Sim Hosting

Truth Silvercloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Absolutely NOT!

But not for the reason you might think.

The SL "Experience" is something Linden Lab takes seriously, contrary to what you may read in a few Blogs. Towards that end the Region Server Code just underwent a big modification whereby the rendering [baking] of avatars was removed from the Viewer Session Code and placed into Server daemons tasked with this job at the LL Data Centers. The short path length within each data center between the requesting region to the rendering server to render a group of avatars allows for performance gains unattainable with a User PC approach. The OSGrid will not be implementing this technological decision anytime soon.

Server-side Appearance [sSA] seems to be an architecture deal breaker for the OSGrid and a line that will never be crossed.

It is, but not for the reason you think. No rendering was previously done server side. Now, avatars are done server side, after attempts to educate wardrobe designers on how to not be a GPU-killing clock cycle whore largely failed. So it's a band-aid fix on a problem with designers not really caring about efficiency or even trying to get bang for the buck, much less best bang, which is largely a SL-specific problem. The folks building stuff on OSGrid seem to understand how to build good looking stuff efficiently, but that just goes with the territory of being a more technically minded group overall.

i would pay a monthly fee to have this. and as for security i am sure they can encrypt what they feel needs to be securei would pay a monthly fee to have this. and as for security i am sure they can encrypt what they feel needs to be secure. i would gladly 50 or even 100 a month to do this.

Edited by Ichey

31 minutes ago, Ichey said:

i would pay a monthly fee to have this. and as for security i am sure they can encrypt what they feel needs to be securei would pay a monthly fee to have this. and as for security i am sure they can encrypt what they feel needs to be secure. i would gladly 50 or even 100 a month to do this.

dead thread revival... but if you want this you'll have to go to OS.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, Ichey said:

the whole idea with not going to open sim is so I can stay on the SL grid and have access to my inventory and friends

50 to 100 a month?  not a chance in the world would it be that cheap.  also you would have to price the server out you would need to SL specs, that's not going to be cheap,  then you would need to look at upgrading the machine to new equipment because that's how this works,  also this would not be something you would want to keep in your house on your home internet connection at all,  as there would be no local access to it, you would need to make sure you have a high bandwidth plan,  but you are going "well I would put it in a data center"  yeah... 

finding a vendor to host your physical machine. 

150.00 usd easily.

Oh forgot not in an unmetered bandwidth area,  looking at maybe 50gb a month in usage alone, so, another 150 dollars, go over that, tack on another 50 bucks.

So let's use my company as an example.

You want hosted,  okay

3 to 4 rack down on the rack, best cooling place for an active server like that.  275 usd monthly

you want unmetered bandwidth you say,  100 usd flat fee monthly.

Power connection, I'll throw that in for free.

This is very conservative of what most offer,  "but I can find them cheaper" sure you can, but if you do not get a SLA and a hands on to your physical box when you need it,  you are being basically stolen from, because if the machine goes down and you do not have a hands on SLA or able to visit the place, that machine sits in that state broken or they do a EOL on it and it goes to the trash and then the machine vanishes and then you have no machine.

Building access with me, because I own the cabinet,  25 bucks per hour/visit, 2 hours minimum.

I'm listing to much here, but the gist is you could never do this cheaply.  

Buying hardware off ebay or renting it or what ever is not feasible.  it's costly.   LL has been doing this for years they have their ways to do this down, you would not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.