What good are keeping a list within the profile's picks?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I had no idea there even was a SL Gay Mens Museum.

...Dres

Actually, they are Art Galleries. 

There were two that they used.  The first refers to itself as an Art Museum.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Holland/167/137/303

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fenfarg/28/167/37

Some lists are bad..So be very careful of them or they will be after you also!!

Run away..Before running is all you can do and becomes your way of life!!

Every town you go to there is wanted posters with your face right out there for all to see..

Trust my words and heed to my warning..

You don't want a price on you head..Always looking over your shoulder..Always sleeping with loaded guns!

I've lost two lovers to nightmares just waking up and shooting at the dark!

Sometimes i can't help it if i'm just really good and being very bad..So much so that it wakes  me up at night!  :P

So hear my warning and hear it well!!

List's can be very bad and can have you on the run..

For those that have me on your lists?Read this one warning as well Bishes!!

You 'll never take me down..No no..Not without a fight!!

I'm going down in a blaze of glory! That's for sure ...And i'm gonna take a lot of you with meh!!

you'll know when it's about to happen..You'll hear this..---->Hehehehehehehe<---

She

hehehehe :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Dear McMasters,

Because you wrote something of note worthy intelligence, I will reply in turn with the same respect. Sorry for any misunderstanding or for lack of more clarifications, in which would have led to a much longer post. It would have been no problem since I enjoy writing. Prior to writing the past post, I had been in-world more often and had been a very active member of a few RP groups to the point of several hours a day. I notice that you present your scenarios (as refer to as theories), even though I admit #3 put a smile on my face. Shall we move to those theories now?

1. The 15 minutes is the present time and is nothing compared to the history when time was closer to a 14 hours minimum in SL doing things in RP. We can toss that theory aside now move to the next.
  2. Since this theory is based on the current time and not the past, we can gently fold it up and drop in the ‘File 13’ that is like the TARDIS is smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside.
  3. Never was much of a fan of DashiellHammett, I prefer ArthurConanDoyle especially EdgarAllanPoe, HowardPhillipsLovecraft, and BrianLumley. In fact, I am enjoying a cup of coffee while replying to you. If you are now aware that you can in fact for groups through Second Life’s site, the current numbers of role-playing groups is around 2,730 give or take. For those that do give a note worthy description, it does not take a long time to login and gather their notecard.

I agree that number #3 was the best thought out and best written. Pardon this analogy, the summery attempted to put a puzzle together when you do have every piece from the get go. The scenarios or theories are rather one-sided so I can excuse their shortcomings as I explained the reason clearly. Another reader did catch the last question at the very end and suggested changing the title of the list to something including ‘RP’ to avoid the confusion. With my own admittance, I should rename the list the next time that I login.

Aside from the rest of your response, I did find one assessment that held something of worth. As far as the term self-sufficient sonnet, poetry is something that the pleasure is not limited to reading but also composing for my self-indulgence and sometimes shared with a friend or two. It is not sonnet, but it is poetry nonetheless.

The Merry Little Band

The sky may be overcast

Still we are having a blast

Underneath the fleet of airships

To drum sounds sway of hips

Many felt the calling so clear

Black boots worn to grey

Make light of the dark day

For pride and country

For freedom you and me

Changes drawing near

Even with fraying reasons

Made a king by loving sons

To the men, tip your hat to all

For loving grace, stand tall

With family clan always near

The hour of departing ships

Many depart with witty quips

As the horns bellow with a blast

As the story anew broadcast

Clearly some the piper they hear

Maybe I can help clear this up a wee bit.  My husband can be long winded.  So here is the basics. He has specific people on mute who then decided to go around the mute by contacting me to harass him. He made a will not rp with list basically because they continued to bother him AFTER muting.  Then, they continued on even worse by giving me issues.  Now, no. I am not saying names because the entire thing is dumb and their issue for giving us trouble to begin with when all we want is to be left alone and spend time with friends.  They believe that bullying others to do as they wish is how things are done and it is not. So, I have suggested to Jack that he simply report them for harassment and be done with it. They have been muted and blocked here and on Facebook and continue to go around that by sending messages through other people. They have made threats to both he and I over the stupid stuff and I have informed him I have washed my hands of it and have suggested to him to do the same. I believe it more bothers him because of the issues I am being caused by the entire stupid thing. That is simply my take on it, take it or leave it.  But I hope it clarified his reasoning for his post for those who seem to think he is only looking for drama.

poison Luminos wrote:

Maybe I can help clear this up a wee bit.  My husband can be long winded.  So here is the basics. He has specific people on mute who then decided to go around the mute by contacting me to harass him. He made a will not rp with list basically because they continued to bother him AFTER muting.  Then, they continued on even worse by giving me issues.  Now, no. I am not saying names because the entire thing is dumb and their issue for giving us trouble to begin with when all we want is to be left alone and spend time with friends.  They believe that bullying others to do as they wish is how things are done and it is not. So, I have suggested to Jack that he simply report them for harassment and be done with it. They have been muted and blocked here and on Facebook and continue to go around that by sending messages through other people. They have made threats to both he and I over the stupid stuff and I have informed him I have washed my hands of it and have suggested to him to do the same. I believe it more bothers him because of the issues I am being caused by the entire stupid thing. That is simply my take on it, take it or leave it.  But I hope it clarified his reasoning for his post for those who seem to think he is only looking for drama.

Um... drama.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

poison Luminos wrote:

Um... drama.

...Dres

Roleplayers causing drama? I never would have expected that!

That is precisely why; I do not give out my Facebook page, email or any other method of contacting me. If I know you through SL or Facebook, it tends to stay in either place. Compared to some that use social media as a competition to collect friends, I am not sort of a person. I am who I am, and I will treat people with respect as long as they show the same. If I feel that someone is trustworthy have being gave my trust and friend, I will friend them but not for the sake of some sort of tally. My wife is a bit more trusting then I, and sometimes I remind her that people can rather cruel today, especially, in the concerns of cyber-bullying. I would guess that not seeing a person face-to-face has created sort of a disconnection within some people. I do not know, but it does seem like a topic with reading. Yes, I am always looking for a new topic to write about, it has been suggested that I start a blog page. You would be surprised at how much money can be made through blogging.

Maybe I should try blogging then...who can't use a few coins?

I only mentioned facebook because your wife had posted in the topic saying people had moved from SL to facebook to continue harassing you both. 

If she gives out her info there and you're on there as her husband...Well, you two will work it out.

Good luck to you both.

When writing about anything, it is always helpful if the topic is something that you feel passionate about. It is easy to write about something like light bulbs. Not much to tell unless it is written from the historic point of view and trying to decide if you give Edison credit for Tesla's work. Or you can pick something from sci-fi and explore how it has influenced the devices we use on a daily basis such as Star Trek's flip open communicators compared to the cell-phones or the touch screen-computers of some the hard-core space operas to today's touch screen iPods or iPads including other computers. 

JackWolf Schiner wrote:

It is easy to write about something like light bulbs. Not much to tell unless it is written from the historic point of view and trying to decide if you give Edison credit for Tesla's work. 

I think you've got your history a li'l wrong...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/05/18/nikola-tesla-wasnt-god-and-thomas-edison-wasnt-the-devil/2/

ETA: if one is passionate about writing, there could be endless things to write about lightbulbs, none of which need come from the history of its invention. That's the beauty of storytelling, like SL, it's "Your World, Your Imagination".

Before we get started, thank you for the link. Obviously, the author has a strong if not heavy opinion on the topic. It was interesting until he used the term ‘comic’ within the article. I was not sure, if he was a comedian or comic book but will assume the later. If the assumption is correct, the first point made is he just wasted the time ripping into a comic book. The great thing about literature of any sort is the only limitation is the imagination of the writer. I prefer reading Doctor Strange or Ghost Rider, when it comes down to comic books. In one way, I felt like I reading something based “Warehouse 13” or the early years of Captain America. Back to the correction and the second point needing made, over the years two very different camps have developed to support either Edison or Tesla. It is worth listening to any debate between two individuals over the topic of which they believe did what. It was not from that point of view but from that as a writing topic. It is not same when the thought process overlooks the most minuscule point of focus. The third and final points as they relate to second, the quoted used needs to be looked at once more this time use a forensic microscope instead of a telescope. “It is easy to write about something like light bulbs.” The key words are ‘easy to write about something’. If that were not true, you would not have taken the time to write out a reply, so we can move along now. “Not much to tell unless it is written from the historic point of view and trying to decide if you give Edison credit for Tesla's work." This is where the whole thing can get a bit confusing so hang on and allow me to explain. Prior to the later sentence, we have something compared to being ‘easy’ adding to it by saying, ‘not much to tell’ referring to the light bulb itself. It becomes complex when the ‘historic’ and ‘deciding if’ should do something or not. It is a mere comparison of topics from simple to the complexity of topics and the possible debates to ensue. So tell me where do I have history wrong when I was talking about writing topics not facts or history?

The Oatmeal strip http://theoatmeal.com/comics

JackWolf Schiner wrote:

Before we get started, thank you for the link. Obviously, the author has a strong if not heavy opinion on the topic.

The author's "opinion" is backed up by the facts. Tesla's work under Edison was primarly in power generation and distribution, not incandescent lighting. Your statement...

"It is easy to write about something like light bulbs. Not much to tell unless it is written from the historic point of view and trying to decide if you give Edison credit for Tesla's work."

...suggests that Edison is given credit for the invention of the lightbulb, when it was really Tesla's brainchild. Neither of them invented the incandescent bulb, but if you wish to credit one or the other with making it a commercial success, that credit unambiguously belongs to Edison.

It was interesting until he used the term ‘comic’ within the article. I was not sure, if he was a comedian or comic book but will assume the later. If the assumption is correct, the first point made is he just wasted the time ripping into a comic book.

Yes, he was ripping some comic for promulgating the erroneous idea that Tesla is the uncredited mastermind behind our modern system of electrical power and lighting. He's not. I don't much care what particular example he was picking apart, the facts he used to do so remain the facts. Many kid's early introduction to self motivated reading is via comics. I think that makes them worthy of criticism.

The great thing about literature of any sort is the only limitation is the imagination of the writer.

Not so. Historical, biographical, journalistic and scientific literature are necessarily constrained by both imagination and reality. There are countless examples of flights of fancy in all these genres, but I'd argue that means the works are mislabeled.

Back to the correction and the second point needing made, over the years two very different camps have developed to support either Edison or Tesla. It is worth listening to any debate between two individuals over the topic of which they believe did what.

This sounds suspiciously like the "balance in journalism" argument which thinks that everything has two equal sides. That's a load of nonsense some journalists are apparently unable to recognize. Not all arguments are balanced. When beliefs are refuted by evidence, there's an imbalance.

It was not from that point of view but from that as a writing topic. It is not same when the thought process overlooks the most minuscule point of focus. The third and final points as they relate to second, the quoted used needs to be looked at once more this time use a forensic microscope instead of a telescope.

If you're now stating that your mention of Edison and Tesla was not meant to convey any information, but was just a string of words intended to show that one could manufacture a topic, what distinguishes your effort from a random process?

“It is easy to write about something like light bulbs.” The key words are ‘easy to write about something’. If that were not true, you would not have taken the time to write out a reply, so we can move along now.

That statement makes no sense. People do difficult things every day. Your condescension is unwelcome.

“Not much to tell unless it is written from the historic point of view and trying to decide if you give Edison credit for Tesla's work." This is where the whole thing can get a bit confusing so hang on and allow me to explain. Prior to the later sentence, we have something compared to being ‘easy’ adding to it by saying, ‘not much to tell’ referring to the light bulb itself. It becomes complex when the ‘historic’ and ‘deciding if’ should do something or not. It is a mere comparison of topics from simple to the complexity of topics and the possible debates to ensue.

So tell me where do I have history wrong when I was talking about writing topics not facts or history?

Although I'm sure humans have a long and noble history of creating topics, I'm not aware of any attempt to record it, and wonder if doing so would be a tautology or infinite loop. If you absolve yourself of any responsibility to reflect your intent, the facts, or logic, your writing can have no wrongs.

The Oatmeal strip

Ok, MadelaineMcMasters, let us try this one more time and keep the same eight points of your focus.

Point 1: I had thanked you for the link and stated that he had a strong opinion, but I did not question the historic facts in which the author used.

Point 2: One of the responsibilities of the parent is to teach their children the difference between fantasy and reality. It worked for my parents because I never read Doctor Strange or Ghost Rider, thought it was factual, and could be used in school as a current event. Comic books are a form of Entertainment. Otherwise, we need to question novels such as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter since our children may read it and think it was true.

Point 3: It depends on the method or style used by the writer. Albert Einstein has written some the most poetic pieces scientific papers. Some of the most dreadful things that I have read pertain to medical field because the writer had no imagination or style of writing.

Point 4: I suppose the part of ‘easy to write about something’ disappeared like the will o wisp in some dreary marsh for you. I suppose you would be correct if other actions are included with writing. I deal with a 3 year-old and a 1 year-old every day, so I know something about difficulties. I was being logical not condescension, but if it helps you sleep so beit.

Point 5: Some days it seems as if reason is a rubber ball thrown at a brick wall, when I am trying to explain something to an individual such as yourself. The Edison and Tesla was an example of a writing topic in which can be either fictional or non-fictional. I cannot get any clearer. If you really feel that strongly about that writing topic, why not write about it. I am more interested in space science especially in regards of travel. It makes for great sci-fi.

Point 6: If you are suggesting that I am trying to treat each side fairly, I will take that as compliment coming from you. Many years back, I wrote a composition on ‘journalism’ and touched on ethics and ‘yellow journalism’. I promised the readers that I would always present them with both sides of the coin so to speak. It is interesting to read both sides on any subject. The perfect example is the different camps arguing for or against Pluto being a planet or not. Years ago, a great shop teacher taught the class something about perception in which I remember it as if it was a shining star. To paraphrase Mr.Little-John’s lesson, he held out a comic book with cover towards Wilhelm and asked him to describe it. He described the cover art, read the title, and pointed which were the protagonist and the antagonist. Facing Mary, Little-John held the stem of the comic book and asked her to describe what she saw. Jamie described it as best as she could to the class. Little-John demonstrated to class how two individuals can perceive the same thing differently from each other. I am suggesting that everything has one or more points of perception.

Point 7: I feel we human should be honored that you have even acknowledged that we ‘have a long and noble history of creating topics’ such as these fine philosophers Thales, Socrates, Epictetus, Aquinas, Spinoza, Dewey, and too many others to even list. As your species is far superior to us mere humans, I am sure that some of us would delight in sharing one universal thought with no repeating of ideas and be deprived to develop our thoughts and share them with others. I have no need to pardon my ability to find something in which stirs something within you.

Point 8: You start the question by saying, “If you are now stating that your mention of Edison and Tesla was not meant to convey any information, but just a string of words intended to show that one could manufacture a topic…” Eureka! I am always noticing talents within a person and encouraging them to explore those talents. I always maintained that their only limitation is the scope of their own imagination. Unless asked for a topic or unless about something I have written, I will not tell another writer what or how to write his or her works.

You finish with the actual question, “what distinguishes your effort from a random process?” I decide if I want to fictional or non-fictional first. Develop a framework of ideas using either line-by-line or balloon methods. Research the area in which I am going to be writing. Example: If I am writing something with space travel, I would want how far into space will be travelled and the possible side effects deep space travel. How far along is the development of ion propulsion compared to nuclear (fission or fusion)? Are there aliens and what would they look like? Are they intelligent or primal? I develop the basic elements for the story build on those ideas. The most important part is the cup of sugar with a bit of coffee before and during the entire process.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.