Sign in to follow this  
JD Hansen

Linden Labs wants $1,000 USD min for MP Banner Campaigns? Yikes!

Ok,

So I have been in Second Life since 2006. I have seen many things come and go.

SL Maketplace is now offering banner campaigns to vendors in Second Life. I got the email as many of you

might have. I filled out the APP and sent it in with my request to do a month campaign just for a test

and trial run. The amounts they listed were $4 per 1000 impressions. What I failed to read is the minimum $1,000

USD per month cost. Ouch!

Now back in the days of SL Exchange. They had a banner advertisment plans right on their site. You could purchase with L$ or with USD for banners and impressions. I used to buy them a lot. Most vendors did.

I dont think I will be dropping $1000 USD on a campaign and Im not even sure it will bring in that much more of a monthly profit. It would probably be quite a loss at the end of the month.

Doesnt sound like a very good business investment. I think they need to come down on the minimum.

Just my two cents.

JD Hansen

JCNY Collection

Ok,

So I have been in Second Life since 2006. I have seen many things come and go.

SL Maketplace is now offering banner campaigns to vendors in Second Life. I got the email as many of you

might have. I filled out the APP and sent it in with my request to do a month campaign just for a test

and trial run. The amounts they listed were $4 per 1000 impressions. What I failed to read is the minimum $1,000

USD per month cost. Ouch!

Now back in the days of SL Exchange. They had a banner advertisment plans right on their site. You could purchase with L$ or with USD for banners and impressions. I used to buy them a lot. Most vendors did.

I dont think I will be dropping $1000 USD on a campaign and Im not even sure it will bring in that much more of a monthly profit. It would probably be quite a loss at the end of the month.

Doesnt sound like a very good business investment. I think they need to come down on the minimum.

Just my two cents.

JD Hansen

JCNY Collection

Hmmm, that's too bad. I got the email too, and took a look. Was gonna sit on it for a bit until I could take a better look and spend the time to design a proper ad. At a $1000 minimum, there is no way in hell I'm gonna spend that much. There must be a typo or something. $100 sounds about right. At 1000, they are basically saying they think their banner ads are worth more than their sims.

I did not get any email, but no way am I spending much on any advertising with no way to evaluate impact on sales, as we could on Xstreet.

Also, when LL leaves the current enhancements PERMANENTLY BROKEN, it does not inspire much confidence in their ability to get something more expensive right. Last time I signed up for 6 enhancements (I used to have 30+) they wound up charging me 32,000L over 24 hours. 

So, no.

Because classifieds always are shown in search but MP banner 'rotate' like all MP ads.  It's one thing to pay that much for a rotating ad shown to a broad range of people on the entire web, but MP has a very limited audience in comparison.   I and most people I know don't even see them because I use AdBlocker.

The SL classifiieds are shown to the entire web, and they have been for several years. The problems and limitations with those classifieds have been thoroughly discussed even in the SL forums, and those problems haven't changed in a long time.

The numbers of people who use ad blockers is measurable, and not so hard when done by site operators. (Outside researchers don't have access to raw numbers and frequently complain that their job is difficult, but their estimates are not too far off from reality.) Simply, Adblock etc. aren't used by the majority anywhere. The size of the minority varies by locale, but the localized rates are known, as well as the types of sites where blocker users are most and least likely to go. Experienced advertisers will already be familiar with the landscape, and what ads really cost in the real world.

Sassy Romano wrote:

JD Hansen wrote:

Now we are a TOP 20 SL Company

o.O

, where's that list published, who are the other 19?

Curious about that too! 

1k in $ does'nt seem to be a typo, they dont even allow you to pay in L$ which most likely means that you'll get charged 21% on top of mentioned rates due to taxes when living in the EU, (they do that to us with the monthly region tiers, premium accounts, etc as well). But they do have a sense of humor, LL that is :) 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Advertise_with_us_FAQ

Honestly, nobody even needs to do this. You can go set up a Google ad with the secondlife.com website as your target channel and choose to only be shown on that channel and pay per click. Only bad thing is your competitors will click your ad to death I'm sure :)

Hello

With this, for sure, small merchants will have a lot of opportunities to bring innovations on SL ...

And they will be able to count on the absolute fair system in MP with ad ...

In all cases, the better designer on SL is certainly something like google or bing :)  so it is not a problem for many uploader, sorry I mean designer :)

Best Regards

Deja Letov wrote:

Honestly, nobody even needs to do this. You can go set up a Google ad with the secondlife.com website as your target channel and choose to only be shown on that channel and pay per click.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, even FB and Google will give you a free coupon the first couple times you try it. I've already used up $100 in FB coupons. LL didn't even do that. They basically sent me an email asking me if I'd like to pay them $1000 for little back, and not even tested. Now, a free $50 coupon and they lower the minimum to $100, then they might get me to bite.

With all the crazy changes LL has made to SL over the years and thier recent "greed-attacks" to drain more money out of us......I often wonder if our Pres and LL share a common policy approach. Scary and laughable.