Sign in to follow this  
Jean Horten

Special characters in forum posts

I'd like to know why I can insert  all kinds of special characters in postings (e.G. ð, þ, æ, ø, ث) but no german umlauts? This is idiotic and anti-german, LL

It is not specifically anti-german. It's also anti-french, anti-portuguese and anti-romanian (just to mention the main ones). Why the heck can't we post c with cedilla anymore? It makes it really harder when posting in these languages. :smileymad:

cedilla.jpg

This is certainly a very good reason, yet considering the number of posts in Portuguese, especially in the Q&A section, it's still a pain to have to track every single cedilla before being able to answer. And dang, this Portuguese language uses them a lot! :D

I just found out it's only the "o" and the "u" on which they're not allowed, on other vowels they are no problem:  ä ë ï ÿ Ä Ë Ï Ϋ. Don't ask ... I haven't a clue.

The reason is that since an update quite a while ago the forums are misconfigured and don't accept certain UTF-8-characters. It's not that Linden Lab doesn't know about the issue and couldn't fix it within a few minutes - they just don't care.

Weird stuff, you can use whatever unreadble unicode crap in display names in world but 'normal' special characters from various non us alphabets are not working.

Write english or die?

J.