Not very nice for new person

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I just started to try the game 2 days ago and really have no idea what I am doing mostly but I will tell you what happened to me and probably other who are new,

When I finished my character creation and I got into the game I teleport to my friend to someplace called public park or something similar,there was a girl standing there who looked AFK then I get the pop up of something about freebies and I accepted it thinking she was giving me free stuff,after that I explored for a while then logged out

Only today I figured out what it was she sent me a location it was called something like "the den freebies" so I teleport there to check it out only it is a place with some messed up pictures on the walls! I got out of there fast and teleported out to some other place that actually had some free stuff but the point is this person is targeting new people by saying it has freebies only to take people to a place with messed up pictures, this isn't good especially for new people

Hi I just started to try the game 2 days ago and really have no idea what I am doing mostly but I will tell you what happened to me and probably other who are new,

When I finished my character creation and I got into the game I teleport to my friend to someplace called public park or something similar,there was a girl standing there who looked AFK then I get the pop up of something about freebies and I accepted it thinking she was giving me free stuff,after that I explored for a while then logged out

Only today I figured out what it was she sent me a location it was called something like "the den freebies" so I teleport there to check it out only it is a place with some messed up pictures on the walls! I got out of there fast and teleported out to some other place that actually had some free stuff but the point is this person is targeting new people by saying it has freebies only to take people to a place with messed up pictures, this isn't good especially for new people

you arre just not there are you. you comment with lack of understanding and have are no  use to any one.

ADDED: Sabastion there are just place to best stay away from, if you go by a LM best to be prepared and TP out if you not happy.

ADDED: As Ron Texx said, enjoy if un happy TP out. You soon get a list of ok places. Also as the lady Ceka Cianci

said look at the LM info.

ya people will give you land marks to all kinds of places..

if you right click on the land mark which will be in your inventory..you can get an idea of some of the places..a lot of times they will have a picture of the things there..

i would suggest if you are looking for a PG experience to set your viewer as well to PG..

just until you get a bit more of a hang of it..

at the top of your viewer..there is menu tab..go to the file one and click that and then choose the me  option..and in the first tab called general..you will see maturity rating options..just set that to General for a little bit..don't forget to choose apply or ok at the bottom of the preferences before you close the window..

then when you start feeling compfy you can change it to the others ..moderate is kind of like R rated movies..where you will see lots of things..

adult  is the anything is possible  one where you can land in just about any place  from General moderate to adult..

also just read the things people send you ..and don't take anything from strangers..

wait until you build up some trust before you take things from others..

there are lots of good helpful people..but there are some really bad ones also..

just like in the RL..use your best judgement  or gut feeling with them until you get some experience under your belt and feel more compfy =)

hope this helps you out some..

i'm kind of typing in a rush because i'm heading off to bed now..

anyways hope your SL goes well for you from here on out =)

Yours has been about average an experience... some SL newcomers have been luckier, and some have had worse happened to them. Ill-intentioned lurkers in newcomers' areas are, I'm afraid, largely unavoidable; the very fact that they'll find many people who don't know yet what to avoid (and how to avoid it, much less combat it), and are therefore easy targets, attracts them en masse.

I wouldn't let this discourage you, though. Before long you'll see just as bad or even worse... but you'll also see far better too, I hope :smileywink:

or even more well intended people trying to help newcomers who get misunderstood, misinterpreted, or themselves get the wrong impression about what that newcomer is looking for and send them to places they honestly think would be a good fit but turn out not to be.

It sounds like you teleported in to a roleplay sim based on horror/vampires with a room for freebies. The decoration was in theme with the roleplay. I don’t think the person who gave you the Landmark meant to scare you.  . I have not heard about people who are shocked over horror movie images. It could be a table in a corner offering free clothes, maybe even plain stuff like mesh jeans. The “BIG FREEBIE PLACES” offer 7-10 year old free stuff. They go for quantity, not quality. Smaller places/shops  with freebies often have updated, quality items.

I should warn you that Halloween is a big holiday in SL, and both private residents and store owners decorate like crazy. The place description for the landmark might not indicate that you teleport to a graveyard with open graves, skeletons and ghosts with wailing sounds played. You will encounter ghosts, ghouls, zombies and demons up to Halloween and a long time after. Some roleplay vampires and monsters the whole year, and wear their look while shopping. A gridwide hunt is offering residents of SL free gifts, described as: “A cavalcade of fiends, freaks and fantasy. Magic and merriment, and the untold horrors behind the Big Top. Just watch where you are when the lights go out at the end of the show…”

You will find a vast diversity in SL. Some think of SL like Facebok with avatars, they only want human avatars that represent them, they often use their real name and have their first life tab filled out even with a picture.

But I can often wear a human female look, I have male avatars, I have a wolf, I dress up in fantasy outfits as ballgowns. SL is more a sketchbook, I decide what I want to look like today. If I wear an avatar with bloody face, that does not mean that I will beat up people in real life, or that I want to be injured in real life. SL = is NOT RL.

It is up to you if you will be offended or just shrug it off and think “That was a weird look”.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.