SL running extremely slow on a brand new computer

paintedbows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I just got a brand new computer (Acer, 6gb Ram,duel processor) with a high-speed wi-fi internet connection.  I'm having so many issues lately with SL it's ridiculous.  Barely anything loads like it should (almost everything is grey and/or blurred), my avatar can't get out of the cloud stage, I can't teleport or the viewer will crash, and I can barely move.  I've turned up and down my bandwidth, turned my graphics settings all the way down, turned HTTP textures on and off, rebooted and checked my router, restarted my computer multiple times, and tried multiple viewers.  

Which is interesting, considering my old laptop, a 4 GB duel processor Asus, ran SL very well with little to no problems.  

Help?

So I just got a brand new computer (Acer, 6gb Ram,duel processor) with a high-speed wi-fi internet connection.  I'm having so many issues lately with SL it's ridiculous.  Barely anything loads like it should (almost everything is grey and/or blurred), my avatar can't get out of the cloud stage, I can't teleport or the viewer will crash, and I can barely move.  I've turned up and down my bandwidth, turned my graphics settings all the way down, turned HTTP textures on and off, rebooted and checked my router, restarted my computer multiple times, and tried multiple viewers.  

Which is interesting, considering my old laptop, a 4 GB duel processor Asus, ran SL very well with little to no problems.  

Help?

Your computer may be brand new but you may have to tweak some settings to run SL with it.  I've seen posts by people who have new computers with Windows 8 as their OS saying they have similar problems.  You should search the forums for this and see what suggestions they got and how they resolved their issues.  Another sticking point is that SL is still 32 bit and isn't compatible with 64bits.  Another issue you can explore. 

If after looking for these issues and solutions on the forum, and in the Answers section too if you still have issues , open  your browser and go to HELP>ABOUT (name of your viewer) and copy and paste the page here showing all the stats.  One of the computer gurus may be able to help you pinpoint and solve your particular issue.

The one crucial piece of information that you haven't provided is the type of graphics adaptor that you have.  Please post the details in the Help, About section.

My gut feeling is that you have an Intel graphics chipset which is just about the worst for SL and since you mention that your old Asus ran well, I suspect that one had either Nvidia or ATI.

The one crucial piece of information that you haven't provided is the type of graphics adaptor that you have.

THAT! Exactly!

It doesn't matter how new OP's computer is if it's the wrong one. The most important part for any machine running SL is the GPU. My 4 y/o selfmade desktop, which was quite cheap and never top of the line, will blow most modern laptops right out of the water.

My hubby just bought one of those fashionable ultrabooks and, while it's quite a nifty little machine, in SL it stinks. I'm sure he could even play most games on that thing quite well (if he was into silly stuff like that) but SL is a whole different beast. It's the most demanding platform ever.

Tl;dr: SL is all about graphic power!!!

I would take wifi and nvidia any day over a wired connection and an Intel graphics option.

At least there are things that can be done to work around any wireless issues that may arise compared with the option of "buy another laptop" to get past one with Intel graphics so on this basis i'd say that Intel graphics is THE worst thing for SL.

We don't know what the OP has though since there has been no further comment.

paintedbows wrote:

I do have an Intel processor, and at 64. I have no idea how to get down to 32 bit, at least temporarily to use SL.

I seems to be working alright for now, after turning down my graphics and changing my max bandwidth to 1500.  

Running wireless you should never have your bandwidth set to higher than 500.. Plug the friggin thing in, would ya?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.