Anyone else going crazy?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put this under here although I am using firestorm. I already talked to the FS group and they are at a loss. When I close out or minimize my chat window it logs me off. Doesnt always do it but it does randomly. Has any had this issue or/ and can anyone make suggestions. 

Also I am thinking of purchasing a new computer however they have windows 8. I read previously people having issues with SL and windows 8. What were some of the problems associated and was it easily fixed? Thank you for your time.

I can't tell you what problems there have been or how difficult they were to fix, but I can tell you this:

Issues can crop up for a maddening myriad of reasons. More than likely, it will be a hardware or driver incompatibility before it'll be a problem with your OS. I've seen people attribute Win8 to game-stopping issues, but I use Win8 and Firestorm and the SL viewer work fine for me.

Take that however you like. My personal feelings are use whatever OS you like best and keep your fingers crossed SL doesn't disagree with some ambiguous setting or device driver you have.

Edit: Oh, and to answer the titular question: Yes, going crazier every day!

I too run Firestorm and the LL viewer on a Win8 computer with no issues at all.

Any time there is a new OS or viewer, you can be assured that there will be vocal groups shouting from on high that it doesn't work. It only gets worse as others pick up the message and pass it on.  I suspect that 99 times out of 100, it was operator error in some form. 

As to the issue you are experiencing, my first suggestion to try would be to wipe all traces of any viewers from your computer, reboot, and start with a fresh clean install.

I'm using the updated FS on win 8 and the only time i get logged out when the screen is minimized is if I'm gone afk for a while. (past my set away and log off time) have you tried the whole cache clear and clean instal type solutions that are always the first suggestions the people in the firestorm group chat usually say?

Although the last Microsoft product I ever used was Win7 I know from reliable sources that Win8 doesn't give you any problems with SL. Just make sure to have all the latest drivers installed, not from the MS site but directly from the manufacturers like NVIDIA or ATI.

On the other hand, there is no reason not to buy a computer just because it comes with Win8. It's your computer afterall, isn't it? So you can install any OS you fancy, Win7, XP or Linux. Or, best solution, save some money and buy a computer without OS. Or even better, save more money and build that PC yourself.

When I was researching sites for my new PC, I discovered that the majority of sites where you can customize a PC (I purchased from Directron.com, but I saw the same offered with many other online sites) offer a choice of operating systems.  Some online places that sell PCs but without the customizing feature offered PCs that came with Win7 installed PLUS Win8 (I'm assuming on disc).

Had I not found the PC I wanted on Directron, I might have gone that route myself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.