Sign in to follow this  
makena1030

Choosing a Race ~ newbie

I have looked all over for a possible guide to picking a race for second life roleplay but can't seem to find one.

My friend and I just created alt avi about a week ago to try rp. Currently we look like fairies but before we get started we wanted to make sure this is the race we wanted to be, you know, before we join factions and what not. I know some of the other choices are elves, mermaids, humans, drows, werewolves, vampires, etc. But what are the pros and cons of each? Are their guidelines for how your personally must be?

Ex. I attempted a rp with someone and its like they were expecting me to be ditsy just because I was a fairy and when I wasn't acting like a bimbo he spoke to me ooc and said "your acting like your wise. Your being too dignified and reserved for a fae, you should be a neko or something else."

I don't want to feel limited in the race I choose. I want to be able to possibly join battles and experience rp fighting in the future. I also don't want to be ditsy or bimbo-ish. But I do want to be able to act cute when I want but tough when I feel the need.

So basically my questions are:

• What are the races?
  • What are the pros and cons of each?
  • What's your favorite/ recommendation?

P.S.. If you do know of a guide to this online that would be nice to know too.

I have looked all over for a possible guide to picking a race for second life roleplay but can't seem to find one.

My friend and I just created alt avi about a week ago to try rp. Currently we look like fairies but before we get started we wanted to make sure this is the race we wanted to be, you know, before we join factions and what not. I know some of the other choices are elves, mermaids, humans, drows, werewolves, vampires, etc. But what are the pros and cons of each? Are their guidelines for how your personally must be?

Ex. I attempted a rp with someone and its like they were expecting me to be ditsy just because I was a fairy and when I wasn't acting like a bimbo he spoke to me ooc and said "your acting like your wise. Your being too dignified and reserved for a fae, you should be a neko or something else."

I don't want to feel limited in the race I choose. I want to be able to possibly join battles and experience rp fighting in the future. I also don't want to be ditsy or bimbo-ish. But I do want to be able to act cute when I want but tough when I feel the need.

So basically my questions are:

• What are the races?
  • What are the pros and cons of each?
  • What's your favorite/ recommendation?

P.S.. If you do know of a guide to this online that would be nice to know too.

You didn't find a guide, because there is none. Roleplay in Second Life exists, because some people decieded to do it and create environments and items for it. Because not everyone has the same taste, there are many many uncountable numbers of all kinds of roleplay groups and places out there.

Its up to you where and what you would like to play. Each place has its own rules or requirements.

OKay let me clarify: I wasn't looking for a guide made by a company. I was just looking for maybe a blog that talked about it just as there is a blog about starting roleplaying and the rules for engaging : secondliferoleplay.com. And I know that it is my choice but I was wanting other opinions and what they thought each race stood for. Because like it or not, everyone has preconceived notions on how the races should be portrayed and I would like to know what they are. So if you are just going to be condescending and have an attitude then please don't reply.

makena1030 wrote:

OKay let me clarify: I wasn't looking for a guide made by a company. I was just looking for maybe a blog that talked about it just as there is a blog about starting roleplaying and the rules for engaging : secondliferoleplay.com. And I know that it is my choice but I was wanting other opinions and what they thought each race stood for. Because like it or not, everyone has preconceived notions on how the races should be portrayed and I would like to know what they are. So if you are just going to be condescending and have an attitude then please don't reply.

There are thousands of Roleplay sims in SL. Secondlife is not a game by the usual standards. There are no goals, no quests, and no rewards. (unless you are doing a hunt)

SecondLife is a virtual world where 99.9999% of all you see is created by other users like your self. I would look on THIS page and see what tikes your interest. Go to the sim and see what the rules are. different sims have different rules. Some are modern,  some fantasy, some futuristic.. Hell some just have clubs and a mall on them or houses.

That being said there are places to Roleplay and have fun, you just have to hunt one down. You can also look in the Roleplay section of the forums for places to go.

Good Luck. :)

makena1030 wrote:

And I haven't talked about a guide made by a company...but about any kind of guide. Because there is no such guide. If someone would would want to make a blog about every existing roleplay in Second Life...wow, they would probably need to make it their job to list and explain them all in detail and when that person would be finished....they could start all over again to keep it actual.

As I also said, each roleplay is totally made up by the people who run that certain sim/group. There is no equal standart where it is definied how someone has to be. There is nothing like "race X has to be like this and that.". The reason for this is, that race X can be totally different in one setting than in another setting. Take RL books for example. They may use the same races, but each Fantasysetting as their own variation.

My personal experiance from roleplaying is that only idiots say, that every individual from race X has to be the same. Thats not what you are going to find in literature (the good ones) and thats also not what would make roleplay fun. Races have traits towards them. Within the range of these traits, everything is fine, just extremes cause other roleplayers to question ones characters behavior. (For example: A Sith would never hug and cuddle a Jedi, but doesn't has to be the coldest person in the Galaxy either).

If you want to discuss a certain race or role its best to first say in what universe/setting you want to play it. Such discussions exist, at least in larger groups of roleplayers, who can even devide into smaller groups (Gor is one popular example for this in SL, I have never seen so many fights about who plays it "more right").

I don't think she was being condescending, just trying to help you.

And, yeah, different races mean different things, depending on what sim you're in. The only way to find out is to read the rules of the sims you're interested in, or ask the owners. If you just want very general information on fantasy races, you can of course also google it. But checking the RP race rules will probably be more helpful.

Obviously I took the first reply the wrong way as its only text and I couldn't tell how you meant it and I am very sorry for that.

But I do realize that there are diff sims and rules to each. And though everyone says that it all depends on where you are I have heard a couple people tell me that I don't act like a "true" fairy. It becomes very discouraging to hear this once let alone three times.

It just seems to me that there are a lot of things being said on blogs/post/website on how things are done/said/roleplayed yet when you actually get on its quite diff and everyone has a standard on how they believe things should be done. Which is fine I just wanted to hear what other peoples perceptions of each race were. Mainly out of curiosity.

And I also just realized that my putting "newbie" in the title probably gave people the wrong idea lol. I am a fast learner and while was I am new to sl, I am a very fast learner and have figured out the sims, factions, guild, race aspect of the medieval fantasy roleplay. I'm just conflicted on which race to choose and wanted some others opinions.

The only common thread in old folklore is that when a fairy and human interact, it probably won't end well. You can be what you want to be, and you should. For RPG versions, some common themes are good memory, trickery or thievery, inquisitiveness with short attention span, but these aren't set in stone across all the fictional universes. Even the games with formal descriptions like D&D leave plenty of room for your own interpretation.

Well, maybe you should try googling it then. Learn about the myths and legends that races like faeries were based on to get an idea of what most people expect to see... Wikipedia has some good pages on mythological creatures. But naturally, no matter what you do, people will always have opinions on it. And all that really matters is if you're having fun with it, and preferably don't break any rules in the process.

I'm not that into faeries myself, but I usually think of them as amoral, not terribly concerned with humans' feelings or safety, as playful beings who do what amuses them. The lore I've seen usually states that they cannot lie and cannot break promises, so instead rely on playing tricks with wording and being very vague... They're usually divided into the Seelie and Unseelie groups, and have a weakness to iron, steel, or both. Some form of shapeshifting seems to be common as well.