Deploys for the week of 2013-08-19

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

This is a minor issue really, Caleb, but this thread could warrant your attention.

Grid Status failure: RC rollout not reported

Hmm hyperlink failure. :smileysad:

Twitter says:

SLGridstatus-twitter.jpg

The link given in Twitter leads to:

SLGridstatus-reports.jpg

:matte-motes-sour:  :matte-motes-yawn:

It seems that somebody making the tweet has not had enough sleep.

Marie Resch wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Marie Resch wrote:

Well my experiences after the rollout were very mixed.

My partner couldn't see any layers on the body itself, but could see prims and mesh attached to me.  We figured out that he had not done a completely clean install of the new viewer - I had to tell him where to go in Win7 64bit to find the other files that needed deleting.  Once he did that and reinstalled, he could see layers on the body instead of gray.

Others who probably also didn't know what "clean install" all entailed saw something completely different - they saw me as completely naked, save any prim or mesh attachments I wore.  I was at Fermi Sandbox and was informed by a manager that I was naked.  I changed outfits to one with a kilt and the manager told me he could see the kilt, but the rest of me still appeared to be naked.  He sent me home, and sent me a picture of what he saw, and he DID see me naked - he didn't even see the tattoo layers I was wearing.

I switched to a completely mesh outfit and went to a friend's sim.  They saw the mesh, but did not perceive the alpha layers I was wearing underneath, so again, naked pieces of me were showing through the mesh.

I don't know if you can write something which can assist people in cleaning out the files that are not deleted with a standard uninstall, but if you can, this might be extremely helpful, or this thread will be flooded with people seeing either grey bodies or naked bodies with just attachments.

Just a suggestion, because 9 out of 10 computer users do NOT know how to go into their folders and find the bits and pieces us geeks know to delete.

Marie Resch

We at SL Answers have been giving out the Clean Install information for many months leading up to this deployment.  This includes full instructions for the deletion of the support folders found in the /appdata areas of the various Windows OS versions including Windows 8. This Clean Install method is a reliable repair option for a number of SL Viewer issues related but not limited to "
Compromised XML configuration files, Caches with non clearing textures in them, texture indices that will not reset.
" - an example post is found below.

As we have been fielding questions regarding unusual Viewer failures for as long as I can remember I'm amazed that more people using the SL Answers forum have not run across our Clean Install mandate. One of the most notable failures when using these instructions is when the OP chooses to skip the clean-out step. Redirecting them to complete the Clean Install/reinstall as written usually remedies this issue.

Thank you for providing a 2nd POV testimony regarding this important SL Viewer repair method. BTW - It works great in situations where Firestorm is acting up as well.

My 10 Cents Worth
- I wish SL would simply include the "Uninstall All Support Files" option as one of the uninstall selections. 

I also know that most SL users don't think or don't know to look in Second Life Answers - it would help tremendously if a reference was made to these tutorials/instructions on a person's dashboard or something.

I'm not having any problems, because I did do a clean install; however, I don't want to be hassled going across the grid because othes haven't and they see me naked, if you know what I mean
:P

Thanks for the information.

P.S. The major link in the middle of that information is apparently broken.  It said page does not exist.

Link Repaired - Now here is an issue I'd love LL to fix. The automatic tuncation of HTTP links when you copy them - Grrrrrr - LOL :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.