Problems running SL

Argo Blanco

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm running Second Life from a notebook, with a Nvidia Geforce 9300m gs 512mb. Notebook is an asus with 4 GB RAM, 2.53 Ghz clock. 

When i log in, the first 20-25 minutes, SL runs smoothly and fast. After this time i experience drop in FPS, from 22 to 0.8, Ping sim goes from 280 to 1600 during this matter. After a pair of minutes it return running normally, for a few minutes and then down again and up and so on until SL is completely useless cause the time span between the normal running and the drop of performances decrease progressively.

Anyone do know what this is due to or how to fix the problem please?

P.S: Graphic card is up to date, my directX are not of the last version, my O.S. is Vista

3 answers to this question

If you're using wifi then stop it and use a wired connection.  More likely your ISP is playing silly buggers with your connection.  Talk to them about the service they offer and request somthing suitable for working online, not just browsing the internet.

Some ISPs switch or drop and reconnect the connection frequently or just cut it off after a certain time.  That's fine for someone who loads a web page and then reads it for the next 10 minutes, it's useless for interactive online operation like SL.  Unforrtunately, if they can't/won't fix it your only alternative would be to change suppliers.

• Like 1

With the recent issues in world (something the bloggers/answer people forget about) is going on expect some crappy preformance  but the posts above mine are correct about laptops wifi sucks and over heating sucks but my suggestion if to dramatically scale down your graphics settings, depending on your viewer this can be spread across multiple tabs but the basics are shiney off,glow off,flexi low,water off lock windlight so it cant be changed by region automatically, lod to 1.5 and from there tinker with the sliders to find a balance between your preformance and graphics in world that suits you, as for me im ancient so i dont mind some blurry textures and prims looking funny 50 meters away

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.