What good are keeping a list within the profile's picks?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Several days back, the question whether it went against the Term of Service. It should not been surprising some of the replies that were received. The intention of writing this is to point out a few things about list within an individual’s profile does not mark them as someone looking for or wanting to cause drama with other people. The intent of having different lists is very helpful and useful by way design for many groups or people. Not knowing a person before jumping to an unfounded conclusion may be assuming too much of the individual with such list within their profiles.

Does having a list of people within your profile picks make the individual a person wanting create drama or some form of spectacle? People make list of every subject or topic for any number of reasons. We use ‘to-do’ or ‘honey-do’ every day. Within the various forms of media, we have the ‘top-40’, ‘best-dressed’ or ‘worst-dressed’ that shows the trend in the pop-culture at any given time. The idea of most lists is to impose some sort order for an individual such as a ‘to-do’, ‘personal goals’, or ‘pros-and-cons’. Dr.CynthiaGreen quoted as saying, “To my mind, the difference would be where lists support your quality of life or where they begin to impede your quality of life—where having your list perfected gets in the way of your functioning, or having too many lists. It’s a matter of how you use them. They can give you control in a certain way, but you don’t want them to be the only thing you do to gain control.” Should a list of names of people within an individual’s profile mar them as people looking or wanting to create drama for themselves or others, the answer is no.

If a list of names is not for drama, what does the individual use it? The first thing that comes to mind is memory issues, so a person may create a list of things or people that they would otherwise forget. On the other hand, it could be use to help others in some situations. Some groups request the members to create a list of things in which they could or would do during a RP (role-play) or a list people that they are not willing RP with because person issues, because the GM or DM would need to know in order write out an event for the group. After writing a brief storyline for an antagonist, a list of events where laid out and sat into motion. Some of the members later some said it was one of the best RPs. If it were not for those sort of list, the RP would have been doomed from the get go, because the blocked people would have no idea what was going on during that event. Role-Play as far as a game is a sort of ‘drama’, because you are acting out a role. It is no different from stage acting, or a type of show watched on the telly.

Let us examine the ‘what’ and the ‘who’ of the list. The list is entitled Stay Away From Me Please and gave a list of names without anything negative or positive about those on the list. After reading the “Agreement” and the “Terms of Service”, the rules had not been breached by the list. Two of those people had harassed my Second Life partner in which is my real life wife trying to get me to change it. Surprise, I am only there long enough to help do things and off playing some MMO or MMORPG, because the monsters do not try to “God-Mod” your character regardless of the history or storyline in which spent days or weeks to develop your character.

The first time the ‘list’ topic posted got some interesting replies. Some of the thoughts as being dull witted or outright very brusque towards anyone creating such a list without first asking for the clarification of its creation or its use in the profile. Inferring a meaning to a vague statement is understandable thus easy to forgive because of the miscommunication. As the misconceived advice given, the answers gave are thrown out and a more suitable question asked in its placement. What should the list be renamed to suit RPs?

Dr. Cynthia Green http://cynthiagreenphd.com/

The Top 100 RPGs of All Time list http://www.ign.com/top/rpgs

I have to admit to not reading every last word you wrote, simply because you droned on about for far too long without really going anywhere.

But, if I were to guess what a condensed version of your issue would be, I'd say that you're a bit miffed because some people think your creating of a list of people you don't play well with and posting it on your profile, strikes them as some sort of drama inducing device... am I right?  Regardless, this is the way I shall tackle this queery.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the simple fact that you felt you had to come here and start this whole soliloquy about this issue, shows that it's causing you some concern.  If you had no names in your profile, I doubt that you'd consider it a problem.  The mere fact that it seems to be an issue for you, leads me to believe that it is, indeed, causing you some sort of drama.  Therefore, I must conclude that, yes, your insistence on keeping your list is nothing more than an attempt to facilitate your ongoing need for the creation of drama, or else you would not be so insistent that it remain in place.

You could always test this theory by removing the list and noting whether or not it remains an issue.  Otherwise, we're all just left to speculate as to how your life might improve or worsen without it, with no real proof as to the justification of our own hypotheses.

...Dres (I tried to make my reply as long-winded and convoluted as the post to which I was replying, but I believe that I have failed miserably in my attempt to do so... perhaps next time I should try harder.)

List? Why are these people on a List?  Are the people on the list the bad guys or is the maker of the list the bad guy?

First impressions are a lot of times wrong, but no matter what your intention is, walking around with such a list in your profile is going to make some people avoid you as a drama llama.  ... Just Saying

However it is your SL so do what you please. If I find my name on the list though, I'm going to have a few pointed questions for you.:smileyvery-happy:

I like that people are more amused by reading your list than reading your posts. I think it shows the amount of attention this topic deserves. To help with your reading comprehension, tl;dr is shorthand for Too long; didn't read.

I'm sure many have checked out your profile and read this list out of sheer curiosity (I know I have, I even went to see the profiles of the names listed there, they seem like reasonable enough people), but no-one in this thread so far has pointed out that your opening post was copy-pasted twice, back-to-back. I would be surprised if anyone had read what you typed at all.

Interest: You don't have it. The list of noob-names you immaturely scrawled in your profile is what defines you. (You can fix this if you want)

Before you get too thrilled, I didn't read anything past the first line of each paragraph.

Rather than list avatars that you wish would 'stay away' from you, why not just block them?  You will not receive objects, notecards, IMs or anything else from them.  If they are in your vicinity, they will be invisible but for their name.  So, rather than play the dramazzzz card by putting names in your profile, just block.  Easy peasy and you are in control.

Thank you very much. I bow and show the proper respect to a lady. I suppose the next step is deciding whether the RPGroups rules are worth the pain in the arse or write it off go on my merry way. Point being is that it was the RPs that I continued after I met my wife. Next suggest just might about good old fashion RPGs. Again, I thank you. Bow and tip my hat to you in the deepest of respect.

JackWolf Schiner wrote:

Hard to create drama when I only log in may a total 15 minutes an entire month. Thanks for your opinion.

It probably took you longer to write that tl:dr post than the amount of time you log in every month.

Why do you even care if that is all that you log in?

I found your post a bit difficult to comprehend, so forgive me if I didn't. It seems you've created a list of RPers who unravel the character you so painstakingly create during your average of 30 seconds in-world each day. You want these people to stop interfering with your character, or you at least want other people to know you want these people to stop.

You didn't specify how you distribute your 15 in-world minutes a month, so I'll consider three scenarios:

1. You log in for 30 seconds a day. If so, I admire your ability to develop a character under such a time constraint. At the 30 second mark, I'm often still waiting for my shoes to rez while frantically trying to dispose of messages from groups I joined simply to look cool. I imagine it's difficult to craft the nuances of a good character while rezzing. Server Size Appearance may add precious seconds to your character development time, but if it doesn't, I think you'd find it more productive to role play a cloud.

2. But let's say you log in for three minutes and forty five seconds every Friday evening. You've rezzed in the middle of an ongoing RP, maybe an intimate one, you've cleared messages and you're ready to go. There's no time for hellos, so you get right to work. If you are one of those paragraph people, you can probably fire off an admirable one before you log out, forcing the others to hurl their replies into empty space. I recommend sending IMs to e-mail so you can keep track of the RPs story arc. Three minutes, forty-five is too tight for playing catch up. You've got to hit the ground typing.

3. Or maybe you log in for fifteen minutes on the first Monday morning of the month. Cup of coffee in hand, you wipe the sand from your eyes, log-in, leisurely check IMs, then craft a missive worthy of Dashiell Hammet. There's nobody around to hear it of course, it's Monday morning. Perfect! Your concentration won't be broken. You can post a notecard to the group members, as if sending a telegram in the wee hours from some mysterious foreign port. Remember to write "STOP" at the end of each sentence for that noir touch.

I like #3 the best. You can be mysterious, you have time to plan your moves, nobody will know, or remember who you are. Each notecard will be a self sufficient sonnet, sailed into the sunrise of a Monday morning with all the promise a new week brings.

However, in none of these scenarios do I find the need to maintain a public "Stay Away from Me Please" list. It seems to me that by staying away yourself, you've accomplished a goal no list could.

Bravo to your efficiency, Mr. Schiner!

JackWolf Schiner wrote:

You did not read the part of GM or DM's writing for events and the RP owners asking members to do so.

IF your "Stay Away From Me Please" list is for RP but being taken out of context then why not rename it as "No RP with these please"?  Being specific cures a lot of drama.

Well there are probably as many reasons for lists as there are lists plus combinations of lists and people. That's a lot.  ;)

Your post was amusing, JackWolf. 

People put other people in their Picks because they want to show those people are 'special' to them. Whether that's for the other person's benefit, or they think the world needs to know for some reason, or they want to prove someone else will talk to them besides their family or themselves...I don't know.

The smarter ones make sure the teleport point is not their home location.

The mischievous ones make sure the teleport point is somewhere dangerous or embarrassing for the errant clicker.

As for lists of warning, TOS disclaimers, RP rules, etc., I suppose that's for expediency sake? It can take a lot of energy to type or to hit ALT + a key to relay that information more than once. There are Cheetos to be munched. A person only has two hands.

Hope that helped.

Melita Magic wrote:

Well there are probably as many reasons for lists as there are lists plus combinations of lists and people. That's a lot.  
;)

Your post was amusing, JackWolf. 

People put other people in their Picks because they want to show those people are 'special' to them. Whether that's for the other person's benefit, or they think the world needs to know for some reason, or they want to prove someone else will talk to them besides their family or themselves...I don't know.

The smarter ones make sure the teleport point is not their home location.

The mischievous ones make sure the teleport point is somewhere dangerous or embarrassing for the errant clicker.

As for lists of warning, TOS disclaimers, RP rules, etc., I suppose that's for expediency sake? It can take a lot of energy to type or to hit ALT + a key to relay that information more than once. There are Cheetos to be munched. A person only has two hands.

Hope that helped.

^^^MY BOLDING^^^

I know, this may be a terrible thing to do, but a few of my lady friends use the SL Gay Mens Museum  for their picks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.