I got paypal because i don't have a creditcard, so why do i still need a creditcard?

ReplicTuaniOne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't get it, i have paypal because we DONT use a creditcard here in the Netherlands, so i got paypal, got money on paypal and want to pay with that money to get money on SL, but noooooo, i need to add a creditcard on my paypal acount to get money here...

Why is that? common, make it a lot easier by just accepting paypal...

Or are there other ways to pay instead of a creditcard?

9 answers to this question

ReplicTuaniOne wrote:

I don't get it, i have paypal because we DONT use a creditcard here in the Netherlands, so i got paypal, got money on paypal and want to pay with that money to get money on SL, but noooooo, i need to add a creditcard on my paypal acount to get money here...

Why is that? common, make it a lot easier by just accepting paypal...

Or are there other ways to pay instead of a creditcard?

These are the payment methods currently accepted by Linden Lab: I highly reccomend reading the whole knowledge base article.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Billing/ta-p/700037#Section_.3

This is what they have to say about the paypal verification issue.

Often the initial agreement can't be set up due to an unverified PayPal account.
To use your PayPal account with Linden Lab, it must be verified and be capable of making instant transfers.

Linden Lab does not accept e-check (bank account) payments through PayPal because they cannot be processed quickly enough to match the instant delivery of virtual goods and services.  Therefore,
we require that you have a credit card on file with PayPal as a backup payment source,
OR that you pay with your PayPal balance in USD
. Without a sufficient USD balance in your PayPal account, you will not be able to use it with only a bank account.

Be aware of your monthly limits. By default, your monthly spending limit with PayPal is set to US$250.00. You can easily raise or lower that limit. See Using PayPal for more information.

You can find information on how to convert your paypal balance here: http://tinyurl.com/kg7tg44

That's not quite true.  You have two options:

1.  Buy your L$ through one of the Authorized Alternative Exchanges.

2.  Maintain a dollar balance in your PayPal account that is at least large enough to cover your anticipated L$ purchases in the Lindex.  The credit card requirement is there because transfer of funds from your bank account to PayPal is not instantaneous, but authorization from a credit card is.  When Linden Lab tries to transfer money from your PayPal account and finds that you do not already have sufficient finds, they cancel the transaction.  So, if you want to buy L$ with PayPal, all you have to do is transfer money to PayPal from your bank yourself and then wait -- probably an hour or so, but the time may depend on your bank --- before buying the L$.

paypal without credit card works.

but you need to verify your paypal account with your bank account. That's smth you need to do on paypal website. Once you start the verification, they will ask you to print a form, fill it and send it to your bank. Some days later, they will take some tiny ammount from your bank (like 0.07 euros) two times. you'll have to check your bank records, find the ammount taken, and go back into your paypal account to type the 2 ammounts of money taken.

Then your Paypal will be "verified".

Once you are done, when you try to use your paypal in SL, you'll get automatically the window asking to add a credit card opened. But look just above. there is a smaller square with "use your paypal account". Go there. type your mail adress linked to your paypal, your paypal password and there you go !

EDIT : and no, they dont even ask you maintain a balance with a certain ammount. It works without that.

It all depends on the bank. Some European banks may make transfers more quickly than most U.S. banks do. To connect your PayPal account to a U.S. bank account, you have to do the same verification process as you are describing, but the actual transfer of funds can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or more. Since Linden Lab will not wait for that transfer, most PayPal transactions will fail unless they are either backed by a credit card or maintain a cash balance.

Yes, LL are about the only company on the tinternet that don't want our money.  As you've read from other replies there are ways, but they definitely don't make it easy.  (I think they can't understand that 'rest of the world' isn't all like the USA).

PS: WE are just residents like you, this is not a means of communicating with LL.

You can't use the Linden Exchange unless your PayPal account is verified by either a credit card or a bank account. That doesn't mean that you have to USE the credit card or the bank account as your source of money, but unless one or the other is there as a backup, Linden Lab won't accept your PayPal account for use in SL. Your only option is to buy L$ on one of the Authorized Third Party exchanges >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Linden_Dollar_%28L$%29_Authorized_Reseller_Program . That will let you buy L$. If you ever want to take money OUT of SL, however, you must use the Linden Exchange, and you must take your money out with a verified PayPal account.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.