Sign in to follow this  
KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga

Curious question about furries in RP

I was thinking about this today and I'm honestly very curious.

Why do almost all RP places ban furries?

I understand realistic urban/city life RP not allowing furries because that would be strange so I'm a-ok on that.

However! I've seen so many fantasy and sci-fi rp sims banning furries because they 'don't fit in / will be a distraction' or even without a given reason.

Why is this? You allow aliens to roam around but the second a sentient dog shows up it's all 'oh no you broke my concentration this is so unrealistic!'. ????

In fantasy we've got angels and werewolves and mermaids and people that are half goat but ooohhh no don't be a walking talking cat that's totally gonna break us from our world.

When did this banning happen and why has it persisted? What's the point to ban furs in a sim that allows other species and races? Shoot, even the elderscrolls games have two fur(scaley) species!

What's with the hate?

I was wondering the same and your the not the first person to ask that.. Nobody knows why they allow Lycans and dogs(Fourlegged kind) in Fantasy Sims but not Furries  some Urban Rp Sims even allow Lycans which to me don't make sense but if some of these rp Sims open up to furs they could increase traffic but that's just my opinion 

Nevermind Candii they've been trolling around the forums.

There was an rp place I joined for a whole three days before it got shut down due to the owners having some issues but they were an urban rp sims that allowed furries and there were furs playing as fire dept. Police, one owned/ran a shop like??? What's the problem here?

I didn't see anyone avoiding the furs, they just went about their business rping like usual and nothing was distracting. I'm guessing there's just racism against furs due to uneducated stereotypes and that's really depressing in a virtual world where you can literally run around as a giant strawberry and nobody cares.

Heya Klisties. :matte-motes-grin:

I used to be a furry a while back, although I am predominately a dark elf / Drow now. I used to roleplay back in [old] Aglarond (in 2006) which was a medieval/fantasy roleplay sim, and they allowed furries. I have been through a few other sims between then and now which were medieval/fantasy and had furries.

However, I have noticed most do not allow them.

For medieval/fantasy, the only excuse I can really think of is that all the races allowed on the sim stem from actual real-life mythology, although most have been warped over time so that not all the roleplayed races are the same as what they originally were in mythology (like lycans now, compared to the original medieval folklore of weres). Modern stories and games have had a role in that, I assume...but I digress.

I can not think of an excuse for science-fiction roleplay sims.

In the end, it is all up to the decision of the sim owner(s). If they do not want furries, they do not have to allow furries...no matter how much it upsets furries or how it impacts their sim traffic numbers. It is their own choice, whether we agree with it or not. It is not likable answer, I apologize...but it is what it is.

I have a friend (a Drowess / female dark elf) who began trashing furries in my IM about two months ago. I asked her why, and her only excuse is that furries are weird for being furries...that it is some 'weird mentality' (like our both being murderous Drow isn't, in itself, a weird mindset?). That is when I let her know I used to be a furry, and she went strangely silent before changing the subject.

People think differently and have the right to have their own opinions, even if those opinions are ill-informed...just as we are allowed our own opinions. Nothing can change that. I wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately I do not; it is what it is. :matte-motes-dont-cry:

Edited to fix a misspelled word.

KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga wrote:

I was thinking about this today and I'm honestly very curious.

Why do almost all RP places ban furries?

I understand realistic urban/city life RP not allowing furries because that would be strange so I'm a-ok on that.

However! I've seen so many fantasy and sci-fi rp sims banning furries because they 'don't fit in / will be a distraction' or even without a given reason.

Why is this? You allow aliens to roam around but the second a sentient dog shows up it's all 'oh no you broke my concentration this is so unrealistic!'. ????

In fantasy we've got angels and werewolves and mermaids and people that are half goat but ooohhh no don't be a walking talking cat that's totally gonna break us from our world.

When did this banning happen and why has it persisted? What's the point to ban furs in a sim that allows other species and races? Shoot, even the elderscrolls games have two fur(scaley) species!

What's with the hate?

The simple fact of the matter is that furries have no place in some sorts of sims that are geared toward certain types of RP, even if they are based on fantastical things.  A lot of times people want their sims to fit a specific genre and honestly furries are a genre unto themselves... why should they expect to be included in anyone else's genre RP?

Of course, none of that matters, as land owners have no need to justify the removal of anyone from their property at any time.  If you're unhappy with people kicking you out of places, then go to places where you won't get kicked out... it's as simple as that.

...Dres

In the same vein I could say that those 7 ft tall orange avis with bleach blond hair and giant mesh breasts are 'weird'. But it's not my place to police people on what their avi should look like, and I get upset when people do the same for me.

With medieval, I can totally see why they don't want furs, because a good chunk of them do not have any fantastic elements and therefore a non-human character would be out there.

I'm not arguing that furs should be allowed on all rp sims because they just simply dont belong like how werewolves and drows dont belong on certain rp sims. And that's fine. I get it.

But the places where it would make the most since to a story line and world building to have furs okay'd, they are simply banned. It's not like in a place where they ok furs, they're suddenly going to have an influx of blue and green glowing half mechanical huskies dropping in to a 13th century fantasy sim - not at all! Any fur rper worth their salt will adhere to the dress code and rp under the same expectations set for other species.

I've never personally dropped in on an rp sim as a fur, because one - that's disrespectful to the other rpers, and two - I don't want nor need to start any drama, and by now I know better than to go to any sim without first finding out if it's fur friendly.

I think the issue here is, most people see someone as a fur and they immediately assume this person is a sexual deviant, only wants to get laid, and is sexually attracted to animals. This view was helped along tremendously by that infamous CSI episode (which made me incredibly uncomfortable when I first watched it but anyway), and other unfortunate media portrayal. In reality, these folks are outliners. A lot may joke around and poke fun, but isn't that true for anyone?

I have no interest in participating in this kind of stuff with my fur avis (I have two) because that's just not the point. No, I don't think these avis are my 'animal spirit' or anything of that sort. One of them is a housecat with goat feet like????? The other idk what species he is, I just frankensteined him from like eight avis and called it a day. Is it so wrong I want to explore his character in an rp setting under a genre I'm comfortable with?

As for my usual rp, I rp both on this acc and an alt as a human because thats what I was before and that's what is okay in rp sims and for now I am content, but I still wish more people would educate themselves and not jump to conclusions.

This view was helped along tremendously by that infamous CSI episode (which made me incredibly uncomfortable when I first watched it but anyway), and other unfortunate media portrayal. In reality, these folks are outliners. A lot may joke around and poke fun, but isn't that true for anyone?

I have been in a hotel working security when there was a fur convention there.. I can tell you, the show wasn't that far off. It may not be the norm but it does happen. Just like the BD/SM episodes, I would think most people understand it's just a show and not reality.

I don't think that's a fair generalization. Many furs do not have the funds or means to go to conventions, and even a fewer amount have the funds (easily $400-$2500+) to afford a suit. I'd say the percentage of the ones you saw were very, very small compared to the total collective. 'Vocal minority' and all that. As for the goings on at these conventions, you honestly cannot tell me anime cons and comic con are any different.

And yes, you'd think people would understand that what they see on the show is a dramatization and not 100% indicative of RL, HOWEVER, that is unfortunately not the case.

I don't think that's a fair generalization. Many furs do not have the funds or means to go to conventions, and even a fewer amount have the funds (easily $400-$2500+) to afford a suit. I'd say the percentage of the ones you saw were very, very small compared to the total collective. 'Vocal minority' and all that. As for the goings on at these conventions, you honestly cannot tell me anime cons and comic con are any different.

And yes, you'd think people would understand that what they see on the show is a dramatization and not 100% indicative of RL, HOWEVER, that is unfortunately not the case.

I have been to quite a few comic cons and anime cons.. never saw a group of cosplayers in a pile getting off. There were 1500 people there.. 90% had fursuits. I honestly don't know how many Furs there are in the US, i would guess you don't either. So neither of us has any idea what percentage of them have suits, of any sort. I saw people with airbrushed body fur, muzzles, paws and feet on.. I would guess that is a hell of a lot cheaper than a full suit.

As to peoples reaction to furs in SL, at one point there were a lot of "bad furs" roaming around and forcing themselves on and into people RP. Not caring a tinkers dam what the rules of the sim were. Perhaps that is where the bias against furs stems from. Personally i like furs, i have several different types myself.

Hm. When did this happen? I've only been rping on SL since mid 08 and I never heard or experienced this at all. Though that definitely could be the reason. However, if it was a while ago, you'd think people would lift the ban or new sims wouldn't have the ban.

Hm. When did this happen? I've only been rping on SL since mid 08 and I never heard or experienced this at all. Though that definitely could be the reason. However, if it was a while ago, you'd think people would lift the ban or new sims wouldn't have the ban.

old fears die hard. Why are there so many clubs that wont hire anyone under 90 days old? planty of brand new people with skils.. old habits. Que sera sera.

moderating several sims, a lot of the troublemakers we get are furs, brand new avatars, or both (brand new furs).

We don't ban furs or new avatars outright, but we are exceedingly wary about them and watch them like hawks when they arrive, because they're a big red flag.

And as said, many RP places are set around a well defined theme, a theme that does not include furries. Just because something is "fantasy roleplay", that doesn't mean anything goes. Most fantasy worlds are set up around a very well defined set of races, usually all humanoid at the very least (humans, certain types of elves, maybe a few others, but no anthropomorphisised animals).

I'm a fulltime nudist myself, which means a lot of places are closed to me for the same reason, there's no place there for nudists. I don't whine about that, it's a consequence of my decision on how to create my SL persona. If I wanted to play there, I'd be able to change that persona and put some clothes on, same as a furry in SL can don another avatar and be human.

Hello  KlistiesSeMio

Where would a furry role-play?  What is the history of furries?  For me I don't understand furries and perhaps that's the issue in general?  I want to build for furries but when thinking about a build I'm left scratching my head because when looking at profiles of any furry I encounter they seem to display who they will / won't sleep with and the preferences for the partner.  That may appear to be a bit of a blanket statement but those are the profiles I've seen - (I'm going to say sorry here and now to any full-time furry out there who reads this post and doesn't display said information).

Puzzled

Black

From what I know in my own experiences it's a problem that goes way back to early RP in Secondlife. The problem was that Sims would create a specific theme that had no place for furry avatars, but the furries would get all bent out of shape about this and instead of respecting the environment the sim owners were trying to create they would gang up and harass the sim. Sometimes this even involved using sim crashers to keep everyone on the sim from being able to enjoy the environment.

This escalated over the years, and when Sim owners were finally given the rights to manage their own estates and ban whoever they wanted without having to call in the linden police, the prejudice was already there. 

A lot of sims will note "No furry avatars, it doesn't fit our theme" but you still see furry avatars show up on the sim to grief those people because they 'think it's funny'. This is why there is so much hate as you put it. It's a two way street, but there's a few bad apples that leave a bad impression for the greater audience. 

Throw in that the RP community in SL is pretty small and gossip travels at light speed, what happens in one sim is known all over the RP community in SL before the day is out. The repeated offenses of furries disrespecting, griefing, and disobeying rules continues to reinforce the sim owner's concerns with allowing them to participate.

BlackMagi Darkwatch wrote:

Hello 
KlistiesSeMio

Where would a furry role-play?  What is the history of furries?  For me I don't understand furries and perhaps that's the issue in general?  I want to build for furries but when thinking about a build I'm left scratching my head because when looking at profiles of any furry I encounter they seem to display who they will / won't sleep with and the preferences for the partner.  That may appear to be a bit of a blanket statement but those are the profiles I've seen - (I'm going to say sorry here and now to any full-time furry out there who reads this post and doesn't display said information).

Puzzled

Black

I've met a lot of furs who do not do this and a lot of humans who do. I thinkt he "who I'll sleep with" list is a universal thing. IMO your letting pre-concieved notions and perhaps prejudice influence your memory here. I mean where did you meet these furs? If it was in a adult sim that owuld explain it and if you checked a lot of human profiles you'd see hte same sorta thing. If you were to go to say a furry specific sim on a M or G rated area you'd see the oppisite. Depends on where you are i find with this kinda thing. And nope. I'm not a furry IRL. I do have some furry avatars because I think there cute but I wouldn't call myself a true furry in second life either as most of the time I'm a humaniod (elf/demon/catgirl). You know just in case you thought I was just saying this because I was a furry or something. lolz

Hi Madeline

I scoured the Internet yesterday and did some research on Furries and realise now that the questions I asked are never going to be answered, they can’t be as the questions are down to an individual.  My confusion was caused by not being able to pigeon-hole a furry like you can with a vampire/demon/human.  Well, actually that’s not true – you can pigeon-hole a furry, you can say that a furry is someone who likes to dress up as their ‘fursona’ and walk on 2 legs ‘anthropomorphic’. 

It wasn’t until I had read and watched some interviews that I realised that whilst playing a Neko in CCS that I was also a furry!  “Preconceived notions”, sure, we were on an adult sim for a time – “prejudice?”  Absolutely not.  I still check out profiles of all our visitors and that is why I made the statement above in my original post.  It’s a shame though that a few bad apples have spoilt the barrel but, I will say thank you to the OP who made me go off and learn something new :)

Not puzzled any more

Black

Link for further reading: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Hi Madeline

I scoured the Internet yesterday and did some research on Furries and realise now that the questions I asked are never going to be answered, they can’t be as the questions are down to an individual.  My confusion was caused by not being able to pigeon-hole a furry like you can with a vampire/demon/human.  Well, actually that’s not true – you can pigeon-hole a furry, you can say that a furry is someone who likes to dress up as their ‘fursona’ and walk on 2 legs ‘anthropomorphic’. 

It wasn’t until I had read and watched some interviews that I realised that whilst playing a Neko in CCS that I was also a furry!  “Preconceived notions”, sure, we were on an adult sim for a time – “prejudice?”  Absolutely not.  I still check out profiles of all our visitors and that is why I made the statement above in my original post.  It’s a shame though that a few bad apples have spoilt the barrel but, I will say thank you to the OP who made me go off and learn something new
:)

Not puzzled any more

Black

Woah woah woah... Slow down there tiger.. Nekos are not furries. They have their own category. A neko is a neko and a furry is a furry. Ears, feet and a tail don't make you a furry, seeing as a neko is a cat only. Neko means cat in Japanese. A furry is an anthropomorphic creature. Basically an animal on two legs.. Bugs Bunny fits the bill quite easily. Josie and the **bleep** cats would be nekos.

ETA  are you kidding me? Pu$$y cats got bleeped? Seriously? You guys at LL need to fix this crap.

--||-

I think you misunderstood. Lemme quote further back for you: "As for my usual rp, I rp both on this acc and an alt as a human because thats what I was before and that's what is okay in rp sims and for now I am content..."

I'm only saying I wish I could rp with my furs as I do with my human avis. I actually have far more of those. If you look below, I have a wide range of avis (not pictured: all the animal and misc avis! & my alt's avi) and I rp with most of them. EXCEPT the furries. Because I cannot. But I want to. See my issue?

Untitled-1.png

I don't know if myself and my friends are just outliers, but if you looked at my profile, you'll see I have none of that business on my profile because that's not what I'm doing on SL. As for what to make, shoot. Anything. I troll the regular human fashion blogs, buy up all the new mesh houses because I may or may not have an issue (shhh they're pretty) and spend way too  much on gatcha machines with cute things inside. Furs really aren't any different.

Idea? Maybe some more digitigrade pants???

Ahh oh gosh thank you. THIS was a concrete answer. Thank you so much.

See I've only been on SL since the tail end of 07 and I didn't start rping til mid 08. I think I might have missed this issue, or it never really showed up on the places I frequented.

Generally, at least where I rp, the griefers tend to be oversized avis and/or avi vehicles/machines

Hi Madeline

It wasn’t until I had read and watched some interviews that I realised that whilst playing a Neko in CCS that I was also a furry!  “Preconceived notions”, sure, we were on an adult sim for a time – “prejudice?”  Absolutely not.  I still check out profiles of all our visitors and that is why I made the statement above in my original post.  It’s a shame though that a few bad apples have spoilt the barrel but, I will say thank you to the OP who made me go off and learn something new
:)

Not puzzled any more

Black

You can't really pigeon hole any of the groups you meantioned not all vamps/demons/humans are the same either. I may be a demon but my personality isn't like a stereotypical demon for instance. There are kawaii demons/sexy demons/mean demons/etc. Nekos aren't furry's either I've been a neko for a long time I wan't a furry then. It's good you're doing research though. Yes making judgements base don preconcieved notions is a form of prejudice especially if your to act on that assumption. Infac that's teh very way prejudice works! I'm not saying your a bad person nessicailry because of it well all have some minor prejudices it's how you handle it that matters.

Hey i found a awesome place but they don't have rp as of yet but check them out its very cyberish i know thats not what your looking for but still give it a look  its called the Abyss :D

I can understand perfecty why people wouldn't want furries in a rp enviroment. Often enough they're distracting and clash terribly with the setting. A bright colored husky demon? 

What bothers me is when I'm reading a sims 'guidelines' and they talk about how open they are to so many races and creatures! Yet, I ask about an anthro unicorn that fits the setting and I get 'tsked' and blown off. Then they let some 'gyp*y' sterotype run around. Its boggling for the most part.

I'm ended up giving up on most fantasy roleplays. Not because they don't accept furries, but only because they seem to accept cookie cutter races. 

Also lycans of course lol