SL Very slow for load textures

Max8o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, i'm new here :p

I have problem for load textures, when i'm in game (I know you call it "virtual world") everything is gray and it take more than 10 minutes for the first color comes! :(

My settings:

MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

8 GB RAM

Intel core i7 3820

Sapphire HD 7950 vapor-x

Download 678 kbit/s 84 Ko/s

Upload 754 kbit/s 94 Ko/s

So if you can help me :(

(Sorry for my english i'm french :3 )

Hi, i'm new here :p

I have problem for load textures, when i'm in game (I know you call it "virtual world") everything is gray and it take more than 10 minutes for the first color comes! :(

My settings:

MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

8 GB RAM

Intel core i7 3820

Sapphire HD 7950 vapor-x

Download 678 kbit/s 84 Ko/s

Upload 754 kbit/s 94 Ko/s

So if you can help me :(

(Sorry for my english i'm french :3 )

You will probably explain yourself better, and understand the answers better, in the French subforum :smileywink:

Meanwhile, I suggest you go to your Second Life viewer program's Preferences, go to the Network & Cache tab and, if the Maximum bandwidth configured there is 500 kbps., raise it to 1500 kbps*. Then log off and on again to check the difference.

* Don't raise it over that value, at least not much. An excessive value can cause other problems

There are settings you can adjust under Preferences (use "Ctrl-P" to get that) in various sub-sections. One of these is the Download Speed.

Use Ctrl-Shift-1 to bring up the Statistics window. This does give the current download speed, but what you need to check is the number for lost packets. This should be zero, though I would not worry about a few. If you are getting lost packets when the current download speed is high, you need to reduce the setting in Preferences.

Linden Labs had bad network problems over the weekend, and they may have to do some more work to clear up problems.

Check Preferences -> Graphics and try reducing the setting a step. That can help a lot. It is possible that the Draw Distance is set higher than it needs to be, which means a lot of extra textures need to be downloaded.

Why i have 700 ms here when i have 40 ms on others games? :/ Help me

Woah, 700 ms is quite a bad ping. Even from South Africa I have "only" 300-400 ms. From mainland EU you should be around 200 ms.

Possible explanation: LL's server colos are in the USA, they don't have any servers locally in Europe like most other games. Still your ping should be much better. Are you maybe on wireless? Please plug directly into your modem/router, that might help a litttle.

Conduct some speed tests with speedtest.net (locally and to Dallas/Tx, USA) and see if your numbers there match what your ISP promised you. If they are bad contact your ISP and swear at them! :smileymad:

Indeed, Joy is correct. 1 MB speed is hardly considered broadband these days. I wonder how LL let you log into world in the first place. With 0.8 MB you can't stream YouTube without severe buffering and downloads must take you eternity every time. Ask your ISP for giving you a better connection. Also the local ping of 26 ms sounds like you're 1000 km away from your local exchange. Are you living on a remote island or in the middle of nowhere or are your copper wires that rusty?

Max, it's time for you to enter the 21st century! :smileyvery-happy:

Hehe, don't make fun of me and my connexion  Orca :P! And yes i had some problem on internet, but i thought it was because we are 3 on the connexion :'(, sorry all i just called my ISP and now i have 180ms on SL :matte-motes-bashful: , really thanks all and sorry :3, maybe see you in game !<3

Having a good Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to Second Life. Read: Troubleshoot Your Second Life Connection.

PING in the viewer is not the same as PING via your operating system (OS). Viewer stats PING is very much dependent on the SL server/region you are using. OS PING is only dependent on the hardware envolved in the connection. If you try PING from the OS and viewer at nearly the same time you often get very different results.

For the purpose of performance the viewer's PING is what matters. For troubleshooting, finding there are different values being reported is key.

i thought it was because we are 3 on the connexion :'(,

Oh, that explains a lot!!! When I'm doing more than standing around in world, like sailing or biking, I ask my husband to fuxen close the browser on his machine since I need all the bandwith for meeeeeeeee!!!

, maybe see you in game !<3

Surely not in game but maybe in world. :smileytongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Vanadis Falconer wrote:

To the server in Gothenburg i got 7.4mb of 8 possible thats very good. To the server in USA i only got 2.1 MB of 8MB!

loosing 5MB over the Atlantic Why?

Maybe you were sending soluble packets. These can dissolve in water, leading to a loss of MB.

For best results, send your MB in insoluble packets.

Or, I guess, you could learn more about how ICMP and TCP/IP works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.