How do I get back to welcome Island to go through the tutorials?

RebaPGH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Do you have a home?

"Home" has two very different meanings in SL.  One of them is very similar to our RL sense of home.  That is, home is where you own or rent property -- the place where you keep your stuff, have neighbors, and invite friends for the evening.  The other sense of "home" is a place where you return to as a default -- your own personal "Square One."  That might be the same place where you have a house and land, but it could be anywhere that you set it.  The only rule is that you have to either own or rent that spot yourself, or belong to a group that owns it, or it has to be a Linden-owned infoHub.  For my first two years in SL, I did not own or rent property, but I set my "home" -- my default -- to a succession of group-owned spots.  If you have not set home anywhere yet (set by using World >>> Set Home to Here), then you still have whatever Linden Lab gave you as their default. 

Why set "home" anywhere?  Because you need a familiar place to log in (You can choose to log in at Home on your login page) and a safe place to go when you are lost, scared, or just need to start over.  Also, when you DO finally have property somewhere, like a Linden Home, you'll want an easy way to get there. The house icon at the top of your viewer screen automatically sends you to that spot. 

So there's a quick outline of what "home" is.  I suggest going now to Caledon Oxbridge, or NCI and following through their newcomer tutorials.  Ask mentors there your questions too.  Also, start becoming familiar with articles in the Knowledge Base, accessible from the tab at the top of this page.  There's a lot of basic information there.  I recommend starting with http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

You can't go back to Welcome Island, for two reasons:  1) They've changed the design, and the one you remember isn't there any more, and 2) only brand new avatars can go there anyway.  When you leave, it's a one way trip.  This is for the protection of new and confused residents, to keep them from being badgered by unfriendly people.

But as Rolig says, there is an excellent getting-started tutorial at Caledon Oxbridge University.  If you join the student group, you can even set your Home position there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.