"Standard Sizes"

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not against reducing LI costs, and you do that (I think that's what you said :) ). I'm all in favour of it. I think that mesh building could cause avatar heights to shrink a little due to smaller mesh buildings costing less LI. I don't think that heights and rooms will go down to anywhere near typical RL heights and rooms though.

I can't argue against your experience with RL sizes because, as you said, you've become accustomed to it. But I can hazard a guess that people in general won't even try to get used to it because it's so very awkward at the start, to the extent that it doesn't work anywhere near well enough to consider it as working - and the default way of moving around is so very easy. I can guess that people in general simply won't want to persevere with your method and sizes. A few will, and do, of course, but not the vast majority.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Deakins wrote:

You're a bit late to this party, Jo
:)

... and you can have avatars in them IF they drastically change their camera positions AND use 2 hands to negotiate the furniture, but even then it's just too darned awkward and simply isn't anything like the way people get around rooms in RL or in SL. That's why I say it doesn't work. It's so forced that it cannot be the norm. You can do it as novelty, of course, but that's all.

Even Coby, who was the one arguing on the RL-equivalent side, agreed that rooms need to be "slightly bigger", but she wouldn't say how slightly bigger they need to be, even though I asked several times. However, I've now seen a screenshot of her room - in another thread - and it's big. The word "slightly" is totally foreign to it.

Phil, why are you always referring to the default camera position in your arguments? Is it something "YOU SHALL NOT CHANGE IT!" or what?  (I already know your answer.) :smileywink:

To my knowledge I have not posted any screenshots of my room to the forums. Can you give link where it is. I will check is it mine or not. (Fear of dementia suddenly struck me!) :matte-motes-sick:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Cut-Mesh-Prims-by-Changing-Your-Camera-Angle/td-p/2054145/page/2

Halfway down that page. I was probably wrong but I assumed it was your place.

I'll answer your question anyway, even though you know my answer :) It's because the default camera position is what people actually use.in general.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Halfway down that page. I was probably wrong but I assumed it was your place.

I'll answer your question anyway, even though you know my answer
:)
It's because the default camera position is what people actually use.in general.

Thanks for the link Phil.  Well, that is not my house.  That house was located at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sailors%20Cove/116/166/22 .  As you can see from the photos, it was totally empty house, all doors wide open, so I thought it's no disturbance nor intrusion of privasy to quickly take two shots there. Why I was there anyway? Well, I very often start my sailing tours from that place. Interesting islands all around and it's connected to Blake Sea. I checked today the place and the parcel where the house was is empty now.

Psst.... please be careful in assuming something. Assumptions don't work very well. :smileywink:

By the way, did you notice how with default camera view (the second image) all vertical lines are not vertical? All badly tilted due to the high camera location. Compare it with the first image where I have one of my preferred camera settings - all vertical lines are vertical - perfect!  In small places I can use other setting where the camera is much closer to the avatar. Works like a charm. And if the place is really small I can use advanced movement and camera controls to not to stumble on something at my feet. Works perfectly again - it is not awkward at all. For those who have played games using advanced movement and camera controls is like a second nature.  So if you find it awkward - it is indeed so, you find it difficult. We cannot make reliable estimations how many SL users find it difficult or easy.

I guessed right what would your answer be for the default camera location. Yay! :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.