My friend can't view the videos I play on YouTube or other sites.

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, a friend of mine and I decided it would be cool to watch movies or tv shows off a media prim. I got everything setup and went to YouTube to watch some videos to test it out. I was able to watch the video fine while my friend could only see the site but the video wasn't available and showed something about updating his flash. So he did and retried, nothing. We tried firestorm and saw there was no difference and checked on the boxes for media in the graphics settings and nothing. We spent a good few hours on this and we're stumped. Any suggestions? Only thing that works for him is QuickTime but that's all. Thank you!

So, a friend of mine and I decided it would be cool to watch movies or tv shows off a media prim. I got everything setup and went to YouTube to watch some videos to test it out. I was able to watch the video fine while my friend could only see the site but the video wasn't available and showed something about updating his flash. So he did and retried, nothing. We tried firestorm and saw there was no difference and checked on the boxes for media in the graphics settings and nothing. We spent a good few hours on this and we're stumped. Any suggestions? Only thing that works for him is QuickTime but that's all. Thank you!

I was at a sim tonight that had a movie theater but couldn't view the movie.  I spoke to one of the sim owners and he said video in SL is tricky and it has to do with Quicktime.  He said to make sure I had no programs running Quicktime open but that movies in SL is hit or miss at best.  Later I was talking to a long-time resident of the same sim and he said that he'd never been able to see the movies there.

Years ago I watched a Torley vidtut on watching YouTube clips in SL using just a prim the size of a screen and way before media on a prim came out.  It wasn't difficult at all; wonder what the issue is now. (Besides Quicktime.)

Every now and then YouTube change the way their videos are accessed and played.  Whenever they do it all grinds to a halt in SL because LL's servers don't get what they need to display things on a prim.

Whether or not that's happened here, I have no idea.  It is just one of those things that makes media difficult though.

Melita Magic wrote:

Movie is working at my 2 locations if you are (or if anyone is) interested in public domain G rated entertainment.

Also in case anyone wanted to check if they can see other forms of video. (It is not you tube.)

I think at least one of those locations is in my Picks. 

Thank you Melita :)  I'll definitely come over and see if that works for me so I will then know if it's an issue on my end or the other sim, although they did acknowledge having issues with their movies.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.