Was Banned Because I fell asleep

SeanKyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to go to a sim, regularly. Then the sim closed, and then it reopened somewhere else, and it had a different group, so the creator of the sim and group, ejected everyone from the old group. I imd her and asked why she ejected us all, and she told me that it was because there is a new group, and new sim. Then I replyed and told her that i miss the old sim. Then she didn't respond after 10 minutes, and it was about 11:00pm over here. So I fell asleep. Apparently, about an hour after I fell asleep, she asked me how old I was. Then she took my silence to mean that I wasn't 18 yet. So she banned me from the new sim, and ejected me from the group. I just got online and learned that I was banned and ejected.

Now she won't even talk to me.

I used to go to a sim, regularly. Then the sim closed, and then it reopened somewhere else, and it had a different group, so the creator of the sim and group, ejected everyone from the old group. I imd her and asked why she ejected us all, and she told me that it was because there is a new group, and new sim. Then I replyed and told her that i miss the old sim. Then she didn't respond after 10 minutes, and it was about 11:00pm over here. So I fell asleep. Apparently, about an hour after I fell asleep, she asked me how old I was. Then she took my silence to mean that I wasn't 18 yet. So she banned me from the new sim, and ejected me from the group. I just got online and learned that I was banned and ejected.

Now she won't even talk to me.

SeanKyle wrote: [...] 
Apparently, about an hour after I fell asleep, she asked me how old I was. Then she took my silence to mean that I wasn't 18 yet.

I agree with Syo... she took a somewhat unreasonable time to answer you, but then resented your not inmediately answering her back; that's unfair, and her presumption that your own late answer proves you underage ain't exactly rock-solid, either.

To be honest, these two things combined wouldn't make me terribly interested in fighting my right back to the sim, but to each their own: if you want, send her a notecard carefully, politely and objetively explaining the misunderstanding (if you're really keen on going back, you could even try talking to other regulars from the previous sim that you might have known or even friended, and ask them to talk in your regard). At any rate, if she accepts it, fine; if not... well, she has her right to be paranoid, but you have yours to not to indulge it and stop patronizing her place :smileywink:

I've seen the same social phenomenon on many BBC forums, SL sims, and other online communities. It works something like this, 1.) Someone creates an awesome idea for a forum/sim. They do everything to desperately get people over to their place which they worked hard on. 2.) The place gains momentum, and the creator(s) are less concerned about growth. There begins to form cliques, mostly the newbies and the "originals". 3.) The cool kids begin  to ban everyone that they don't like. Others get bored and simply hang out at other places. 4.) The place that once thrived becomes a ghost town, and the creator must either relax his own rules, or simply continue to live with a few hanger-ons.

In short, most rp sims in SL are essentially private property. They can ban you for the most trivial of reasons, but people can also choose not to visit.

It's important to always get a good night's sleep. Falling asleep while you are playing a game is a sign that you haven't gotten enough rest. Getting banned from a sim is a small issue but imagine if you fell asleep while driving, or while performing open heart surgery.

Sorry but something smells fishy here.

How do you know that she banned you for falling asleep and as a result she thought you were under 18 if she won't talk to you?  If you were, unless that is a G rated sim you couldn't go there anyway so there is no reason to ban you.  It seems a stupid reason to ban someone just because they didn't reply right away too.  Most experienced residents know that sometimes you can't or don't see the question right away if you are multi tasking.

There are always two sides to every story and when people come here to complain about being banned or do it in world they are always 'innocent', when in fact they when you hear both sides of it, they rarely were..  These don't seem to be the actions of a rational person, UNLESS you didn't tell the whole story and she suspected by your behavior or the way you talked that you were a kid that lied about their age when they created their account OR you were rude and nasty to her or you just behaved badly.

Only you know if you were out of line or said anything she may have construed as rude.    If so, I suggest you also apologize when you write to her or you will get no where.  If this person really is irrational and did exactly what you said for the reasons you gave, I suggest you find another place to hang because if she lets you back in she'll probably do it again if you look at her the wrong way.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

There are always two sides to every story and when people come here to complain about being banned or do it in world they are always 'innocent', when in fact they when you hear both sides of it, they rarely were..  These don't seem to be the actions of a rational person, UNLESS you didn't tell the whole story and she suspected by your behavior or the way you talked that you were a kid that lied about their age when they created their account OR you were rude and nasty to her or you just behaved badly.

My thought also.  Why was he suspected of being under age in the first place?

there is a new group, and new sim. Then I replyed and told her that i miss the old sim.

There! You said it yourself: new group, new sim. The group and sim you liked are no more, they went poof, extinct, deleted, whiped out, forgotten, belly up. Such is life in SL. So why are you clinging onto a completely unrelated thing? Just because it's at the same landmark?

just asleep and afk on the sim, or camping on some tipjar, soaking up money?  First is usually no problem (though if it happens a lot in a popular place the owners may have to start ejecting people who're afk in order to allow active visitors in), second is frowned upon obviously as those things are meant for people who are actively interacting with new arrivals.

Both could also be frowned upon by LL, and the sim owner warned to do something about suspected traffic bots.

• 3 weeks later...

I sympathize with the original poster. I've been banned twice from places I cared about, and I currently can not get back into my favorite sandbox, but I don't think this last was personal.

Once, I was banned for "embarassing the Japanese language." I was using an automatic translator, and I argued back that it couldn't be helped. The English returned from the Japanese speakers was equally awful, but one doesn't mention problems that can't be fixed. Eventually, the Japanese speakers lifted the ban. We had a very long discussion about how to speak English so it translates well.

Another time, I was banned from a mall/club where I had been a regular. I am still banned there and still get invites and still miss the place. The Sunday morning dance parties are what I miss the most. Sunday morning is a time when I get maudlin and miss oldies and enjoy Broadway tunes. When I receive invites to go the mall/club where I am still banned, I often reply in group chat: "Alas I can not go to ____. I am banned for no good reason."

Alas, both times that I received bans I care about, I was banned for a bad reason. My avie is short, and there is height prejudice. Bouncers forget to read profiles. In the case of the mall/club that will probably never let me in, I have a friend who has the habit of begging for Lindens and who also may have been selling copybotted merchandise from his shop in the mall portion of the mall/club. You can guess the rest.

Interestingly, I was in the bathroom in real life both times I was banned. Yes, it stinks. No, there is no justice. Yes, there are plenty of other sims. And I've muted a few idiots, but never banned them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to SL so I get kicked from lots of places. One confused me more than others though....A sim said I was banned for being a member of a hate group. I contacted the name that was posted for a manager and asked what was up. He wrote back and told me if I was a member of a certain rival group, that I was not welcomed. A rival group ? They labled me as a hate group member because someone was supposedly griefing them from another group ? LMAO. Funny thing is as a newbie I only joined most of the groups because they popped up and asked me to, lol. Stupid childish drama, no one needs it, just move on.  ;)

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.