixed up to the level Gamers require and desire.

Rewind... what do we know?
The remark that "our" content is worthless for game designers untill we take the next step with materials, but something else just hit me.

9 years SL content creation.
LL starts to develope new games on the SL engine.
LL buys Desura.
LL wants to build more games with less developers, on the SL engine and maybe offer updates/dlc for the previous games.

So the simplest question ran over the lightbulb: why create content for a used engine when the content for that engine is already mostly made?

They can mix/match the best content on the grid for their next project and their needs.
Want prefabs? pick your choice.
Want furniture?"we have thousands of them.
Want clothing? don`t even bother to count.
Attractive shape with skin without the need to tinker with it? pick a store and raid it.

Maybe, just maybe, this isn`t about reselling the content or worse, sell SL, but simply an excuse to skip dev time in creating content for their other games.

Even if it`s for this reason, I still find it an underhand tactic that can`t be legal...

You are the second person to mention that idea. I have no inside info, but I know The Lab has made deals in the past in other arenas so perhaps it is so. I blog for some of the best and they are still creating. I am happy they are. Maybe though LL approached THEM with a deal :D. Or maybe as someone suggested they are keeping quiet on their attorney's advice as the prepare to go to court. Hard to say. I am beginning to think that we won't know the whole story on this for a long while.

Eventually though, most things are revealed one way or another.

I guess time will tell. Me? I am just keeping up MOSP, blogging and making stuff "over there" :D

EDIT: and I see this thread now has over 5000s views. LOL. Some are "just us" but there must be other folks reading from afar. That works.

Chic Aeon wrote:

EDIT: and I see this thread now has over 5000s views. LOL. Some are "just us" but there must be other folks reading from afar. That works.

Some are reading from here, also anyone subscribing to the forum or the thread wouldn't count as views. Besides I can feel the hairs at the back of my neck standing at attention. The creepy feeling is probably management in a trenchcoat and socks.

LL: Down 40 regions this week. The only way you're going to begin to stop the bleeding is to first reverse this and then start taking more responsibility with your customers, rather than finding new ways to squeeze. Your Steam knockoff isn't going to accomplish that. Or your minecraft knockoff. Please keep up.

I'm on the Board of the United Content Creators of SL (UCCSL). We are concerned about the August, 2013 Second Life Terms of Service--specifically Section 2.3. As part of my work, I created a place for the group on Google Drive, so the group could access the latest information on the subject.  One of the documents has links to press releases, blogs, articles and forums--Second LIfe forums, to be precise.

For the past few days these links have worked just fine. Today, however, none of the links to the Second Life forms work, even though all of the other links (to other websites) on the document do work. The user is directed to Second Life then given this message. "The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again."  However, if I go back to the original document and cut and paste the message it works just fine. 

Can anyone offer a plausible explanation as to why every link on this Google Drive Word document would work just fine, the cut and pasted URL works just fine, but a click on the link gives you an error message--even though it did not do so just a day ago and no changes were made to the document?

Just curious.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I certainly don't have a clue what's driving the change in ToS, but absent a clear and concise statement from LL concerning the reasoning behind the change, I can't see professionals (those who expect to derive compensation from their efforts) wanting to risk their livelyhood here.

As I see it, the ToS invites amateurs... or the philanthropic!

;-)

This! (bolding mine)

The changes in the ToS help ensure that only those with no or little value in their uploads will share them on Second Life. If anything has hastened the "Race to the Bottom" for pricing and value on Marketplace and In-World, the new Terms of Service certainly contribute massively to that end.

I have tried the SL Forum links from the Google document as well and as of yesterday these links (and only these SL Forum links) are failing if clicked from the google docs.  If cut and pasted directly onto my Browser the links work.

Is is almost as if the moderators of the SL Forums has filtered references from the United Content Creators of SL group's location.

Yes Luna... as I posted in the other thread.... it now appears that LL has blocked the United Content Creators of SL group from being found on search.  Seems like this is the mature way LL plans to address this quickly growing anger / revolt by the community against LL's draconian TOS Changes.

Just contact Kylie, myself, Trinity or many other creators.  We can invite you.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

I have tried the SL Forum links from the Google document as well and as of yesterday these links (and only these SL Forum links) are failing if clicked from the google docs.  If cut and pasted directly onto my Browser the links work.

Is is almost as if the moderators of the SL Forums has filtered references from the United Content Creators of SL group's location.

I learned that by changing the link structure, the links will work again from the Google docs.

Luna Bliss wrote:

TY, yes I was able to join when I went in-world.

I was just a bit shocked that the link posted here didn't work..

You're shocked when something LL is involved in doesn't work?

Yet you don't seem to be a n00b . . .

Luna Bliss wrote:

TY, yes I was able to join when I went in-world.

I was just a bit shocked that the link posted here didn't work..

Awe Thor wrote:

"You're shocked when something LL is involved in doesn't work?

Yet you don't seem to be a n00b . . ."

No I'm shocked about what the fact that it doesn't work implies, or could imply, and it is something far beyond a technical glitch.

As an FYI to those that are not yet members of the new UCCSL, the group is now in the process of identifying and reaching out to the largest Creator / Merchant businesses in SL and initiating discussionof  the TOS issue with each of these owners. 

We are making sure they are fully aware of the new TOS Changes and how it could potentially impact their SL business operations.  We are asking if they were already aware of it and what current / future plans they have in response to the LL TOS... what protection measures might they be taking.... have they decided to cease uploading... have they contacted legal advice if their operation is large enough that the new TOS could seriously impact them.

We have also asked them to formally join the UCCSL group so they can stay in touch with any new news that is happening related to the TOS and that we could help announce their actions to the members and LL if they so wish.

It would be helpful if you are one of these larger merechant / creators and have not yet been reached, to please come to us inworld so we could chat - and surely - join the group too.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

As an FYI to those that are not yet members of the new UCCSL, the group is now in the process of identifying and reaching out to the largest Creator / Merchant businesses in SL and initiating discussionof  the TOS issue with each of these owners. 

We are making sure they are fully aware of the new TOS Changes and how it could potentially impact their SL business operations.  We are asking if they were already aware of it and what current / future plans they have in response to the LL TOS... what protection measures might they be taking.... have they decided to cease uploading... have they contacted legal advice if their operation is large enough that the new TOS could seriously impact them.

We have also asked them to formally join the UCCSL group so they can stay in touch with any new news that is happening related to the TOS and that we could help announce their actions to the members and LL if they so wish.

It would be helpful if you are one of these larger merechant / creators and have not yet been reached, to please come to us inworld so we could chat - and surely - join the group too.

So far, with the great help from Vista Barnes, some of the biggest brand in SL have already joined us today. From what im seeing from my offline IMs, the number doesnt stop to grow. 

In fact, Vista told me that they were aware of the TOS and worry but didnt know there was already a group about that and they didnt know what to do about this TOS. As soon as they knew about the group, they accepted right away to join us. :smileyhappy: 

And no, there were no special TOS offered to the biggest creators... we are all in the same boat. LL doesnt respect any of their content creators.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.