Second Life with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit ( Question )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys ,

recently changed my XP to windows 7 64 bit

And second life is really acting weird , i use to run on windows xp 32 bit until someone told me to run on 64 to uncover my 4rth ram gig hehe

Anyways on 32 bit second life ran very well ( yes lots of crashes but almost no lag )

Now on the windows 7 / 64 bit , when i start it everything is fine for about 2 minutes then once everything is loaded it starts acting up ( really slow camera movement )

Any ideas why that would be ?

Computer info :

( It's a PC - Desktop )

Processor : AMD Athlon (tm) II x4 630 processor 2.81 GHz

Ram : 4.00 GB

Card : Nvidia GT 9500

It sounds like you are out of memory.

While you have enabled acces to an extra 1GB of memory, Winows 7 footprint is much larger than Windows XP. Net gain is just about nothing or in your case negative.

4GB isn't enough for Windows 7 to do much useful, especially when the viewer regularly consumes over 1GB

You may not be running SL in the compatibility mode -- Here is a relevant article

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2010/08/windows-7-64-bit-second-life-no.html

As you can see, I was running win7/64 Back in Aug, 2012.  I don't think I had more that 4 GB of memory, but I don't know.  I do know that Win put SL in a special directory that was reserved for 32 bit software.  For me, the installs were (are)  automatic, but I gather something can go wrong.   I found instructions for handling that condition and gave a link in the article.

TKR

Sry the compatibilty mode did not help.   I followed problems with win7/64 back in 2010-11.  Never heard of people running out of memory as easily as you seem to have done.  You have probably tried this:

1.  Check what loads on start and cut out what you can.

2. Restart windows.  

3. Start SL and try it before you start anything else.  

Use Ctrl + Alt -Del  to open Task Manager, then check Physical Memory (under the performance tab).  

I just checked that load on my system (with no effort to reduce memory load).  With SL and 6 broswer windows open, I still have  2.4 GB available on my 6 GB system.  I am a little doubful that memory is your problem.  

You're right with everything open ... well look i still have memory available and sl is still running awfully slow :

http://gyazo.com/8b27c6af80b43c7c732261b829a991bb

Really weird tough , wish i understood more about computers 

Oh and nothing except my anti-virus and nvidia dashboard when i start up the computer , i installed windows 7 just yesterday so theres practicly nothing on my computer 

But we got the memory part  settled.   Your machine shold not be slow

Here are more suggestions:

Go to the Nvidea site and get new drivers-- The ones that came with windows are out of date --  This may not fix it , but you need them anyway

Be sure you are testing with a wired connection.  

Here are some article with suggestions -- they may not fit your problem, but we are out of frist guesses

TKR

Yes good one although I would have expected you to have experienced the same with Windowx XP too.  

You may also want to keep an eye on the CPU temperature as it's common for them to speed step down to a slower speed when they are too hot.

What was it on the GPU, a stuck fan? 

Yes , but my theory is since i ran on the 32x version of XP it probably asked for less from my computer , so dint heat up my card . And i do know that windows 7 asks for more and the 64 even more cauz it manages the ram much better than 32x .

And yes i installed an app that shows the temeperature on my desktop lol so when i get near 100 i close sl for a while or put the fan higher 

It *could* be cause because w7 has aero, it could in theory add a continious extra strain on the gpu for it to be warmer then in xp (just a guess) and when running sl ontop of it, it`s maxed as sl is efficient as, well, nothing :P

Would suggest to disconnect the pc, put it on a table and clean everything well so you get your maximum airflow, if you can find a spot so it`s in some draft/easy to dump heat away from it the better
You could always buy some cheap 120mm fans to increase airflow over the gpu to cool the pbc and fresh air for the gpu fan to take in

Nvidia published the max safe temps for the GT 9500 at 105c, ofcourse there is some room as "max safe" is simply a warning not to push it much further as components can start to get damaged, also the efficiency of the card will start to drop slightly
Also another thing to keep in mind at those temps is that the gpu will give alot of area heat and transfer the heat trough the slot to the motherboard itself and this will affect all components attached to the motherboard ontop of their normal operating temp (not problem for components but just something to know when dealing with heat issues)

Keep the 64-bit windows.

Get the free program CPU-Z. Use it to find what type of memory is in your computer. It will tell you what type (PC3200) and size (1gb) of memory sticks you have. Check the type to find out how many pins the stick has. 

Next look for your motherboard brand and model. Look up the mother board to find out the fastest memory speed it can support. Also, look to see how many sticks of memory it will support. Most desktop boards will support 4 sticks. New boards will hold 8. Some cheap boards only 2.

With the motherboard brand/model we can find a picture of it online. From that we can tell you what you can do.

Research the memory for your pin count, for example search on: 240 pin RAM. Find the fastest available you motherboard can support. You can put faster memory in a slower motherboard. Putting slower memory in a faster motherboard can be a problem, but not a disaster.

Then go on eBay and look for the memory you want. They do make 4GB memory sticks. The problem is whether they make them for you particular motherboard. Chances are they do. 4GB sticks tend to be pricey. With patience you can find a deal.

Adding or changing out memory is easy. It can only be plugged in one way. Only compatible memory will fit in your memory slot. Compatible in the sense that it won't short out the computer. 

A decent tutorial... See: 

- I generally turn my computer off, flop it over on its side, slide the side panel off, most have a couple of screws that hold the panel on. You can see the existing memory. There are more videos on YouTube on how to install memory and disassemble computers. Dell makes great manuals for their computers with disassmbly instructions.

Static electricity is the biggest hazard to your computer when working inside the case. As the video shows, keep a hand on the case as much as possible. I like to have the computer plugged in and off, that keeps it connected to the main ground in you home's electrical system. Some want it disconnected in case the home wiring is messed up, in which case you could 110v inside the case. That would be a BIG problem.

Home Depot makes way cheap wiring checkers that just plug into the wall socket you use. For a number of reasons that is a good check to make any place when you first move in. Some old homes, government housing, and DIY additions have problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.