Rim Lighting Tutorial?

Sixx Yangtz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since rim lighting is something you can't really photoshop well into a picture I was hoping someone might be familiar with an already tutorial out there that covers this process?  I've worked with light projectors for a while and can't get it right.  I was hoping someone might already have something put together that demonstraits the positioning of light projectors, windlight settings, etc... that can direct me how to pull this off?  I'm wanting to get a hard rim lighting effect on an avatar head, shoulders, etc.. 

Since rim lighting is something you can't really photoshop well into a picture I was hoping someone might be familiar with an already tutorial out there that covers this process?  I've worked with light projectors for a while and can't get it right.  I was hoping someone might already have something put together that demonstraits the positioning of light projectors, windlight settings, etc... that can direct me how to pull this off?  I'm wanting to get a hard rim lighting effect on an avatar head, shoulders, etc.. 

I wasn't exactly sure what rim lighting was so looked up in Google. It appears that you need dense darkness so Midnight or another dark night lighting if you have a third party viewer is the starting place. You then most likely need several homemade "facelight" type globes easily made by adding the SL lighting feature to a sphere. They will need to be dim with a pretty hefty fall off I suspect. 

When googling I also found a page about rim lighting in the real world which may give you an idea of what you need. It is here. http://www.shortcourses.com/use/using6-15.html Probably more light than you want but depending on the directional aspects you are going after you made need two or more light globes for your "rim light".

Maybe someone else has more info but that might send you off on some experimentation.  Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.