How are LL staff identified in-world?

josh43701

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3853 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They have the old-style two-part account name (NOT Display Name) with the second part being "Linden", which they use when in-world on official business. The LDPW Moles are contractor with permissions for building and maintenance, and have no authority to ban anyone, but if you were hassling them you can expect their Abuse Reports to be taken seriously.

It's worthy of an Abuse Report to pretend to be a Linden, either by some misleading display name or by sending an IM.

It of possible that an employee might be using a private account, and has sent you an IM, but you can not know such an IM comes from a genuine Linden. Send in an Abuse Report.

Make an Abuse Report from within the Viewer (I think it's on the "Help" menu in all viewers. Cut and paste the IM into the report box. Be very polite

Expect to hear nothing about the results. They will tell you nothing. You won't even be able to reliably confirm that an account has been removed from the game. You won't know if your report was trivial, badly written, or otherwise unclear. I reckon that a weakness in the system.

You can always check the profile of the avatar to verify is it a Linden Lab employee or not.

This is how it looks in external web browser:

Linden_Web-profile.jpg

Their user last name is always Linden. When you hover your mouse on top of little icon on the right it will pop up tiny window where it reads "Linden Lab Employee". There is no way for anybody else (non-Linden) to have last name as Linden nor can they put the "Linden Lab Employee" in their profiles like shown here.

This is how it looks in viewer (old style) profile:

Linden_viewer-old-style-profile.jpg

Jasmin Helstein wrote:

If you haven't changed the default settings then the text typed by a Linden will appear in blue, they also show on the map as blue dots instead of yellow ones.

I just had a look, In both:

• Second Life 3.6.4 (280048)

and

• Firestorm 4.4.2 (34167)

The avatar dots show in main map as green dots, also in minimap they show as green dots. There are no Lindens at sight at the moment so I cannot verify how they their dot or text would show.

I know that in Phoenix viewer there was a feature to show the dots in different colours - like Lindens in blue for example.

Are you using some TPV viewer perhaps?

You are right about that Coby, the dots are green. I really don't know why I wrote yellow, it must have been a slip of the pen ...

I have seen Lindens a few times on the map, the blue dots just caught my interest and I TP'd myself to them to see what they were. That was ages ago though, I must have been using V1.23 or Snowglobe, not something special.

Lilylivered 1.JPG

Lilylivered 2.JPG

Just avoiding any confusion, some Linden's do use Display names.

But as Coby pointed out, only they will have "Linden Lab Employee" or the Green LL Icon in their profile.

There are some Lindens who also use Alt accounts with the surname "Tester," or "Tester Unit."  However these accounts do not have the indentifying marks nor have I ever been able to verify that only a Linden can have these surnames.  I do wish LL would clarify and/or fix that.

Linden Lab Official:Who are Lindens?

Porky Gorky wrote:

Active LL employees DO log in with non Linden accounts, recently I have been chatting with one on the Beta Grid.

The question here is HOW are they Identified.

We know that some of them use Alt accounts. 

But where is the proof?

A very knowledgeable individual like Nalates or Qui could log in with an Alt and start talking to me like they were a Linden and be pretty damn convincing.

I am not saying you aren't talking to a Linden, but it still is a question of PROOF.

I would call it bad MOJO for a Linden to threaten or warn someone while using an Alt Acct and claim to be a Linden.  I'd even guess there is a Company Policy about this.

I would not hesitate to AR a non-Linden acct that threatened me like the OP was threatened.  In fact, I absolutely would AR them.

The Wiki is quite clear that for testing purposes that they have "Tester" accts, and if that is what they are doing, then that is what they should be using.

josh43701 wrote:

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Is there a certain time frame that i have to report him? I was gonna let it go, but the more i think about it, the more aggravated i get.

There is no time frame.

But be as specific as you can in your AR.  Time, Place, copy & paste text from chat log if you have it.

But as Joe Friday used to say, "Just the fact's Mam."

Leave out the hyperbole.

Perrie Juran wrote:

josh43701 wrote:

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Is there a certain time frame that i have to report him? I was gonna let it go, but the more i think about it, the more aggravated i get.

There is no time frame.

But be as specific as you can in your AR.  Time, Place, copy & paste text from chat log if you have it.

But as Joe Friday used to say, "Just the fact's Mam."

Leave out the hyperbole.

that's as true as it gets.. most times people  don't get action if they use way too much emotion rather than detailed specifics ..

specifics like

the reason you are ARing..

the name of the avatar..

the time date and location..

also if you can get one..a screenshot from the AR window..

they can get the chat logs from the time and date and location of the incident..

chat logs kind of fill up the AR txt charactors if you have a lot of specifics you want to add or can't find your AR reason in the list and have to use other..

adding any drama to it won't get heard..pretty much..too much and your AR won't get heard..

Venus Petrov wrote:

Many Lindens who pop inworld have updated their avatars.

Indeed so. I once encountered a Linden wearing amazing very beautiful dragon avatar. I complimented him in IM and some five minutes later he replied:

"Sorry for the late reply I was busy working. Thank you very much. :-)"

Perrie Juran wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

Active LL employees DO log in with non Linden accounts, recently I have been chatting with one on the Beta Grid.

The question here is HOW are they Identified.

We know that some of them use Alt accounts. 

But where is the proof?

Yes, you are right, there are no general methods for identifying Alt-Lindens. In my case he approached me to chat about what I was working on, on the beta grid, and the conversation moved on him recounting a conversation we once had in one of my stores whilst he was using his Linden Av. I remembered the conversation well as I have only encountered Lindens in my stores 3 times in all the years I have been here, I asked him why he was using an alt and he told he was "undercover", followed by a winking smiley face....so I did not enquire any further. In the last 6 months I have seen him on my radar maybe 10 times on the beta grid. On the majority of occasions he is with either one or two other av's, also non Lindens. I am wondering if these are also Linden alts...however it would not be very cool to go up and ask them so I just chill and carry on with my work. I will admit that on the few occasions they have come near me I started rezzing some of my best pieces to try and engage them into conversation and a possible sales pitch.....but alas they just ignore me, other than an occasional "Hi".

Venus Petrov wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

They're the ones with an avatar that looks like it was created in 2004, because it was and they've never logged in since...

Wrong.  Many Lindens who pop inworld have updated their avatars.

It's quite possible that you might have missed the thick slathering of sarcasm that I ladled on to my post?  However, the part about them not logging in is in reference to the fact that LL is hugely out of touch with its user community and doesn't appear to understand how their (our?) world works and what is needed.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

They're the ones with an avatar that looks like it was created in 2004, because it was and they've never logged in since...

Wrong.  Many Lindens who pop inworld have updated their avatars.

It's quite possible that you might have missed the thick slathering of sarcasm that I ladled on to my post?  However, the part about them not logging in is in reference to the fact that LL is hugely out of touch with its user community and doesn't appear to understand how their (our?) world works and what is needed.

Ah. There was a message underlying your message.  Well, there are Lindens who come inworld to do all sorts of things, including interacting with residents.  I agree that it appears the numbers of those who do so have diminished over the years.  Living on Mainland, you are apt to see them probably more often than one would on a private sim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3853 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.