Sign in to follow this  
CharlieMack

adding two textures to one object

Question

You can't do that.  You can only apply one texture to a face at a time.  If you want to have the wood texture as a background for the text on a sign, you have two choices:

1. Download the wood texture to your computer (assuming that it's full perm) and then add your text to it as a new layer in GIMP.  Save the result as a new texture and upload it to SL.  Or, ...

2. Put the wood texture on one prim, then create a second thin prim, put a texture with ONLY your lettering on that prim and make all its other faces transparent.  Then link it to your wood prim, like applying wallpaper or veneer to it.  You'll use an extra prim that way, but you can reduce the L.I. of the sign again by setting Physics Shape Type Convex Hull in the Features tab of your Build/Edit tool.

• Like 3

5 answers to this question

Accept my apologies if this has been covered before.

I would like to add a texture over a texture on a simple project for my rental.

I rez the base, this being a square of wood and add the basic wood texture. So far, no problem. It's to be a simple sign with the font gimped with a transparent background.

It's when I attempt to add a second texture (the font) that I lose the original wood texture (the original wood goes invisible). This is probably a very basic move by someone with more experience than myself.

I thank you in advance.

You can't do that.  You can only apply one texture to a face at a time.  If you want to have the wood texture as a background for the text on a sign, you have two choices:

1. Download the wood texture to your computer (assuming that it's full perm) and then add your text to it as a new layer in GIMP.  Save the result as a new texture and upload it to SL.  Or, ...

2. Put the wood texture on one prim, then create a second thin prim, put a texture with ONLY your lettering on that prim and make all its other faces transparent.  Then link it to your wood prim, like applying wallpaper or veneer to it.  You'll use an extra prim that way, but you can reduce the L.I. of the sign again by setting Physics Shape Type Convex Hull in the Features tab of your Build/Edit tool.

• Like 3

Hi Charlie,

As Rolig explained, you can't put two textures on the same object face. But there is a way to make a flat sign that looks like what you're describing, using only one prim. Rez a box, then make the top, bottom, left and right sides transparent. You'll now see the outside of the box that's facing you, the inside of the box, and the back (if you cam back there), all in wood. Now drop your text/transparent texture on the front face. Then squish the box flat, so it looks more like a sheet of wood with your text on it. Your text will now be very slightly above the inside face. Remember to leave some blank space at the left and right of your text, because the inside of the box will be only 95% the width of the outside and so your text will stick out into thin air if you take it edge to edge on your texture.

This cheat will look a li'l weird if you look closely. I've attached a pic of something I built quickly so you can see. Notice the inside walls of the box on the left and right edges? You can't easily eliminate those as the entire inside of the box uses only one texture. You'll also see that my clothesline extends beyond the edges of the sign because the it extends for the full width of the texture. So, keep your text away from the left and right edges. You can go nearly all the way to the top/bottom, but not all the way or you'll see the text hang over the edge when viewing the sign from above/below.

Two Texture Cheat_001.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 4

Rolig and Madelaine are entirely correct.  Whaddaya think this is, anyway...Photoshop or LightWave?  :smileysurprised:  You get one, count them one, textures per object face.