Deploys for the week of 2013-08-26

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

The main channel is getting the server maintenance project that was on Magnum last week (which was a superset of the changes found in BlueSteel and LeTigre).  This project includes some miscellaneous bug fixes, and also restricts activity in sims that are facing an imminent restart.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.08.17.280013

Scheduled Tuesday 2013-08-27 05:00-12:00 PDT

Second Life RC BlueSteel, RC LeTigre, and RC Magnum:

All three RC channels are receiving a new server maintenance project.  Along with the usual bug fixes found in a maintenance release, this update improves region restart times and includes support for new estate and parcel access controls.  The new access controls will be accessible in a future viewer update.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/13#13.08.23.280213

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/13#13.08.23.280213

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.08.23.280213

Scheduled Wednesday 2013-08-28 07:00-11:00 PDT

We will be monitoring this thread as the code gets released, so feel free to note any observations you have about the server updates.  If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira

Is there any info anywhere on what the new access controls will do when a Viewer makes them available to us.

I'm not sure what the point is of putting the code in the servers without there being any viewer which can use them. If seems an odd way to test things. Things such as vehicle crossing have, for me, been so bad over the last couple of weeks that I am at a loss to see how anyone could know anything new is wrong.

and for testing no doubt the admins can use other tools not at our disposal...

Also, testing can still take place to see if the code is stable and causes no side effects when run in a state where its functionality is not triggered. This tests the situation where the controls are not actually enabled, in which case things should continue to work as they are now.

This provides a valuable baseline.

It would be really helpful if the Grid Status Report page could be updated for the restarts.  They seem to have started, I have sims down, but nothing on the GSR page.  It's important for me to know when they start and finish so I know when I can work and when I can't as well as how to advise my tenants.

It won't help you today but this server upgrade is allegedly going to include "some miscellaneous bug fixes, and also restricts activity in sims that are facing an imminent restart."  I'm really, really hoping that his means no more losing work done before the 5 minute warning goes out.  That would be a huge improvement in my opinion.

Welcome back Maestro!

Sorry to whinge,  :smileyfrustrated: but this Grid Status Page issue seems to be getting worse rather than better!  Today the Roll announcement did not appear until well after the rolls were due to have started, and reporting of last week's RC channel roll was completely missed.

There are others here who are pointing out how awkward this is, the entry on the Google calendar is simply not enough.

FWIW, the roll on Main Server seems to be fine, at least to me on all the sims I have been so far today. :smileyhappy:

Ayesha Askham wrote:

Welcome back Maestro!

Sorry to whinge,  :smileyfrustrated: but this Grid Status Page issue seems to be getting worse rather than better!  Today the Roll announcement did not appear until well after the rolls were due to have started, and reporting of last week's RC channel roll was completely missed.

There are others here who are pointing out how awkward this is, the entry on the Google calendar is simply not enough.

FWIW, the roll on Main Server seems to be fine, at least to me on all the sims I have been so far today. :smileyhappy:

The problem with the Grid Status Page was brought up to Oz at the Aug 23 TPV meeting.

It's somewhere toward the end of the meeting.

If Oz can't get the man behind the curtain to do anything about it, it seems that we are all stuck with chasing flying monkeys here.  :(

I don't know if this is related - I suspect so - but several times today, upon being on sims that restart, I neither get a warning that the sim is about to restart, and I do not get kicked off the sim or tp'd home. I freeze in place (cannot move, cannot tp, cannot bring rezzed objects into edit), and shortly after I crash.

Looking at those sims on the map, after I log back on at home ... the sim appears darker in color, meaning that it's offline I imagine, but I also see green dots of other avatars still on the sim. Other Residents stuck in place?

Just an fyi.

• Lindens

Is there any info anywhere on what the new access controls will do when a Viewer makes them available to us.

Hi Wolfbaginski, I slightly misspoke about the feature change - it only affects parcel access controls.  The new feature is to allow a parcel to be configured to allow users to enter a parcel if they are members of the parcel's group *or* have payment info on file.  This is meant to be a big help toward keeping griefers out, as they often will not add Payment information to their account and group limitations are often managed by the land manager.

This access configuration, which is already available at the estate level, involves enabling 3 options in 'About Land'->'Access':

* Allow public access

* Allow access only to Residents who: Have payment information on file

* Allow Group Access: <group>

With the current release viewer (3.6.4 (280048)), this combination of settings is not possible to set in 'About Land'; enabling 'Allow public access' causes 'Allow group access' to become disabled.  The upcoming viewer change will make these two settings independent in the UI.

• Lindens

Imagin / Ayesha: I have passed on your concerns about the lack of timely posts on the Grid Status Report's main section.  There should be a post before the rolling restart begins.  That said, I would recommend looking at the calendar section of this page in order to see the roll schedule far in advance.

• Lindens

Ghosty Kips wrote:

I don't know if this is related - I suspect so - but several times today, upon being on sims that restart, I neither get a warning that the sim is about to restart, and I do not get kicked off the sim or tp'd home. I freeze in place (cannot move, cannot tp, cannot bring rezzed objects into edit), and shortly after I crash.

Looking at those sims on the map, after I log back on at home ... the sim appears darker in color, meaning that it's offline I imagine, but I also see green dots of other avatars still on the sim. Other Residents stuck in place?

Just an fyi.

Hi Ghostly, it sounds like the regions may have been crashing rather than simply restarting.  Do you remember which regions were involved, and the approximate times of the "surprise shutdowns"?

Maestro Linden wrote:

Hi Wolfbaginski, I slightly misspoke about the feature change - it only affects parcel access controls.  The new feature is to allow a parcel to be configured to allow users to enter a parcel if they are members of the parcel's group *or* have payment info on file.  This is meant to be a big help toward keeping griefers out, as they often will not add Payment information to their account and group limitations are often managed by the land manager.

This access configuration, which is already available at the estate level, involves enabling 3 options in 'About Land'->'Access':

* Allow public access

With the current release viewer (3.6.4 (280048)), this combination of settings is not possible to set in 'About Land'; enabling 'Allow public access' causes 'Allow group access' to become disabled.  The upcoming viewer change will make these two settings independent in the UI.

If we are going to be talking about ACCESS CONTROL, then I am going to bring up an old issue.

Restricting the ability to "Create Landmark."

We had that ability in Viewer 1.  For some unknown reason it was removed from Viewer 2 and on (I suspect neglect). 

So at the time Viewer 2 was released, people using it could create Landmarks where the function was restricted but people using Viewer 1 still couldn't.

Now about six months ago I had occasion to log in with a very old viewer (Phoenix 1.5) and the function was still alive.

This would stop people from creating LM's where for instance I live and passing them out randomly to their friends.  That is how I found some unwanted guests had got to my home and using my goodies.  Someone I had invited over created a LM and passed it on to friends as a place they could use to bump pixels.

I had never caught an intruder until after it was removed from Viewer 2.

Thread on the subject here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion/Managing-Your-Parcel-About-Land-Settings-Updated/m-p/1597149/highlight/false#M4955

JIRA here:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-26420

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

The create landmark restriction was intentionally removed from Viewer 2. The very old SLurl service, plus the local teleport history landmarks added in 2.0, made it pointless.

That is the first plausible and sensible response/reason I've heard about it's removal in all the discussions I've had on it.

I don't think I've ever shared a LM out of my TP history with any one......didn't know you could do that.

THey aren't inventory landmarks so they can't be offered the old way, but it's easy to share SLurls from the TP history. And, on outside forums and chats, where griffy things tend to get organized, they're using SLurl and not landmarks anyway. Really, the notion that landmarks were in any way, shape or form some kind of secure access needed to die.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

THey aren't inventory landmarks so they can't be offered the old way, but it's easy to share SLurls from the TP history. And, on outside forums and chats, where griffy things tend to get organized, they're using SLurl and not landmarks anyway. Really, the notion that landmarks were in any way, shape or form some kind of secure access needed to die.

I know there is no 'perfect system' as far as SL is concerned.

The new system with out the ability to block create LM made it too easy for the intruders.

If the system is not hard to re-institute I'd say make those who don't respect privacy jump through as many hoops as possible.   I never had a problem with intruders until the function was removed.

I use a security orb now.   I don't want to set up ban lines because as a person who loves flying I know how much I hate flying my saucer into invisible walls.

Maestro Linden wrote:

* Allow public access

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but why shouldn't "Allow public access" disable "Allow group access" and vice versa, since they're mutually exclusive?

Or do you mean that if I set it "Allow public access" I can't then switch it to "Allow group access" because that button is greyed out?

• Lindens

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but why shouldn't "Allow public access" disable "Allow group access" and vice versa, since they're mutually exclusive?

Or do you mean that if I set it "Allow public access" I can't then switch it to "Allow group access" because that button is greyed out?

Hi Innula, the change is to allow group-based whitelisting which can parcel restriction based on payment info.  Here's how the logic plays out:

1) "Allow public access" means that avatars/groups do not need to be explicitly whitelisted to visit your parcel.

2) The "Allow access only to Residents who: Have payment info on file" option is only available when (1) is set (this is also the classic behavior). 

3) The "Allow group access: <group name>" setting additionally allows group members to access your parcel, except for those on the ban list.

With only (1) and (2) set, only those with payment info on file can visit your parcel; there is no way to allow your friend/alt who doesn't have payment info on file to access the parcel.

With (1), (2), and (3) set, you allow two sets of people in:

* 'trusted' accounts, who belong to the parcel's group

* any account with 'payment info on file' (these users probably aren't zero-day griefer accounts)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.