Linden Labs Hiding Outage Facts

Killian Sandalwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Killian Sandalwood wrote:

Why is it the any of Linden Labs Outages have to be ultra secret ???

Why is it they can NOT be up front with players  ?

Yet they ( Linden Labs ) always want their Tier ... Yet do Nothing for the businesses that lose out on theses Outages.....

There's nothing secretive about it http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2013/09/09/post2053/

When you agreed to the Terms of Service, you agreed that LL provides the service on an "as is" basis.

...Dres

Unscheduled Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on September 9th, 2013 at 12:21 pm PDT

[postED 12:22 PM PST, 9 September 2013] We are currently performing unscheduled maintenance. During this time, some residents may be logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in, or experience inventory loading issues. This maintenance may also disrupt transactions, logins, or attempts to access some regions.

Please refrain from transacting with L$ or rezzing valuable (no-copy) items until the all-clear is given. Please check back here for updates.

You have missed the point .....

See the point is ...why do THEY have to hide the reason for unscheduled maintainence ?

I would be fine and less grumpy if they said They had a major server outage .....

That won't help you sign in any more quickly.  Then, once you do sign in, you'll forget all about it... until next time.

...Dres

You have missed the point .....

See the point is ...why do THEY have to hide the reason for unscheduled maintainence ?

I would be fine and less grumpy if they said They had a major server outage .....

They are not allowed to say anything when the NSA downloads all your personal data.

..why do THEY have to hide the reason for unscheduled maintainence ?

When something goes wrong they may not know what the problem is at first.  Personally I'd rather they fix it than worry about having to give explanations when they do find out.

When something goes out in RL, the utility company doesn't call me up and explain the technicalities.

LL is under no obligation to tell you squat other than what they have.

I believe that another reason they are sometmes somewhat taciturn is that maintenance is to block a griefer exploit.  Maybe they could summarise on a regular basis, (well after such events), what kinds of 'down time' they have had (scheduled maintenance, LL problems, network issues, "unscheduled preventative maintenance").  Or perhpas they do I just havent seen it.

For me, the bigger issue is that their release strategy (frequently and often) means that SL is not fully functional 2 mornings a week (ie sailing for exampple is more or less impossible).   So we have a fully functional SL for 86% of the time, approx.

For someone who is not around here much on weekends its more like 80% up time (and thats assuming NO UNscheduled down time).  But it is what it is ...   I suppose I do need time to clean the kitchen, do filing haha.

That little-and-often release strategy does make me wonder sometimes. There have been times when bad mistakes have slipped past the QA system, leading to a rollback to a previous version of the server software. I do get a feeling that they're pushing their luck. It doesn't have to be incompetence on the part of the programmers or the QA team, just management-sourced optimism about the timing.

I wonder if it would be better if they always rolled all channels on the same day, as they are this week (for the first time I can recall). Because the RCs are only a small percentage of the total sim count, I suppose doing them all the same day as the main channel shouldn't be much of a stretch. This week, two of the RC channels are on the same version which maybe makes it easier.

Might be risky, though.  Sometimes one of the RCs throws a sprocket; that might be a lot more disruptive if there are more versions slated for installation on the same day.

We come back to this topic time after time.  Firstly, and it is a case of stating the obvious, Linden Lab will NEVER publish the reason for an outage if it is in ANY way security related.  To do otherwise would be just plain foolish.

The real bugbear for those of us that visit SL regularly and frequently is the unreliability of posts to the Grid Status Page, especially Restart notices and the like.  Recent experience is that posting to the GSP is erratic and frequently inaccurate.

Sometimes changes to operational schedules are unavoidable, and communication of those to users is important.  Not, perhaps if you have just come to SL for some casual cyber-sex of to play a war-game, but if you are trying to do something constructive or creative and have perhaps only a limited time-frame in which to do such things, such information is important if not vital.

Unfortunately the chaotic nature of internal communications at Linden Lab  works counter to this and despite the best efforts of several folk at The Lab, the GSP remains unreliable.

Qie's point about rolling all channels on the one day would be fine, were it not for the fact that the Server Team have a lot of machines to restart and mistakes are made far more often than would be acceptable in many industries.  Giving them a 20% increased workload on a Tuesday just seems to be asking for trouble!

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

When something goes wrong they may not know what the problem is at first.  Personally I'd rather they fix it than worry about having to give explanations when they do find out.

When something goes out in RL, the utility company doesn't call me up and explain the technicalities.

LL is under no obligation to tell you squat other than what they have.

Quoted for Truth. :)

Qie Niangao wrote:

I wonder if it would be better if they always rolled all channels on the same day, as they are this week (for the first time I can recall). Because the RCs are only a small percentage of the total sim count, I suppose doing them all the same day as the main channel shouldn't be much of a stretch. This week, two of the RC channels are on the same version which maybe makes it easier.

Might be risky, though.  Sometimes one of the RCs throws a sprocket; that might be a lot more disruptive if there are more versions slated for installation on the same day.

My suggestion that I had made was actually going to a bi-weekly every other week role schedule.

One week do Main Channel, the next week the RC channels.

Three reasons for this.

First is a longer 'test time' to see if a major problem develops or rears its ugly head.

Second, fewer SIMs being interupted each week.

Third, and really more important to us is that whenever a roleback has occurred, no matter if it was Main Chanel or a RC, it has had a broader effect on everyone then the initial deploys because they cause unexpected interuptions to the Service.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.